Teeth and cfs / me / post viral fatigue

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am interested to know if there is a connection between teeth decay / problems and cfs etc I have a real fear of the dentist haven't been for a very long time had bad experience the last time I went, I just have a feeling there could be a link 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The only connection I can see is if you have tummy problems with high acid which might erode the enamel on your teeth - but I'm not a medically trained person but one who lost all my teeth at the age of 24 - 51 years ago due to the above.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you lost your teeth at early age Clive that must have been a scary time
    • Posted

Thanks royalty.  I had a burst peptic ulcer at the age of 17 and had two thirds of my stomach removed but the acid ruined my up till then good teeth.

If you have tummy problems good teeth are essential to break down the food before swallowing.

My dentist took one look inside my mouth told me I could go back for treatmet every week for six months and they would still be no good and advised me to have them all out.

I was more terrified at what my then fiancee would think of having a "toothless wonder" for an husband but she was very supportive as she knew of the terrible bouts of neuralgia I was having.

Now, if my teeth hurt I stick them in a glass of water and laugh at them cheesygrin

As to your CFS - have you had your Vitamin B12 and Folate levels checked as sometimes a B12 Deficiency can produce symptoms similar to CFS.

• Posted

Aww love your sense of humour 😂😂👍 no I haven't had vit b 12 checked I think I will have to ask to have it done thanks

• Posted

And don't forget about the Folate as the two go together like peaches and cream.

Oh and I cheekily checked your age on yor profile - and:-

"Anyone at any age, can become B12 deficient. However, certain people are at an elevated risk. They include the following:

People aged sixty and over"

This is mainly because as we get older our stomach acidity, which is necessary to grab the B12 from our food, decreases.

In a normal healthy person the stomach lining has what are called "Gastric parietal cells" which produce "Intrinsic Factor" which travels with food through the small intestine which is made up of three parts - the Duodenum, the Jejunum and the Ilium.. Iron is absorbed in the Duodenum, most other nutrients in the Jejunum and our friend B12 in the Ilium. Here the Intrinsic Factor binds to the B12 and the "B12/IF Complex" enters the cells on the wall of the Ilium after binding to receptors on the surface of the Ileal cells, allowing it to enter the blood stream.

• Posted

Thanks Clive I'm sixty next year must change profile age I will have to look into that

• Posted

If you click on my profile you will see that I'm still "clivealive" at 75 and have had P.A. (a form of B12 deficiency) for over 45 years - hence my interest in other "diseases" being possibly "misdiagnosed".

• Posted

I've never noticed a link, nor have I read anything about such a link.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.