Teenager with aspergers

Posted , 5 users are following.

My grandson was diagnosed at 8 and has received quite a bit of support over the years. He is quiet and quite shy and sensitive. My main worry is i

his very poor self image. He will not look n a mirror at all or at photos of himself. How can we help him?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Love him and tell him how wonderful he is, never say anything negative about his appearance (I'm not supposing you would) but you need to counterbalance the negative self-image he has by going far in the other direction.  

I am Autistic and I used to be anorexic, I know what dreadful self-image is like and the worst thing that people used to do to me was give 'constructive criticism' (stand up straight, wear brighter colours, blah blah).  I felt so low about my looks if people had only said good things to me it might have just brought me up to the level everyone else was at.  

Unconditional love, support and acceptance will go a long way!

• Posted

Has he been to a therapist? There could be issues that he can resolve better with a professional helping him. I'm sure it's very hard for his loved ones and he's not avoiding his own image to worry you.

Another thing that comes to mind is...could he have prosopagnosia? It's rare but not unheard of and seems to be more common amongst those with autism of some sort. He may not even know he has it, if he does. I suspected this in my son when I asked if he knew each classmate when he saw them in school (new school year) and he reacted like I was funny saying, "No. I know when I hear them talk!"  He was 4 then, and I realized he has trouble learning and recognizing faces. His case is mild, though. In your grandson's case, if he has this, he may not see photos or reflections as the rest of us do and they wouldn't interest him at all.

I've heard of the condition from a friend who has it. She said she felt like a bad person for not recognizing people - unfriendly and aloof. That's how others were seeing her. She had no idea until she studied Psychology at university. Now she tells new acquiantances so they won't be put off. Neither she nor my son are on the spectrum...it's worth looking into since your son happens to be.

Good Luck!! HUGS!

• Posted

It purely depends on what aspect of his detest or general dislike of his personal image.

If its confidence just try and get him gently to watch himself in photos or mirrors and emphersise his good points this can bring out confidence which can help.

Or if its a lack of care attitude as some autism sufferers have then give him time, unless something becomes a problem dont try and change autistic people they tend to dislike it myself included!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.