taking a poll: Adenosine

Posted , 3 users are following.

How many times did you require Adenosine before you decided to go for the Ablation?

I've had minor, 3-10 second SVT episodes every 2 months or so for 15 years. Annoying, but tolerable. 3 yrs ago a 10 minute episode I had to try all the vagal moves to stop it. Then a month ago, in a foreign country, I couldn't stop it. I could barely stand up on my own. It felt awful. Required Adenosine. I'd be happy to never go through that again. And feel like I'm always thinking about the possibility of it happening now. Wondering if I should just get the ablation done. Or am I jumping the gun? Should i wait and see if it happens again like that?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Leah, you seem to have been relatively  'lucky' so far with the frequency and duration of your SVT episodes.

Have you had a definitive diagnosis?

If so, it would seem most likely that SVT will happen more often and last for longer, and I'd strongly recommend having an ablation rather than becoming a helpless victim for the rest of your life.

If you have cardio experts you trust then go with their recommendations. If not then wait until you find cardio people you do trust.

Wishing you all the best lol

• Posted

I do have a diagnosis by a Swiss cardiologist and my American cardiologist.

He suggested ablation over a lifetime of beta blockers, but left it to me to decide.

Currently wearing a 3 week monitor...and not even a little flutter in 2 days so far.

Leaning towards having it done so I don't have to worry about another big one I can't stop, and so I don't have to avoid caffeine and wine for the rest of my life!

• Posted

I had SVT for many years and my quality of life suffered quite a lot. Had an ablation over 4 years ago and not had a single SVT episode since.

Go for it.

• Posted

I had my first SVTs just a month ago and I have decided to have an ablation this Friday. At first I tried beta blockers, which had horrible side effects for me. My cardiologist gave me the option of doing nothing, going on flecainide, or doing an ablation. When I asked what he would do if it were him, he said he might try doing nothing but if he ever had another episode he would not hesitate to have an ablation, which in most cases, is a cure. I went off beta blockers and the next morning had a 40 minute SVT that I could not stop. I'm now on flecainide until my ablation, which also has some awful side effects and isn't really safe to be on forever (I'm 41). I decided to just get the ablation. For me, the SVTs were really scary and I just don't want to live in constant fear -- of being stressed, of exercising, of drinking caffeine, of flying, or of just having an SVT for no reason. I'm so glad the ablation is an option and I really, really hope it works. Looking forward to just moving on. 

• Posted

Best of luck with it Therese. Hope it works as well for you as it has for me.
    • Posted

Hope all goes well with the ablation! It would be nice to not have that constant fear of another bad SVT episode. Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.