Taking metformin when in menstration

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

please is it advicable to take metformin when in period or should it be break when period start.

I have try asking my physician but he not responding.

please can some one enlighten me on it.

because i normally stop taking it when my period start and take when it stops.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I take 250 mg of Metformin, twice a day. So 500 mg per day. I do not get my period regularly, but when I do get my period (although not very often), I keep taking the metformin as prescribed. I personally do not stop when mensturating. 
    • Posted

Hannah thanks for your response so please should i start again when i have stop it for like a week now.
    • Posted

I think you would be totally fine again. Sometimes my metformin upsets my stomach a lot for a few days / weeks at a time, and I stop taking it, then then start again when I feel ready. I'm not a doctor or anything rememver!!! But yes, I think that you should be fine to start again smile 

• Posted

You have to take it continuously! Why would you stop? It's not like the pill.

• Posted

I stopped taking it for a little bit because it was hurting my stomach. Making me nauseous or have diarrhea. I gave it a break and then started again a little bit later.
    • Posted

Yes it's the side effects of glucophage, felt those things, nauseous all the time as if youre pregnant and hair loss, my goodness I thought i have cancer for I'm loosing lots of hair.That's why you have to take it in smaller/half of your dosage for a few days first before you take the whole prescribed amount . Asked my doc bout it actually.

• Posted

my period won't stop but i have start taking the metformin and i will not stop .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.