Tamoxifen Tablets

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am due to start taking Tamoxifen tablets after finishing radiotherapy in just over a week's time.  Has anyone any tips in getting over any side effects such as hot flushes (which I'm getting now with radiotherapy). Any advice will be much appreciated and I do realise that the tablets can affect people differently.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I never found anything to relieve the intense, frequent hot flashes. I stuck with Tamoxifen for one year, then came off it. Been a year now. The hot flashes dropped by about 70%. I never had radiation. Six rounds of TCH/chemo, followed by a mastectomy and then Tamoxifen. Chemo effects are hard on a person, weight gain, hot flashes, Tamoxifen just made it worse. Other than that.....good luck. Hope it works for you without too much hassle.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply EricaBlair. I've read that a lot of people start taking Tamoxifen and then stop it after a short period of time, some as quick as a few months after starting.  Already having hot flushes since having the radiotherapy.  So I will have to see how the tablets affect me.  Thanks again for your advice.
  • Posted

Hi. I started on Tamoxifen (following surgery and radiotherapy) last October. I am having hot flushes. They are not too bad although as they occur mainly at night it can disrupt sleep. My oncologist suggested auricular acupuncture which I am trying and so far I think it is helping. As the Tamoxifen is meant to help stop further tumours I feel it is worth trying to put up with the flushes but it is a personal choice. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear from someone who is getting on ok with the tablets.  I have heard some negative comments about people who have stopped taking the tablets. I'm hoping I get on with them especially as it will decrease the chance of a recurrence.
  • Posted

Hi I've been on tamoxifen for a month...i het a few head flushes....ive read that you should stick to the same brand maker and taking them in the evening helps with qmy side effects....ive had a lumpectomy chemotherapy and radiotherapy I'm having herceptine jabs as well....good luck 😊

• Posted

Hi I've been on tamoxifen for a month...i het a few head flushes....ive read that you should stick to the same brand maker and taking them in the evening helps with qmy side effects....ive had a lumpectomy chemotherapy and radiotherapy I'm having herceptine jabs as well....good luck 😊

• Posted

Hi drew1507, Thanks for your reply.  I have decided to take the tablets in the evening, hoping that by the morning the side effects (if any) won't seem so bad.
  • Posted

I will be due to start takingTamoxifen after my radiation treatment. My friend is already taking Tamoxifen and she is taking sage tablets which are helping enormously, it can take 2 weeks to take effect. She is also using a "chillow pillow" which also helps her keep cool during the night. I already have my sage tablets on order.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.