Symptoms of IBS??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

I live in Scotland and had surgery at the end of July because I was experiencing pain in my lower right abdomen. They doctors ruled out my appendix and found fluid from a ruptured follicle on my ovaries. So, they removed my appendix, just so it couldn't cause trouble in the future.

6 weeks down the line and I am at my wits end. The doctors reckon the naproxen they precribed caused distress in my stomach and bowels. Doctor now reckons I am starting to develop IBS from the meds and distress of the surgery.

My current symptoms are: nausea, constant sore stomach, cramps, pain in lower right (sometimes left) abdomen, diahorrea and loss of appetite. I have meds coming out my ears and starting to get fed up of the docs and this feeling of it being something else.

Any help and advice welcome.

Thanks 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Taking your appendix out unnecessarily is terrible. I have similar symptoms but they come and go. Having a sigmoidoscopy in Nov (I chose to wait till after my hols!). Maybe you should request one? 
    • Posted

Thanks biggrin

I will have a look into that. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear that your suffering like this. Try taking probiotics, I take acidophillus (*20 million bacteria per capsule from holland and barrett) it's working wonders for me! 
    • Posted

I did read that probiotics are really good for you. Was thinking maybe buying some Yakult cheesygrin
  • Posted

Hi vr93;  I am thinking that if they found fluid from a "ruptured follicle", then maybe a visit to a good gynaecologist may be in order.....you may have ? polycystic ovaries......I have had many years of similar pain (thinking first time was appendix....pain in  same area, and similar)....but had a Laparoscopy and found many similar cysts and the gynae Cauterized same and after a few episodes of similar events, no longer a problem...(and it does not cause infertility as some will tell you, as I had 4 children)..............good luck........Bron
    • Posted

They found fluid and blood from the ruptured follicle and found more follicles but said my ovaries looked ok. I still dont think it is IBS, i just have a niggling feeling its something else. This actually would make sense.

Thank you for your information, I researched it and it sounds like it could help. It's funny cause I am worried about getting cervical cancer as my gran and her sisters had it (along with various other types of cancer) but doctors say that its unlikely because its on my dads side of the family. Still worried tho, doctors only seem to feel my tummy and send me away with more meds neutral. Just hoping this will end soon.

• Posted

I feel for you as I have that niggling feeling too. I'm having gynae issues too and I wonder if I've got endometriosis. Same symptoms. Good luck.
    • Posted

Morning to you Suzysaints and vr93;  It sounds like both of you need to see a Very knowledgeable Gynae (I am very lucky as my obs and gynae is a world reknowned lecturer on women's health, and has helped me enormously)......firstly for Endometriosis, do either of you suffer from bad cramps on day one of your cycle (period), secondly, the main question my gynae asked me was "did I have pain on intercourse"....this I had, but had not even connected to my Endo......the certain way to ascertain correctly is to have a Laparoscopy, where your entire pelvic area can be viewed....and in my case, the gyne cauterized all endometrial tissue that was found in Pelvic Floor, plus the cysts around ovaries.......yes, I did have to have this procedure done a few times, as more Endo Tissue found it's way into my Pelvis, but still do to this day, say it was Well Worth the ops (had maybe ?4), the last one to release the bowel from the pelvic floor, where the Endometrial Tissue had caused the bowel to adhere....which is why some feel it is IBS, and not Endo.......and please don't let any doc tell you that you need to have a Hysterectomy, as this is Not the case....it does not solve the problem, and only causes infertility......and as for having Endo and that causing Infertility, this too, is incorrect, as I had 2 more children after being diagnosed.     Find yourselves a Good Gynae (those that are good can be found through IVF clinics here in Australia), and speak to one, ask your questions, have a Vaginal Ultrasound (this should show up the condition of your Ovaries), and if you feel comfortable with what the doc suggests then go for this gynae and have a Laparoscopy.....(when I say ?4 , this was over a period of over 6 years)......and had no more trouble until I did have a Hysterectomy in 2005, due to changed Cervical Cells........I also know that some docs say that our Gynae issues are passed from mother to daughter, not from Paternal side, but I can't agree or disagree, as both sides had probs in my family....but it is Very wise to have Regular Pap smears (even after a Hysterectomy, as for if the changed cells are there initially, they can also be in the walls of the Vaginal Vault)..............really think about what I have said, and ease your minds re this issue.....................Bron
    • Posted

In the UK we have the NHS so can't choose a gynaecologist. I have had a scan and my ovaries are fine. Just gynae next and I agree the laparoscopy will be the next step. Thanks smile

• Posted

I had the same symptoms and was diagnosed with IBS.  Surgery on the stomach area can cause bowel disturbance.
    • Posted

Doctors keep saying that it will take a while for me to heal. Its just annoying me now as i havent been to work in 7 weeks because of pain and feeling dead when i wake up in the morning. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.