Symptoms of IBS

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi had few symptoms like backache discomfort in stomach heartburn etc been told by friends with IBS this is what it could be but found blood on loo paper today is this common have appt with go and blood test tomorrow but very worried

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynne

Your symptoms could mean a number of things...blood isn't necessarily IBD. I would rule out IBS though if there is blood, unless its from a fissure or pile.

Is there blood mixed with the stool? Or just on the toilet paper after wiping on its own so to speak?

I have IBD (ulcerative colitis)...

My first symptoms was a strange heartburn feeling between my stomach and chest. Then i noticed some blood on the toilet paper and over time with my poor diet and stressful lifestyle my stools became more and more loose with more and more blood until it was basically explosive diarrhea mostly blood. My gastro doctor put me on mezavant xl which is an anti inflammation drug. It cleared up in a couple weeks. I've never been back to that dark place but had some bumps along the way and a course of steroids sorted that.

My advice...just because your inflammatory markers are low in your blood check doesnt mean you don't have IBD (inflammatory bowel disease). I was in a full on flare and my markers were relatively normal.

If the blood you notice increases speak to an actual gastroenterologist. They will perform a check of just your rectum easily in an appointment (as ulcerative colitis usually starts there they can make a decent diagnosis there and then). They will then arrange a colonoscopy to see the full extent.

Chances are you don't have it but if you do you want to get it under control quickly.

All the best with it.

• Posted

Dear Lynne,  I expect you may have already seen a doctor, but it is possible that seeing some blood could mean a haemorrhoid, as these do bleed, but hope it is nothing more serious for you.     Love Gracegirl
  • Posted

hi lynne24661,

the symptoms you have told are most oftenly of indigestion and the blood can be because of some haemorrhoid. one thing you missed is to mention about is the time period. are you having these symptoms for a long period or you just had them once?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.