Taken off Fumaderm as from Tuesday

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on Fumaderm since the Summer, building up to the highest dose. However, my Dermo found blood and protein in my urine so sent me to a Nephrologist who took me off Fumaderm immediately!  He said that my kidneys were functioning at 50% and I think that was based on a urine test

on 9th January! I have been on the tablets since then so worry my kidney function has decreased further! Another urine test was taken on Tuesday.

Very worried as due to see Dermo on 22nd April and until then, on nothing to control my psoriasis which can be very very bad when I have a flare up. I have been on Ciclosporin and that caused kidney problems, Acitretin did not control it so running out of options....topical creams did nothing.

Has anyone else had problems with Fumaderm? I am 77 years old.   

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Krug,

you have my sympathy. It's difficult when our bodies react against the powerful drugs we take. I had a similar problem when on methotrexate, I developed methotrexate induced hepatitis. Happily my liver completely recovered when the drug was stopped and I hope that your kidney function returns to normal quickly. Have you tried methotrexate? It is a very good drug for psoriasis in most people. Also there is a new pill called Apremilast which appears to be excellent. I don't know where you live, Apremilast is available in the USA, Scotland and Wales but is not licensed in England yet. Try not to worry, I hope you make a full recovery.

• Posted

Hi Sheila

I have not heard of Apremilast but will check it ou - I am in England though. I also have Lupus which is dormant at the moment but does limit treatment options. I have not tried Methotrexate. Dermo suggested injections if the fumarderm did not work. Very worried about a flare up as I have been on the highest dose and starting to itch.....hopefully Dermo will get letter from Nephrologist and be in touch before April 22nd - we have left messages with his nurse too.

• Posted

I'm in England and have been prescribed apremilast by my rheumatologist - it's hospital only prescription though.

• Posted

These drugs we take are so scary.   I have both psoriatic and rheumatoid arthritis.  So far I have only had a small bot of pustular psoriasis.   My poor Dad had it terribly.  I take Humira and I know they have ha\d good results with it for the psoriasis also.  I hope you find a drug that works and that you current condition improves.  Hugs and prayers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.