TAH with huge uterine fibroids sharp pelvic pain!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had a total abdominal hysterectomy surgery June 10th had huge uterine fibroids removed along with everything but my overies and I've got major swelling by the end of day and sharp pelvic pain on top of the falling out feeling! I'm very bruised !!

I have been very constipation too which is so painful by it's self even!! I sure thought at 3 weeks I would be so much better any other with same issues is this normal ??? My first surgery ever and it sure has been rough!! Thanks for all help!!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debra. I had total hysterectomy, A&P repair and a tvt 11wks ago. Some via keyhole and vaginally. So can't really advise on you abdominal pain but are you on anything to help you go to loo? If not is highly recommend you ask for something. I've heard lots of woman take movicol. It's a stool soft we so should help pass easier. Drink plenty of water and the usual stuff like fruit veg fibre will help too. I got terribly constipated after op and a week later was in having the catheter removed and the gave me an enema which was a godsend!! I take procalopride for my bowels as have a prolapse there too and awaiting to see what next step is after I've recovered from these surgeries. This helps me hugely but I have on 1 occasion has to use glycerine suppositories to help me. You can buy them over the counter.

I hope some of what I've said helps. Try to take it easy. It's still early days and you'll have good days and bad. Body tell us when we've done too much. Take care.

Fi. C

• Posted

Hi there, did they not send you home with Lactose?

They sent me home with that to take for the 1st week. Have to say it worked a treat. X

Good luck. X

• Posted

Hi, I had TAH retaining my ovaries on 27th May, I had 2 fibroids (8.5cm & 5.5cm) Having had 3 c sections before, I thought I knew what to expect but it's a way worse operation.  The constipation will definately be making your symptoms worse, so if you could take lactulose, eat bran flakes/all bran for breakfast and try mint tea, that should make things easier and help with the wind and bloating. Try not to do too much too soon and rest as much as possible, all your symptoms sound completely normal and I started to turn a corner after 3 weeks, so hopefully you won't be waiting too long now. Good luck and take it easy!

• Posted

Thanks girl worse thing I've ever been through ! So tired of hurting and complaining! Thanks for the encouragement and I'll try that mint tea something got to give soon!!

• Posted

I had same surgery on 27th June. My largest fibroid weighed 6lb 6oz. I'm still recovering in hospital & as I'd heared horror stories on this site regarding constipation I'd requested suppositories & laxatives to help. I still have swelling in the area due to build up of fluids making it very tender and sore. I only had a catheter in for 1 day & was encouraged to start walking the day after surgery & passing urine, and they were certainly concerned that I hadn't opened my bowels or passed wind after day 2.

I would certainly go to my doctor and ask for something to assist with constipation either a suppository or laxative. How is your diet? I think the fresh fruit I've eaten constantly whilst in hospital has definitely helped prevent constipation along with the extraordinary amounts of water.

Please do not suffer, go seek medical attention, you do not need the pain of constipation on top of all else that is gappening

• Posted

Wow your fibroids were almost the size of mine at 8 lbs worth and a 4 hour+ surgery for me !! Weeks are going slower that ever with baby steps of improvement ! Lots of pelvic pain like a knife sticking me inside! Hope you have a speedy recovery with you surgery too!!
    • Posted

Really wished they would have gotten my bowels moving before I left hospital but they were not concerned with it but took a while before I could pee the first time felt like everything was asleep and think my bowels are the last thing to wake up !! Definitely a rough recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.