Taking such a long time to get to 120/0

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am 12 weeks TKR and just got to 115/0. I have been steadily improving but I am very depressed when I read the numbers that everyone else has. People with Fewer weeks than me are way further than me. My PT told me last week I don't have to come back if I don't want and I said I want to get to 120, and he said it's just a number. Also, I hear about the pain that peoples PTs put them through. When I go to PT it's just a matter of using the different machines with instructions that's it, he doesn't do anything, That causes pain. Does this sound normal?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Rule Number 1: NEVER, EVER compare your recovery to that of anyone else.  Period.  Everyone is different and you never know where you fell in the range of recoveries UNTIL YOU'RE DONE!!!

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-recovery-bell-curve--563756

You're only at 3 months of a typical 9-12 month recovery.  Give yourself a break and stop the self-inflicted depression.  You're doing just fine.  Hang in there...take it a day at a time...no comparisons...own YOUR recovery.

• Posted

Chico,

Thank you for your response and information on the Bell Curve, all very helpful!

• Posted

Hi Nancy, I am 9 weeks post op and my bend is only 90 but I still have some swelling . My physiotherapist says I'm doing well and just to keep on with the exercises and it will improve. I do get a bit anxious at times when I read the numbers others have! My physio never pushed me more than I could handle and said doing that can be counter productive.i have decided not to worry and to keep on working at it ! So yes that's been normal for me😊 Are you in the U.K. ?

• Posted

Hi Meg,

I liked what you said "I have decided not to worry, and to keep on working at it". I will try to do the same. To answer your question, I live in the U.S.

• Posted

We are all different, this forum is about the TKR operation and recovery. The reason for you having the knee operation also must be a part of how we recover and where the knee bend is and goes to.

I believe the bend can be improved slowly in time.

If you have no pain, no burning, can get around be happy. As some are not so lucky.

Good healing

• Posted

Clive,

That is excellent advice....If I have no pain and can get around, be happy as some are not so lucky. I need to be grateful for where I am, and not complain. Thank you Clive for yours insight. Nancy

• Posted

Hi, Nancy... do not even compare from one surgery to another. I had TKR on my right knee 2 years ago.. and left knee last November, same surgeon, same brand of implant, same PT... but not same result on the left ...I still feel thightness after 14 weeks.  Doctor explained to me before surgery the symptoms after surgery could be differents ... it is just a matter of time... my right knee is awsome... so with patience and excercising I looking foward to the same results on my left. So hang in there ...go to your pace... I know it is frustating...I'am also fustrated, but do not give up and don't let others numbers discourage you... you will get there...

• Posted

Hi Nancy

Please don't think you are failing just because your rom isn't the same as others. I am at 4 months now & the last time I went to Physio I was told my bend was 98! I can walk without limping on that leg ( the left still wiring for TKR too). I ac climb stairs & walk down stairs easily! I even manage to get on the step stool at work to reach high files.

I was discharged from Physio 2 weeks ago & told everything is going in the right direction, keep on & I will get there.

I couldn't straighten or bend that leg before the surgery & can get 0 straight so to me it's win win!

Don't look at the numbers, just at what you can now do!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi Nancy. I think the most important thing you said in your post is that you have been steadily improving and that is exactly what matters. Comparing your bend and flex to others is like comparing height and weight. We're all progressing at our own pace and it sounds like you are doing fantastic! As the weeks and months pass the swelling inside continues to decrease, the pain gets better and as you become more active your ROM will continue to improve. Continue to do your exercises, stay as active as possible (being sedentary does not help) and continue to gauge your success by comparing your accomplishments to your previous weeks. Best wishes for continued good health!!

• Posted

Hi Dee,

How long ago was your TKR?

I never stopped to think that my ROM will continue to improve as I become more active. I have just been thinking the only way to get a higher degree of flexion was the painfull knee bends and holding for several seconds. My PT says the more seconds you hold the better. I try to hold 60 seconds or more. I am far to sedentary, I have to admit. I am retired and it's the rainy season so I don't go out much. I do my knee bends while watching TV and go to PT once a week.

• Posted

You've got yourself a nice PT there!   Most of them seem to have escaped from some concentration camp . . . but seriously, to get a good bend you do need a degree of pain . . pain which is bearable and not too extreme,   The muscles etc. do have to be pushed to achieve a really good bend,  115 is not bad though, and if you keep insisting you'll get a better result.  I'm at 134 and that's fine with me. . I've given up trying for more.  When you find you can do whatever you want . . climb stairs, etc. . .you'll know when to stop!

• Posted

Everyone is very different.  I'm at thirteen weeks and only just on 95/10.  A lady in my class last week had just had her staple out and was already at 110!   Don't take too much notice of the numbers as it's easy to feel down.  Just be pleased you're well on your way to recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.