Syphilis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I wondered if anybody could help me? I'm 33+3 weeks pregnant and I was diagnosed with syphilis at 31 weeks but I was negative at the beginning of pregnancy. ive been with my boyfriend for 3 years and I've not had another sexual partner.

In February my boyfriend developed a rash on the tip of his penis, the doctor gave him cream for a fungal infection. It cleared up and we had sex, a few days later I develpoed a sore on my vulva which initially was painless but then became very painful. (Around the same time I started bleeding and was told I had an erosion on my cervix, could this also be the syphilis? I've had 5 bleeds since each time getting worse) My boyfriend developed another rash and lumps on his penis and groin, he had strange spots on his tongue and was feeling unwell. The doctor said he had thrush and gave him cream. He went to the GUM clinic for a blood test which (he said) came back negative. He's recently been for another blood test and we're waiting on the results.

My relationship has broken down because of this and I'm just looking for some answers as to when he might of been infected? Is having sex the only way of getting it? Could he have had it for longer than 3 months and not passed it on to me until now? He won't go to the GUM clinic together to get both medical records up which makes me think he's hiding something. I've asked him all the questions, has he cheated etc but he denies it.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I'm devastated.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Sorry 2 say this but sounds like hes cheated or hes hnown that hes had it and not told you if he had nothing 2 hide why not go clinic 2gether just sound a bit suspicious he should just man up admit it and think ov the damage he could ov cause (I dont no if it does do damage by the way) hope you and baby are okay
  • Posted

It sounds like he's hiding something and it also shows his character or rather lack of one, that he put your health at risk.

no there is no other way to contract syphilis, other than through sex.

I have found in my experience since being infected w herpes and being on the forums, that when the women confront the person who infected them and request they go get tested, they refuse to and say they're clean and/or will not provide test results. This is a sign of someone lying to you.

I hope yiu have veenbtested for HIV as well and you need to protect your baby right now, so you need to abstain from ant sexual relations w this man. He clearly has no conscious to put you and your babies health at risk.

I will ask Archemedes to comment further, as he is a retired doctor and would know more than I. I am just highly versed in herpes.

• Posted

Just went through your post reply to claire56769. I would want to know more about herpes since you are much enlighten about it. Can there be anything to be taken to make its transmission minimal or totally not possible? And someone just noticing it what steps should he or she take?

Thanks

• Posted

This is indeed a very sad and unfortunate case, and I am so sorry to hear of your plight.

Syphilis is a serious, highly contigeous bacterial infection (Treponema Pallidum) that can be contracted in a number of ways, it is usually either passed through sexual relations, (including kissing an infected person), or in it's congentital form because it was present in utero at birth.

There have also been instances of individuals being infected through sharing a needle when injecting recreational drugs, and very rare occasions of this bacteria being passed via an infected blood transfusion, but this is less common today.

It is just possible that your partner was completely unaware that he had this disease because it can lay in latency for many years.

I am not prepared to comment how you may have been infected, but I would say that is it is absolutely essential for all the parties concerned to be tested to check their status, and if there is a positive result then immediate treatment is essential.

Irrespective of what your partner does, in your case the commencement of treatment is urgent and must not be delayed particularly as you are pregnant.

The most important things for you to know are (a) that you can be cured is you seek and receive treatment now, and (b) until such time as the original cause of the infection is isolated you should refrain from any intimate relations with your partner,  which is what you should do anyway with anyone, until such time as you are known to be free of the infection.

Please pm me if you have any further questions.

There may be a slight delay in replying to you until early next week as I am away until then.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I have indeed been seeking medical assistance. I was firstly diagnosed with the herpes virus which I had 2 lots of medication which obviously didn't work. I then had a blood test that's when I was diagnosed with syphilis. I have had the penicillin injections and I need to go back in 4 weeks for a blood test to see if it has cleared up. My (now ex) partner has also been tested and is currently waiting in the results. Having this infection is a total shock to me and I'm not in any rush to have sexual relations.

I've read everything online about it. I guess my question is, because he is denying any sexual relations with anyone else. Is the only way I have it by having sex with my boyfriend? And have I caught it because he's had sex with someone else? The consultant said I've caught it from week 12 of pregnancy as I was negative when I was tested at the beginning of pregnancy. If my partner had the rash symptoms in February when would he have caught it?

• Posted

Although Syphilis is a far more serious condition than Herpes, there is a cure for Syphilis but no cure as yet for Herpes, so it is just a matter of controlling it until a permanent solution to it can be found.

The symptoms of syphilis normally make an appearance between 10 and 90 days after the initial infection.

As to how or from where you contracted Syphilis, you may well have contracted it from him, but it does not follow that he had a sexual relationship with anyone else.

For example, you do not state if he (or you) have ever taken recreational drugs via intravenus injection. Because if either of you had done so and used an infected needle, that would be another possible explanation.

Or has either of you required a blood transfusion (or given blood) during this period, or had a medical examination when surgical gloves were not used.

