Tapering Off Pain Medication

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am at 6 weeks post op. The pain is finally decreasing a little bit a day. I'm worried about detoxing from Percocet and Tramadol.

I have taken 1 Percocet every 4 hours when the pain was at it's worst. I am not taking 1 Percocet every 8-10 hours with Tramadol for breakthrough. I'm trying to use more ibuprofen in place of narcotics.

Wondering if anyone has my lips to keep from going through the detox.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I meant, I am now taking 1 Percocet every 8-10 hours.

Wondering if anyone has any tips, lol😂

• Posted

Can't imagine having a detox problem for such a short time using pain meds. I took OxyContin for about 4 weeks and then oxycodone for another 6 weeks without any trouble. I did cut back on my own the oxycodone over about three weeks by using acediminfin half the time. 

• Posted

I'm kinda afraid due to being on it for a few weeks with my first surgery , menisectomy in March. It was a bad detox after that. I'm thinking the tapering will help. Last time it was cold turkey, lol

Thanks for your response.

• Posted

Tramadol is evil. Feel like crap, insomnia is the worse. Wondered why they decided to make it a controlled substance. Wasnt for years. Synthetic opioid. Gave up on them years ago. They didnt work. Doc gave them to my wife for arthritis pain. She was on them for years. She gave them up and had withdrawls.
    • Posted

Tramadol isn't considered a narcotic but I agree it is horrible. I had a terrible withdrawal with it during my first surgery.

I think I'm going to taper that one for sure.

Thanks for the response.

• Posted

Not sure where you are but it was made a controlled substance in my state years ago. Which i thought was wierd cause i didnt think it was worth a crap. Didnt help me. Then my wife stoped taking it and had a bad time. They drug test you to get a script for it now.

• Posted

Was on tramadol for a back op - never again!  Was worried as I was getting too used to it, read some write ups and took myself off it - worst 3 days in my life! I got through a TKR with ibuprofen and paracetamol once the spininal wore off. Was painful, but I was in control.
  • Posted

You won't have to detox...nature will take care of it. Suddenly the body has gone on to other needs. Low dosage taken as prescribed don't bother you unless you have a seriously addictive personality......but the word serious is key. Couple more weeks and you'll never have known you were on them.

• Posted

Hi Lailoni i have just stopped taking my tablets in in UK i have been tang co codomol they are codene and paracetamol first day yesterday but i keep feeling very low just wondering the same as you could it be that i have stopped i have never been like this before.
    • Posted

Yes, I know what you mean. I went through feeling like and sick for a week last time after my first surgery but I didn't taper off. It was cold turkey.

Thank you for your response.

• Posted

maybe thats where i have gone wrong but i dont want to start them again never a nice subject but they mabe ma extremely constipated i dont know which was the worse pain that or the knee lol

Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Hi there I'm in the U.K. and have been on morphine since November 2015, had serious problems and various surgeries on my leg leading up to TKR, I am now trying to come off this not because my pain has gone but because it makes me so tired. I am finding it difficult, I am reducing by 5mg every 5 or 6 days and I can feel the withdrawals each time. They fail to tell you these things when they are prescribing pain medication.

• Posted

You may be trying to get off before your body and brain says its time. Too much is said about addiction when, in my opinion, if taken as prescribed, the chances are rare. I've had 11 surgeries and 5 rehab on this leg and have taken a laundry list of pain meds in various dosage and have never felt compelled to use them for anything other than pain. When you start using them as sleeping pills and as an escape method you could have trouble

• Posted

Totally agree. I'm not worried about addiction, it's the withdrawal. I went through it with the last surgery. I actually think it was from the tramadol though.

• Posted

That's one that I never took. Guess they figured I just needed more tillni didn't need any.

My wife fell and broke the ball off of the femur and had to have a partial hip replacement a few weeks ago. She had to be transferred to the hospital by ambulance. They finally talked her into taking a sit of morphine while they were getting her to a room. She couldn't have surgery till the next day and they wanted to give her pain meds to keep her comfortable but she refused. After surgery they transferred her back to her room and insisted she take a 5/500 hydrocodone so she could get comfortable. After that she only took one mor and that was a hour before she was transferred to a rehab center 4 blocks away. The medical people almost seemed offended because she wouldn't take the stuff. Just shows we are all so different as to what our brains process when it comes to pain.

• Posted

I found same thing. If you ask for it, forget it. If they offer it and you don't want it, they look at you funny. Lol. Went in for surgery in june. Was told I could have 1000 mg Vicodin every 4 hours. If I didn't call the nurse for it she would come in trying to push it on me. Them and sleeping pills. Told them I didn't want sleeping pills. Then they would wall past my room see me awake, listening to music and think I was in pain and couldn't sleep. I would then have to explain to them I have been working nights, sleeping days almost 40 years. Lol. Can keep your pills but I will take a turkey sandwich and a apple juice. Lol

• Posted

That's for sure, we are all different. I'm an RN, usually the pusher not the taker ha! Sure opened my eyes being on the other side of this.😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.