Tapering during a cold a bad idea?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Before this cold I had'nt a cold for a year and a half; this is my first one with PMR on pred.  I am slowly tapering from 10 to 9.75 and well underway. The second week after the cold I have so much think phlegm, at times, I nearly choke bringing it up. I am using guafenesin. My breathing is worse; I have so many issues with my lungs normally: less lung room from chest approach to reduce scoliosis, residual chest deformity, reactive airway disease and all this worse with PMR/ pred. 

Maybe I should go back to 10 until I am over this or alternate 10/ 9.75.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would lean towards staying on ten, but to make sure ring your dr and just check..I know when I first started reducing from twelve tablets, (60mg) to ten, I had dreadful headaches and went back up to twelve the next two days till I saw my nurse from the polymyalgia rheumatic clinic, and tried again and was fine... but definately check, as these steroids have such dreadful side effects, and also your eyesight is presious...

Take care ........

Mary

• Posted

Mary, I do not have GCA. I am reducing 1/4 mgm not from 10 tablets: from 10mgm to 9.75 mgm.
    • Posted

Right, sorry I read that wrong... still think you should check it out, and possibly ask for a lung funtion test, which I m sure you've had before.. I realize its a small reduction, but just to be on the safe side, please check it out, ring 111 and askto speak to a practrist nurse or Dr they will ring you back, and it will put your mind at rest.

Mary

• Posted

Have you been to the doctor?  Maybe you have an infection which could be treated.  Take care.
  • Posted

I wouldn't try to reduce while I had even a mild cold - never mind one like that! Stick at 10mg for the time being - this isn't a race!

Get well soon!

• Posted

I had a chest infection last year and have scoliosis too, I was choking almost in the morning coughing, I had never had this before and it was quite scary, I got some antibiotics from my G.P. and my blood results shot up later on testing, I stayed on the same dose till the infection had gone.
    • Posted

I saw both my pulmonary and rheumy on Tues. plus my markers are great. I suspect the stress of a cold, which is really mild, requires a halt in tapering as Eileen suggested. I have not had any colds since I started the PMR . The chest phlegm portion of a cold's ending affects my breathing. That's a stress in of itself.

• Posted

You sound as if you have a plan now, and I hope you recover from your cold quickly...

Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.