temple pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

I know i have written before regarding pain in temple and earache, but how long does it go on for.

Once again last night i had pain over my eyebrows and my eyes were stinging, earache, and pain in the neck (so i am , i have been told) it is scary when it is a night time, and i know a lot of you do suffer with this, i think because i am reducing it worries me more, should the pred be helping to ease this on 10mg at the moment, or am i just worrying for nothing.

I really think it is one of thoses weeks were i am having niggles  as last week it did not seem so bad. Just wanted to talk about it with someone who understands. Sorry

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You don't have to apologize. Pain is pain and this PMR is painful to say the least.

i haven't had your symptoms,but have you spoken to your doctor about Giant Cell  Arteritis you get with PMR? 

I would suggest you do so soon if you haven't already.

Like you say we are well one day and a feel the whole effects of the disease the next.

In the early 1980's I was diagnosed and I could not walk up stairs. Then I had no problems Till April this year and after I was laid up 4 months earlier from a broken ankle. Once I was active PMR hit with a vengeance. 

I am not on anything, suffering through it as I hate steroids. I take calcium with D3 twice a day, flax seed oil, fish oil, and 2 Aleve .

i am 74 and imagine the day will come when I will need medicine but I am getting along now, keep active and hope I go into remission again.

hope you have a good day.

• Posted

I wish i had spoken to some one like you before i hit this road, i just wanted to scream at some one yesterday and yes i know there are people worse than me, but before i wrote that while i was out shopping a man said come on love your fit and well you can go before me, ohhhhhhhh i thought you would not like what i have and the tablets i take,its oh i dont know 
  • Posted

I am sorry to hear of your pain. I have now reduced to 6mgpred and am having pain similar to yours. I am going to take advice from others in the forum and reduce more carefully, ie two days at reduced, 5 days at previous, then 3 days at reduced and so on. Hopefully this will help. maybe you could try it as well. My GP wants me to reduce every day but I feel this will be more beneficial.

I am also having bad nights, waking almosy every hour and so feeling exhausted in the morning .I am on Dusolopin and my GP has increased this to see if that will help, but so far there is no difference.

• Posted

don't be sorry. This PMR health journey is as scary as any I've been on.

Seems to be my week for "me too". The PMR/pred certainly fires the imagination and worry. Hard to remain objective at times. Things I would normally brush off which normally come and go I wonder more deeply about.

I'm down to 6mg and feel its time to reduce further.

I've always had headaches but something has changed. Particularly twinges around temples when I exert myself (a bit of gardening or truck maintenance). Enough to make me stop. Then again, I've also been overdoing the computing. The bolt being tightened from one temple to the other I've had before PMR, but never for this long.

New specs are ready for me to pick up. Doctor was thorough, my blood is normal. Bone density normal. Had a look through opthalmoscope and confirmed eyes ok. Generally discounted GCA. Just in case looking for other possible causes need to make MRI scan appointment in the morning. Usual discussion about cholesterol, its risen along with my weight and the pred.

• Posted

You can have GCA without any visual effects. Just saying...
    • Posted

ta,

the only symptom is the headache which could be something or nothing. Confounded by lifelong history of headache. Numerous failed attempts at cures. Also lots of disbelief. Doctor developed an air of urgency when I got weeks mixed up with days! I'm lucky with my Doctors. They problem solve like I do, discount something but never ignore the possibility until cause is known.

It won't happen this time but I read recently of MRI with increased resolution capable of resolving individual cells. