Symptoms of Acute Diverticulis- Please Share Yours

Posted , 7 users are following.

My very first attack was Jan 23, 2017 I woke up at 2:00AM to the most horrid pain below belly buttom that contiued all night and day non stop! At about 8:00 AM I went to bathroom to find a bloody mucos discharge I knew then something was wrong went to ER had the ct scan w/dye and tons of blood work and bowel and urine sample CT SCAN confirmed Diverticulis and white blood was a little over 11,000 What I like to know is other peoples first Acute attack requiring medical attention. Also does each and everytime we have to do these horrid antibotics? Plus does anyone know of an all naturtal approach to take when infected and white blod cell gets high showing infection. I know when better to start the metamucil and watch my diet. Why is it we can't have choclate or caffiene I LOVE dark chocolate or carbonated water it was on my paper work from hosiptal but didnt say why it just said advoid. By sharing this really helps us all.   Thanks

3 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That's interesting about the chocolate, I have begun to wonder if chocolate is a problem for me.  Just before my last attack three weeks ago, I was eating a lot of chocolate left over from Christmas.

• Posted

Funny that I had some chocolate last week, now you got me thinking
    • Posted

Says advoid chocolate I didn't think it meant chocolate pudding and I had one a litttle bit ago and after eating it it says chocolate and cocoa I thought oh no it had cocoa in it but I already ate it 😒 Lynn or Beth which one of you all went to ER and have your blood work done and given antibiotic was your treatment for 7 days?

• Posted

Never been and never want to my doctor niddle took the blood all five lots
    • Posted

Does anyone get nauseated with this stuff called diverticulitis ???
    • Posted

I have low blood sugar anyways and this antibiotic just caused me a bad one and it kept dropping finally got it to 103 according to my blood monitor The symptoms are so scary I thought I was not going to get threw that one and then panic and anxiety sets in and you have double symptoms sometimes I have to have some else to open something for me because of shaking too bad .
    • Posted

Yes me, I get it and still got it.

Everyday all day long until the diverticulitis has gone at this present moment in time I had it down to twice a day till I had my antibiotics which whooped it back up to all day it comes with every flare up for me, I just try to ignore it which is hard to do. But I have never been sick

I do have travel sickness tablets to fall back on but they were given to me for my lupus but I haven't taken any so far can't say I've not thought about it mond

• Posted

Which do you get the nauseated or low blood suagr?
    • Posted

So Beth you do get the nauseate? What antibiotics are you taken now and how long ?
    • Posted

Have been on metronidazole from Thursday but stopped it today due to the side effects I am calling doctors tomorrow to see if they can prescribe a different one as this one screwed my head up and made me pass out.something diverticulitis don't do

• Posted

Girl, I stopped that nasty metronidazole antibotic too!!  Are you still taking the other one and what is it?
  • Posted

My sister will have a flat out huge flare after eating dark chocolate.
    • Posted

I ate ALOT of 80 % dark organic chocolate bar with ginger ! This stuff has be in a horrible panic !! Tomorrow if the antibiotic don't floor my blood sugar again I'm going to try the met fiber drink for first time it says if you allergic don't do it but if you never cranked it before you don't know if you are or not ! Is there anything hypoallergenic fiber drink ?

• Posted

Check the health food stores. Dont get the powder..get the husks.... I choked on it.
    • Posted

what does Husk mean?  Can you give me a actual name . What stool softner do you use as well since I can't have ex-lax its made out of chocolate

• Posted

Here in the UK its called Fybogel,dont know what its called elsewhere but you can get it from Amazon ,it comes in plain ,orange and lemon flavour, they come in little sachet,you mix it in a tumbler of water and drink it straight down once or twice a day after breakfast and dinner,its been a life saver for me,it regulates you so it helps with constipation and diarrhea.It will take a few days so give it time ,you wont be dissapointed.You dont need anything else like a softner.good luck and stay healthy.
    • Posted

My doc prescribed me laxido its like orange flavour but I've been following a few people on here and sing praises of fibogel so when I see my doc this morning I'm asking for fybogel or metamucil,

And returning my antibiotics as side effects are bad

• Posted

Psylliym husks.. sugar and gluttern free. The brand is Konsyl. I use Col-rite stool softner.
    • Posted

Bethia get on psyllium husk asap. Take twice per day 2 teaspoons in 12 ounces of water. You must speed up your bowels and get the waste moving out of your colon on a regular basis. Once you do this you will no longer experience flare up. Only downside is you're going to the bathroom more often.

• Posted

Try the sugar free psyllium products. Start taking it twice per day in 12 ounces of water and you will stop the diverticulitis in its tracks.
    • Posted

Yvonne I see your taking the psyllium husk and it's working for you. Congrats and let us all know if you have anymore flare ups after being on it.

• Posted

Hi there, i take Fybogel which is slightly different to Metamucil which is Psyllium ,Fybogel is made up of Isphaghula husk and i find it better for me,i used to take Lepicol which is Psyllium and it did help alot but my doc said to try the Fybogel which i now take morning and night after food,i have been feeling great now for about 3 months,i do go to the loo at least once a day sometimes twice but im sure thats whats needed,i do make my own yoghurt and i take Slippery Elm everyday.I also felt sick with no appetite for along time and lost alot of weight but everything has settled down now after  i started on the Fybogel.Hope his all helps.This forum is so much more help than what the medical profession is although my doc and the nurses at my GPs are very good.
    • Posted

Morning 52331

I'm on the fybogel now and it has made a great improvement thanks for advice, my tummy still has twinges from time to time, and then the neasea I found the peppermint oil capsules helped but it seems to take forever to get back to normal im coming up to four weeks it seems to come in little waves of tummy twings and nausea, it be nice to get a clear day.

Anyway nice to chat to you again hope your having a good day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.