Taking sertraline for 6 months and still having side effects

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been taking 50mg Sertraline for 6 months now and I am still experiencing times of anxiety and nausea. I seem to be OK for a couple of weeks then back it comes for a few days. Also, in the past two months I have been having night sweats. I think the Sertraline is helping and I am loathe to stop as I felt so ill before but wonder if anyone else has experienced these feelings.

Would love to hear from you

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I agree with Iris. I have had a similar blip & my GP has increased my dose from 100 to 150mg. 
    • Posted

Keep in touch ladies. I think each of us needs to know that we aren't imagining our symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi Jean, I'm sorry this is happening to you. I find myself with increased anxiety when I am pre menstruating. I too am on sertraline but only 25 mg. can you relate? Maybe you need an increased dose, if not.
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your replies. I must say I am reluctant to increase the dose but it may well come to that if things do not improve. Do wonder if Setrraline is actually the right medication for me
    • Posted

I think we all get to wonder that whilst we are waiting for full benefits.  I got anxious tonight because I've read it can take 8 weeks for full benefit, and I'm at week 6.......only two weeks left! Oh hell.  Then it dawned on me......if it only takes 8 weeks, how come I know two people who were off work for six months?  My own GP tells me that it can take longer.  I think while you have depression/anxiety every little bit of anxiety gets magnified out of proportion, because the brain chemicals aren't balanced
    • Posted

Everyone's body reacts differently.

I felt the effects of it within a month.

If you feel more anxious than usual (symptom of the start up) ask for xanax or something to help.

I was prescried it but thankfully it didnt have to use it

• Posted

Hi Jean,

I originally started on 50mg and had night sweats and nausea. I went back to my Dr and they upped my dose to 100mg which seems to have helped although I do still get times when I feel dizzy!

Hope this helps,

• Posted

I was dizzy for a month and then all of a sudden it stopped. Once your body gets used to the medicine it will go away
  • Posted

I still get a bit of anxiety just before menstruation also so not sure if you have looked in to that.  Otherwise maybe an increase could be in order .. Good Luck 
  • Posted

I agree with Iris and mumsie, go to your GP, I had problems too on 50mg and now I am on 100 mg for the past 2 days, hoping I will improve....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.