Symptoms following decompression surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there I has decompression surgery 12 weeks ago. I was doing really well ns was happy with my progress. At that point 9 weeks post of he confirmed I had low pressure headaches and advice was given he booked in for my 2 month follow up mri.

Post surgery I had numb hands numbNess in my back my eyes were not responding to light and dark. I suffered horrific pain and presser at the back of my head I had also started hi a lot of pain from lay to sit sit to stand. After surgery all these symptoms went till about 2 weeks ago alk the obvove came back plus new symptoms a tremmer blurred vision. My gp to one at me and said I have the symptoms that I have either are hydrocephalus or cerabel tonsil drop. My gp has requested an urgent referral my NS and to bring my mri forward. I'm so confused at the moment and don't know what to think. My gp said if he wasn't aware that I had had decompression surgery he would diagnostic me with chiari malformation! I'm intrested to know if anybody has had this experience and was it discovered that further surgery was needed. Many thanks Jaquie

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi jaquie,

I can't address after surgery very well. I went to the ER as I was symptomatic. This was a very prominent hospital in GA. A team of neurologists were sent to assess me. Their response to me was physical therapy and psychiatric help. What followed was about 25-35 trips to the ER. Over and over they would do CT or MRI or

give me a shot of Ativan say nothing was wrong and send me home.

Unfortunately, the shrink thought I had mental problem (nobody could have that many problems) so now I'm crazy 😜. Lets put her on meds. Bottom line they don't have a clue. I have a wonderful life, husband and family.

Did anything get accomplished? Yes the csf flow was corrected. Chiari is progressive and I wish doctors could be honest with their patients. Here is a list of Chiari symptoms.

Subject: Chiari Brain malformation

Below are some of the many

symptoms suffered by people with Chiari. Keep in mind that every patient is different and these symptoms are not listed in order of frequency or severity:

1. Headaches (made worse by coughing, sneezing or straining)

2. Neck Pain

3. Difficulty Sleeping

4. Muscle Weakness

5. Numbness

6. Unsteady walking

7. Poor hand coordination

8. Slurred speech

9. Blurred vision

10. Dizziness

11. Fatigue

12. Sleep Apnea

13. Difficulty thinking and concentrating

14. Shoulder pain

15. Weakness in hands

16. Nausea

17. Shortness of breath

18. Difficulty Swallowing

19. Leg weakness

20. Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)

21. Memory problems

22. Abdominal pain

23. Chest pain

24. Depression

25. Anxiety

26. Arm pain

27. Hoarse voice

28. Sensitivity to light

29. Poor or loss of hearing

30. Episodes of rapid heart rate

31. Black out spells

32. Double vision

33. Frequent urination

34. Abnormal gag reflex

35. Hypertension

36. Hypotension

37. Nystagmus (fast, uncontrollable movements of the eyes)

38. Palpitations (abnormal heart beats)

39. Vomiting

40. Visual loss

41. Earaches

42. Nosebleeds

43. Snoring

44. Thoracic pain

45. Wake up choking

46. Curvature of the spine

47. Abnormal breathing

I'm only one person. I can say it took me about six years 5 PCP 3 Neurologist 3 gynecologist 1 cardiologist and 3 optomologists 4 gastrointestinal 1optometrist to determine I had Chiari. I thinks that shows there's not a lot of training Chiari. I wish you the best on your journey.

We have to help each other if it's only by by telling our stories. May God Bless🙏

• Posted

Hi Apple62 come and Jpin chiari support uk this site is great it's full of lovely supportive people who have and haven't had surgery. We are there to support each other and help ppl get through the process of surgery but also to support in times of need

• Posted

Sounds like there may be some slippage. That would be where despite the surgery opening up space, the tonsils go back down through the foramen magnum. My surgeon cauterized my tonsils so the went back up into my skull.  They other things could be scar tissue or some kind of leak. Definitely  need to get another MRI and see what's going on. Good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.