Taking Imodium regularly - Is that not good?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Is there any issue with this? I try not to take it if I can help it but it does help a lot.... Im wary of the fact that I'd probably take one every day. Sometimes I have no choice or I wouldnt be able to go to work/go anywhere.

My issues are mainly diarhoea with little pain and no constipation.

Is there any reason why one imodium a day would be bad?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Paul,

I wouldn't have thought it was a good idea to take them every day.

I took them for a while and then I decided that I wanted to see what my normal function was really like, although admittedly I don't have this problem every day.

I find that taking probiotics are helping me.

Worth a try

• Posted

My GP told me that taking immodium when my IBS flares up wouldn't do any harm, unless it began to result in constipation - so I'm guessing that if you need to take one a day that should be okay. 

Might be a good idea to check with your own doctor though. If he/she thinks medication is the best way to manage your conditionyou might be able to get something on prescription. 

Jan

• Posted

Thanks Jan. Never EVER had constipation so Im probably safe there.

To be honest, one a day tends to work wonders most days.

• Posted

Hi Paul, 

I take loperamide (immodium is the brand name) most days, under direction from my GP that it is okay. Perhaps it would be worthwhile for you to speak with them, see if there is anything else that can be done for you. If taking it daily is something that is still required you can get a prescription for more tablets that might be cheaper than buying over the counter (this is UK specific advise however). 

Best

Edith

• Posted

Hi Edith,

thanks - yes thats the one. Im in UK too.

Generally I but the non branded stuff (for £1 for 6 tablets).

But will speak to GP I think.

• Posted

I get quite high quantity prescriptions so it works out better than that,  but think that's an aside as clearly not the most important point here(!). I do hope that your GP is able to review you, it's taken 9 years for me to get onto the correct pathway (they've found some other issues alongside my IBS) but I think many sufferers have similar tales about to and fro appointments trying to get a correct diagnosis and then onto the right management plan. Best of luck!

• Posted

Paul,

May be it is ok to take them every day then according to others on here, but then I honestly don't know.

I like to try natural ways as well and get off drugs if I can. Thing is for me when I gat a flare up, anxiety kicks in and makes it all worse, so that's why I take them sometimes.

• Posted

Paul, I have tried everything by prescription and over the counter including natural herbs. I do find turmeric helps somewhat. I've had IBS since I'm 10 years old. I'm 46 now and I take one immodium in the morning and go from there. If I need another I take it. I try not to take them at home as to give my stomach a break. Like you, I don't have trouble with constipation. I see a gastoeneologist and he said it's safe to take every day. But, as I said I don't take them if I'm home and I also take turmeric. Good luck! Ibs is frustrating!

• Posted

It's an herb. I buy the capsule form. You can get it online or a health store. I find it helps my ibs 40%. If you decide to try it take it with food. I think mine have curriculum (not sure of spelling) in them and 1,600 mg and I started at 1 a day for a few weeks and upped to 2 capsules.

• Posted

Thanks Kelly. Might try this.

Isnt turmeric the stuff they put in rice to make it go yellow? lol.

• Posted

No , that's Saffron...

I have never heard of Tumeric helping, might give that a go myself.

• Posted

I don't know, lol.  I do know tumeric is a spice.  (also spicy)  You can use it to season your food.  But, I have to laugh because when I take a handful out of the bottle to put in my weekly pill thing my hands ARE yellow, lol.  I would definitely take it food though.  

I'm at home and can see the bottle.  They are "Tumeric Extract with Curcumin C3 Complex" and they're 1,160mg per serving.  

I stopped taking them for awhile and noticed a difference so I went back on them.  You have to be patient.  They take about a month to work.  

My husband has IBS and keeps saying he MIGHT try it also.  That was 3 months ago, ha!

Good luck and do give it time to work!! smile 

• Posted

My doctor suggested this because no pills were helping. I'm extremely sensitive to meds.  Google it.  Just type in tumeric and IBS smile  It helps with fibromylagia too (which I have).......

My joints feel so much better than before.  

Some days I take one and other days I take two.  Only because of my sesitivity to stuff.

I'd love feedback if you try it.  

I had to give it at least 2 weeks to work.  

• Posted

Nothing ventured I suppose :-)

Sorry to hear you have Fibro AS WELL! :-( Must be tough.

My wife has Fibro and struggles some days. (She works part-time and we have a 3 year old to look after as well). And we're both mid-40s ish. :-(

• Posted

I'm 46. That is mid right? Lol. Turmeric is good for so many things. Maybe you both could give it a try. I work in Healthcare and my joints ached so bad by the time I got home. So much better now since the Turmeric. Then I get a bath with lavender Epsom salts. Helps joints relax and my anxiety calmer.

• Posted

Slightly older than my wife and slightly younger than me! :-)

Yeh my wife is a nurse. Gonna give it a try. Best place to buy? Online preferably?

• Posted

They deleted my post because I mentioned where I get them online. I didn't attach a link or anything. Lol... I'll private message you what I said when I get home from work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.