Taking Gabapentin after spinal surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had TLIF spinal surgery in 2010. Went as well as could be expected, but I have a very weak back and live with constant pain. I body won't except strong painkillers, so was prescribed Amitriptyline. Came off them due to nose bleeds and feeling like a complete zombie. Although it was good to get a good night sleep!!! Doc then put me on Gabapentin 300mg 3 times a day. Had no pain relief and so doc has now upped me to 600mg 3 times a day, plus zapain inbetween. 

I worry about taking so much, but I need something to take the edge off my pain. I've read a lot of negative reviews about Gabapentin. Will have to see how I get on.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I went back to see my doctor today and he has taken me off gaberpentin because they should of started working by now so I am starting lyrica (pregabalin) tonight
  • Posted

Please keep me posted on theLyrica. I was wondering about its affectiveness & if it will have less side affects
  • Posted

I found that yes they work however decided after 3 years to reduce down weekly by 100 mg. There are side effects but my head is beginning to clear. I was originally on 1200mg daily plus oxinorm plus oxicontyne plus panadol 4000mg daily plus loperimide 16mg.
  • Posted

Don't worry about the thought of taking medication, anxiety only adds to pain (our ego can get in the way of reality). Everyone is different so don't worry about others experience ; persist with what works for you.

You need only be concerned with the benefits vs side effects equation. How are you handling the gabapentin? If the side effects are tolerable, up to 3600mg per day is a typical dose (some Dr's go higher). Your current dose is only mild. Persist if you can manage with side effects and Doc see's benefit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.