Taking Amitriptyline

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have taken Amitriptyline for 16 years, I spent the last two years cutting down slowly, the second year (of coming off) cutting up the tablet as I got nearer the end, 1/2, then 1/4 every month, then smaller pieces, making sure I did not get any panic attack which I had once when I tried coming off after taking it for the first 6 months. I chose to do it this way in my own time and what i felt comfortable with.

I am off it for 6 months now but I have a lot of pain and tiredness in my feet hands has any one out there,( who has taken this for any length of time) have these problems? I did not have these pains before. I was given Amitriptyline for sleep. I remember also having vision problems after taking it also weight gain.

. Early this year I had an operation to remove one of my paratyroides because of build up of calcium in my blood, I am wondering if this tablet could be the cause of my health problems I have today? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bernadette

i was on that for several months,i was told by my doctor that i could just stop taking it so i did,they put me on pregablin

i was only on 20 ml dose though

im glad you are off it .... i didnt have any side affects for just stopping it

• Posted

Taking Pregabalin for a long time and then trying to come off it can be really nasty.  Read the side effects and warnings very carefully.  I personally think it's an evil drug!
  • Posted

Hi there,

I too have taken 10mg of amitriptyline for 16 years,  I have tried to get off it several times slowly cutting the tablets up but always end up so sleep deprived I give in again. I was initially prescribed it for chronic migraines and fibromyalgia, I dont think it does a great deal for the pain or migraines but it does help me sleep. Last year I was diagnosed with an essential tremor and believe this has been caused by the amitriptyline.

My doctor has always felt that I should be able to stop the amitriptyline with no problems, he is shocked that I have such problems stopping it. Its a horrible drug!!!

• Posted

Hi

yes i agree it isnt a nice drug i found that i put weight on with it too

i am off it for now but my sleep pattern is turning back the way it was before which isnt a good thing as 3 or 4 hours asleep woant get me far

i wish you luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.