TED'S

Posted , 15 users are following.

So at day 9 post op the most difficult thing of this whole hip replacement procedure is the putting on of the thrombolic socks! It's driving my partner mad having to put them on me every day as I can't manage myself. How does anyone manage if they're on their own?

Are you all wearing them for the 6 weeks?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was very naughty and took them off and they stayed off... just made sure I kept moving my legs and doing short walks....
  • Posted

Hi Susan.

Yes I'm week 4 and have continued to wear the Teds. I have had no swelling as asa trainer nurse they need to stay on. You don't want a Deep vein thrombosis.

Here is a tip. Put a plastic bag over your toes and they will slide on easily. Then pull the bag through the whole. Easy peasy.

Good luck with your recovery. It will have its ups and downs xxxx

• Posted

Absolutely awful things. My husband hated putting them on me, not least because he really kept hurting me and it was upsetting.  I got larger sized ones, which were slightly easier to put on and then I gradually left them off for a day, put the things on the next, till I wore them no more.  I think mobility needs to really improve so that you are past the risk of thrombosis.  Speak to the docs.  Good, good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Susan,

when I saw my Consultant after two weeks he told me I could leave them off. Oddly enough, they only put one stocking on my healthy leg. I looked really weird walking around with one dark green knee high sock. It was bliss not having to wear it anymore. I hasten to add that I was walking well and doing all my exercises. Kind regards, Ruth

• Posted

Hi Susan, I'm wearing mine at just over 4 weeks. Two things I found useful - 1. dust your legs lightly with talc first and 2. Make sure whoever puts them on you keeps their knuckles OUTSIDE the stockings otherwise it'll really hurt. Good luck! xx

• Posted

Six weeks - yes - in my case I had to wear them again after my revision 4 weeks after ditching them the first time !

My wife and I could not put them on - I could get them off though by using the long-handled shoehorn.  

We had to get my son, who is strong, to put them on for me.  How anyone on their own does it I have no idea.

• Posted

Physical therapist says using a small plastic bag over the toes and then put stockings on and pull bag through hole of stocking. Takes a lil practice but that's best way to put them in! Good luck! Have a speedy recovery! LD

• Posted

Yes - I remember now - I was given a special 'TED putter-onner' - a nylon bag, to put on the foot to help the TEDS to slip over the foot.

• Posted

It's in my website - 07 - Admission - there's a picture of it.

Amazing how I have forgotten ....... my memory has certainly deteriorated over the past year.

• Posted

Yes, put them on over a bag, as the others have said. After a week I was told to just wear them at night, and after a month I stopped wearing them.
  • Posted

Absolute carnage isn't it ? Have you tried the talc and plastic bag trick ? Talc on the foot followed by a big sandwich type plastic bag. Push the offending article down the foot then pull the bag out before finishing off...

Good luck...

Rob

• Posted

That's funny I was going to post today about the flipping stockings driving me nuts 😭😖, I think I'll stick it out till at least 5 weeks . But for people on there own Iv no idea , doing it yourself isn't an option.

• Posted

We don't wear them at all in Canada. I wonder why it's mandatory in Britain...

We are instructed to take Aspirin daily for 6 weeks post op to prevent DVT (deep vein thrombosis).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.