Tapering Gabapentin

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi

I've been taking Gaba for about 18 months now 300 mg x 1 a day with the option of taking 100 mg during the day if needed.   I'm trying to taper and have dropped the 100 mg during the day - since I dropped the 100 mg I have been getting a headache and a feeling of fullness towards the time I would have taken it . . . anyone else experienced this?     I was taking it for nerve pain which is no longer evident - hence my reason for wanting to stop taking it.

Many thanks

Susan

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The feeling of fullness is in my head - I should have proof read the message before pressing send . .. .  thanks
    • Posted

You might also try drinking more water. You need to keep your meds "moving". I forget how many ounces a day per your weight, but you can google that. I weigh 200 lbs and try to drink 90 ounces of water a day. (If you can see through it, it's water, so if you don't like water, add an ounce of cranberry juice to your 8 ounces of water for a better taste)

• Posted

300 mgs a day is a tiny dose. If your nerve pain went away, is it because you are taking the med? Too often I'll stop a med when I feel better only to have the problem return. I don't know your age or health, but you are taking a very tiny dose. Talk to your doctor. Don't stop all at once as that could cause some real problems.

• Posted

Hi Robin - I was originally taking 900 mg a day but tapered down to 300 mg a few months ago without much difficulty - the original issue was nerve pain from a total knee replacement which has now gone.  My GP kept me on a small dose of 300 mg daily as he thought it would help with my arthritic pain from my other joints which I now realise it did . . .  my arthritic pain is back with a vengeance so I may just carry on with this small dose.

I think I just wanted to be free of gaba as I also take codeine and paracetemol and I was becoming concerned about the amount of medication I'm taking.

Thank you so much for getting back to me, it's very much appreciated.

Susan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.