tapering off venlafaxine input please..

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi iv been on venlafaxine since March iv had enough now of the meds & the system. I havnt informed my gp just can't be bothered .. Iv gone 2nights without now & feel ok . Am I to expect WD or do some get away with it? I was on 225mg. Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sharon

it's unlikely you will get away without any symptoms. Your dose was quite high too. I only reduced my dose and had dreadful nausea and dizziness. Why have you decided to come off? Was it not helping.

I hope you are one of the lucky ones and have no side effects. I think it's worth letting your gp know, as they may be able to offer an alternative route for your recovery.

Wishing you well ?

• Posted

Hi Lorraine it just doesn't agreen with me . I was on it years ago & it didn't then either. I havnt had a nights sleep naturally since taking it. The pdr wouldn't put me on it because of my constant racing thoughts and talking to myself ..ven makes it worse ..but because mirtazapine made Me so ill she put me on it .. Iv tried my hardest to let it work & it's not happening. . I asked for citrolpram before ven as I'd done some research as I take lithium to ..she said no we don't have much use for it here..I was in a right state I told her I just wanted to die I cnt live like this..crying so badly. I have no life & have a 3yr old son and she just didn't care & turned her back.. so I'm also addicted to zopiclone now no doubt because she put me on venlafaxine. I woke up this morning at 11am to my son shaking me .. that's not right .. its not fare. My dr can only take instructions from her ..which is a shame he's been with me for 20yrs with this illness. Iv just got so I'll since I had my son. Sorry to go on.. I'm so lost .xx

• Posted

Aww Sharon

how dreadful that you are enduring so much. It may be that these particular trycylic drugs are not something that will work for you whereas an Ssri eg. citalopram may well be the right AD for you. I would be very determined with your doctor and insist that you need something that will work for you. Mirtazipine and ven are a different group of AD and it's clear they are making you unwell and not agreeing with you. I really hope you have some support at home Sharon, as it's so hard looking after yourself with this illness, let alone being responsible for a little one. I am worried that the ven withdrawals may kick in, are you allowed diazepam to help you through this period?

Giving you a virtual hug and praying you will start feeling better. Please let me know how your getting on ???

• Posted

Thankyou so much Lorraine just had a panic attack 1st 1 in 3yrs so your so right. Why can't the doctors see what u can.. is sertraline the same group as mirt & ven do u no ?? No I'm alone I have a daughter whose 26 she helps but works alot so cnt really do much.. Oliver was a surprise which Is typical of my life. I couldnt have anymore after my daughter . Then I turn 40 & it happens. My husband is turkish & lives in Turkey impossible to get a visit visa ..so we go there when possible. I cnt live their because of my bipolar wouldn't be able to afford my medication. .people say I'm stupid bt who looks at visa regulations when you meet someone. . I don't no just everything is do difficult xx

• Posted

Hi Sharon

no sertraline is a different group, it's a SSRI. I bet little Oliver is gorgeous. Your panic attack is probably due to cold turkey withdrawal from ven. Could you consider taking a small amount until you see your doc? I think you need to be kind to yourself as right now your brain is desperately trying to cope without the ven and trying to balance again. I know you don't want to take ven but for your health please take a small dose each day until you see the doc. I feel for you Sharon and please do what's best for you...take even half tab until you can get an alternative ????

• Posted

He's gorgeous but a little monster .he doesn't likeep to sleep either.. Iv just found some 75mg il take 1 of them now I think. My daughter foned my gp he's off today bt will have him ring tomorrow.. thanku so much for your help Lorraine it's really helped me xx

• Posted

So pleased your going to take a little bit ♥

Please stay in touch and let me know what doc says xx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine.  I agree with what you told Sharon.  I forgot my pill one evening and the next day I felt awful..  I want to go off of it because it makes me sweat like a pig.  I am constantly sweating with no relief. It's terrible....But I am afraid of two things. One is that I will get terrible withdrawal symptoms and the other is that I am afraid my acute anxiety will come back...That is why I went on the drug in the first place.

• Posted

Hi Sharon. It's a shame you are feeling so rough. Is there anyone you can take with you to the Drs so they can speak for you. I know the last thing you want to do is speak to Drs. Especially when you feel they are not helping. I hope you think again about consulting Dr. 225mg is a lot to just come off all at once. I wish you lots of love and big hugs. X

• Posted

Hi Pauline my daughter is going to phone him now thanks.. I cnt believe how this has just hit me like a ton of bricks..tears wnt stop pouring. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Sharon. I'm so pleased your daughter is there. It's difficult sometimes for family to understand what your going through. It's difficult for you as you really don't know why or what is happening. Sharon one day at a time. Tiny steps. You will make it through. I did. Love and hugs to you. Xx

• Posted

Hi Pauline she's a little star now took a while because she's been pretty angry at times towards me because of the way iv been over the years, bt now thankfully is understanding as much as she can be.

Iv never tapered off meds never heard of it until I joined this forum ..I actually asked what does it mean. I can't see myself ever being well .. I was on mirtazapine before ven had so many side effects but stuck it out, my pdr makes me feel more worthless than I thought possible. I cried & cried in her office I was that bad she then said she's putting me on ven ..(Id been on it years ago I kept taking overdoses)so I was then pt on trazadone. Before she put me on mirt she was gonna put me on ven bt couldn't bcause of me constantly talking to myself to the point I have to shout out shut up.it drives me mad!!! So she says I'm putting u on ven I begged her not to I said I just wana die I cnt go on like this. Why not citrolpram it's gos with lithium. No we dnt have much use here. I feel I'm never gona be well ..I dnt leave the house I'm like a couch potatoe. I don't sleep on these drugs so she put me on zopiclone too. My god my poor boy. I ruined my daughters childhood she knows this now she's letting me do the same to my son.. I'm so sorry I'm babbling so bad .. tears are pouring again. I just cnt go on. It's not good for any1 I have no trust in the system I feel like everyone just wants to push me over the edge n just give them peace at last. I'm so sorry xx

• Posted

All I know is you have to go off this drug slowly. Consult your gp. I haven't heard anyone who has gotten away with it. I went off it slowly week by week and now am on 30mg of Fluoxitine. So far so good.

• Posted

Thanku Dolores I'm gona take 1 tonight speaking to my dr tomorrow. I hate this drug but not as much as mirtazapine ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.