Tapering off Gabapentin

Posted , 32 users are following.

I've been taking 400mg 3x daily for 6 weeks. I want to stop taking it because of side effects.  Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as to best way to do this?  

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Karen, This is a very dangerous drug....Please do not stop cold turkey! You must taper off at a slow rate. Have you spoken with prescribing physician as to how to go about getting off? Suggest you 1st do so. I was on a lower dose..100 mg 3x daaily. Never did make it past 200mg due to side effects. Took me a couple months to completely taper. I did so by cutting back 50mg weekly. Not sure if you have capsules or tablets. I was taking caps and wld open and empty 1/2 leaving 50mg. Hope this is of some help. Good luck.
    • Posted

I'm calling my doctor this morning as I'm sure I don't want to continue taking Gabapentin. 

So grateful for the responses about tapering slowly.  I will do that.

Can you tell me if when you opened capsule (thats what mine are) and emptied half out....did you put capsule back together or take it as is?  Isn't it difficult to try to put capsule back together?

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Karen, sorry for not explaing. Yes replaced top of cap (put back together) and took. Not at all difficult to do. When opening, need to gently pull and twist one end of cap. Make sure all powder is in bottom portion. Empty half, replace top gently and it's a go! Let me know how you make out...

• Posted

Thanks.  I'm presently taking 400 mg 3x daily.  Have been for 6 wks. Wondering if cutting by 100mg daily would be okay.  So then I'd take 400 in the morning, 400mg about 6 hrs later and last one would be 300mg.  Does that sound right in your opinion?  So I'd be taking 1100mg daily instead of 1200mg.  How long would I do that....for one week or longer?

Again, thanks so much.  Called and left message with my Drs office already.

• Posted

Hi Karen....What you suggest sounds good, however before starting tapering wait till you speak with Dr. May want you to taper differently. I was on a much lower dose than you and for a shorter period of time. It will take you longer to taper completely. If you don't hear back from Dr office soon sugggest calling them again. I've found they don't always return calls. Stay in touch with your progress and again good luck!

• Posted

I will talk to Doctor first. And I will post as I taper.  Thanks to all for responses.

Also, can I ask you what side effects you had while taking  Gabapentin that made you want to stop the medication. It's makes me so very tired all the time as well as I just feel so heavy and sluggish in my movements.  My balance is so bad, I'm afraid I'm going to fall. Also, just don't like how it makes me feel....rather dopey.

• Posted

Hi Karen, Just saw this. I had some very unpleasant side effets. Some as yours, but also memory loss, probs speaking and forming words. I found as time went on no longer sleepy, instead rather agitated. I also found it really didn't help much with pain. If anything it made me not care.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing.  Yes, trouble forming words or finding the right word.  Happening more and more.  My Doctor called back.  He said I should have no problem cutting back 100mg weekly and I can do it quicker if I'm finding it okay.  Glad I read these postings because people who've used the meds know best. Hoping I can figure out how much to take out of 400mg capsule to make it 300mg. 

• Posted

Need a good eye to do. Do by quarters. Empty 1/4 to make 300 mg. Glad your doctor helpful!
    • Posted

Please try ZMB6.  Magnesium.   IT helps a lot.   Got me off it on my fiHal taper.
    • Posted

my drs had me on 600 mg 3x daily.

they gave me 100 mg capsules, and i decressed one dose by 100, for a week, and repeated with esch dose until i got to where i wanted to be. my rx was for anxiety, so when things got terrible, i inevitably went up to 300, 4x a day. but will try again once covid gets handled.

• Posted

Very Very S L O W L Y..please do not rush it..withdrawal is horrid..been almost a year for me and still have some issues with it..not a nice drug..
  • Posted

Can I suggest you first check with your GP or medical practitioner that it's ok for you to withdraw... that being done the safest and most efficient way seems to be the slower the better.

Reduce 100mg every two weeks. Those less sensitive to the meds are able to reduce the 100mg every week which is the recommended time frame. If you have side effects you are not keen on it's likely you will benefit from the two week time frame.

Again, always discuss with your practitioner as every case is different and every brain reacts differently to Gabapentin- and wishing you huge amounts of success weaning off smoothly, easily and symptom free-ly!!!

• Posted

Like others have said take less and taper. I had bad side effects and the doc put me on Gralise, ano extended release form of gabapentin and I take all of them in the evening. No horrible side effects and it helps my horrible pain and burning without taking narcotics! But that is just my experience.
  • Posted

Hi Karen...the best thing to do is to talk to your prescribing doctor about tapering off of your gabapentin dosage. Wishing you all the best smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.