Another possibility is if either of you has kissed another party or maybe been involved in foreplay with another party who was infected - then that could be a reason.

I'm afraid that this is a case where only you and your partner can possibly know the true answer.

• Posted

Thank you again. I think I know the answer I'm just clinging onto some sort of hope that my partner was faithful.

I've never used recreational drugs through a needle, never had a blood transfusion or had a medical examination without surgical gloves.

I personally have not kissed or had any sexual contact with anyone since we began our relationship 3 years ago so I guess that leaves some sort of sexual contact from my partner with someone else who is infected.

Thank you again for your time

• Posted

Googled it and it states it's not very common to be passed w kissing.... I know acceptance can be difficult, but you owe it to yourself and your baby to be honest w yourself. He has out both you and your babies lives at risk . do you know how dangerous syphilis is left untreated and the possible consequences on your baby? Do not put your life at risk for something else that you can't cure and is and can kill you like HIV, by staying w him.

I wish you the best and I hope you find the strength to do the right thing.

Syphilis sores can be in the mouth, so it is possible to get syphilis from deep kissing. But it is not a common way for syphilis to be passed. Sexually transmitted infections (STI) like gonorrhea and Human papillomavirus (HPV) can also be passed with deep kissing, but they are also not commonly passed this way.

• Posted

Googled it and it states it's not very common to be passed w kissing.... I know acceptance can be difficult, but you owe it to yourself and your baby to be honest w yourself. He has out both you and your babies lives at risk . do you know how dangerous syphilis is left untreated and the possible consequences on your baby? Do not put your life at risk for something else that you can't cure and is and can kill you like HIV, by staying w him.

I wish you the best and I hope you find the strength to do the right thing.

Syphilis sores can be in the mouth, so it is possible to get syphilis from deep kissing. But it is not a common way for syphilis to be passed. Sexually transmitted infections (STI) like gonorrhea and Human papillomavirus (HPV) can also be passed with deep kissing, but they are also not commonly passed this way.

• Posted

I always try to avoid apportioning blame in situations like this one, but as you have already formulated your own conclusions, I would say that if you have any sort of dialogue with him, you would be well advised to mention that he should have a full spectrum STI checkup. 

I only say this because you have mentioned Herpes, which for some strange reason is not normally covered by a standard STI test, and does need to be included within his tests.

If he accepts treatment he may well be cured from the Syphilis infection but he will not be cured from the Herpes infection, because as I said previously there is no cure at the present time.

This carries certain ramifications, the greatest of which is if he continues to have sexual relationships in the future with anyone, without telling the other party, then they could well find themselves infected with the Herpes virus which is a far from an ideal situation.

• Posted

I was wrongly diagnosed with herpes as the 2 swabs I gave on 2 occasions came back negative but agree that it should be included in testing.

The medical professionals I've seen also don't want to put the blame anywhere which I understand but when your in disbelief you just want a straight answer.

• Posted

I found out 2 weeks ago and I ended it straight away, he's moved out and were no longer together. Although im in disbelief I feel like I know the truth I just was living in hope that there would of been another reason to why I caught it.

I've been researching the Internet too and coming into a forum was my last form of finding out if anyone had been misdiagnosed or there was another reason apart from what I've read on the Internet.

I understand the complications and seriousness of syphilis and I've been treated straight away. My (ex) partner is also being seen to to stop any further infections to anybody else.

Thanks for your replys

• Posted

I was wrongly diagnosed with herpes as the 2 swabs I gave on 2 occasions came back negative but agree that it should be included in testing.

The medical professionals I've seen also don't want to put the blame anywhere which I understand but when your in disbelief you just want a straight answer.

• Posted

I found out 2 weeks ago and I ended it straight away, he's moved out and were no longer together. Although im in disbelief I feel like I know the truth I just was living in hope that there would of been another reason to why I caught it.

I've been researching the Internet too and coming into a forum was my last form of finding out if anyone had been misdiagnosed or there was another reason apart from what I've read on the Internet.

I understand the complications and seriousness of syphilis and I've been treated straight away. My (ex) partner is also being seen to to stop any further infections to anybody else.

Thanks for your replys

• Posted

Archemedes is correct that it's not the correct thing to do to lame blame, but he's a doctor and they're taught not to do that.

At the end of the day, you are a woman and our intuition never fails us if we are really listening to it and not silencing it. I know that you know deep down, all women know deep down... Not always at the beginning, but we eventually find out. I know I did. :-(

What were your sores from? From syphilis? Make sure you get a blood test for herpes, if a sore is not swabbed w in 48hrs of coming out, you will have a high risk of a false negative. I hope you got a blood test done and I'd take another in 3 months to be sure too. You do not want to risk going off a false negative swab and give vaginal birth when you may possibly have herpes. Better to be safe than sorry!

I'm so sorry you're going through all this, I hope you have a good support system at home and people to help out. Feel free to pm me anytime. <3 hugz>

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.