Taken off Zopiclone after 12 months...I can't sleep

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I have been taking Zopiclone 7.5 for 1 year because I am unable to fall asleep. It caused me great anxiety and great difficulty in living a normal life. I was under a mental health team and was prescribed these tablets then. The last few months have been great - I am no longer depressed or anxious and I work a 6 day week. However my GP has decided to stop the Zopiclone now, and I am back to where I started. Laying awake until 4-5 am and then getting up for work at 7...

My mind just does not switch off. I have cut out caffeine all together, i dont use my phone in bed and i feel i have good sleep hygeine. I have tried over the counter herbal remedies, I've tried phenergan, and nothing seems to do it.

What can I do from this point onwards? I don't want it to start affecting my life again like it did before.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

MELATONIN...but in the UK..I guess this is prescription...but I think DR would be more likely to prescribe..cause in US its over the counter...I have insomnia WORSE than your WORST day...and it helps me...GO to ANY LENGTHS...to get it.
  • Posted

Have u been screened for depression ? If ur insomnia is a direct cause for depression, then anti depressants might be needed. I was having horrible insomnia and i was diagnosed with major depression even tho i dint have any other depression symptoms.
  • Posted

Well, the problem is you shouldn't have been given Zopiclone, of all things, for a long period of time. It is a short term solution for sleep and shouldn't be taken for longer than a month. After 2/3 weeks I started getting horrific nightmares from it and had to stop.. I've honestly lost all faith in doctors when it comes to sleep/insomnia. They literally treat you as a guinea pig, searching the net for possible solutions. Please, for you own health do some research and question your doctor about what meds they are giving you, seriously.

Now, onto the best and safest long term possible solution. A full time job which includes manual labour, and cannabis. You may turn your nose up to weed (it's illegal, it's wrong, it's a DRUG...) but that would be somewhat ignorant. Ask any smart doctor outside of the UK, they will recommend cannabis. For many reasons too. It's way better for the body, I mean taking tablets every day isn't good. Inhaling vaporized thc, harmless. Any indica/Kush sends you to sleep great. I had sleeping problems for years, tried every sleeping pill and method under the sun. Some work but not forever. I've been using cannabis on a night now for well over a year, while working full time and I'm out by 9pm every night and awake for 6am. Absolutely perfect for me.

The bottom line, pills don't work forever and if you generally have a sleep disorder, which it sounds like you do, then no method (counting sheep for example, useless!) will cure your problem.

Good luck and whatever you do, do not try and just put up with it'. Lack of sleep is very bad in the long run and leads to stress/depression.

• Posted

P.S. Anti depressants won't help either. Your depression comes from lack of sleep. Insomnia is the problem you need to address.
  • Posted

If you've slept less than five hours a night for five days or more, go back to your doctor.
  • Posted

I am so sorry you are going through this, Jaf. I completely understand as I was the same and nothing other than temazepam helped me to sleep. I get up really early as well as have to fetch my son from work at 11 pm so need to be fit to drive! Four years ago I was put on mirtazapine for depression. I really was at the end of my tether. They helped me to sleep like a normal person for the first time in my life. Sadly, they suddenly stopped working and so I am coming off them and am back to begging my GP for more temazepam so that I get enough sleep to function. I tried some benadrl last night and it did help me fall asleep after a while but my dog woke me at 5 am and I couldn't fall back to sleep. I am probably not being much help here, except to say you have my sympathy. It is a miserable state to be in when you can't sleep and have to go to work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.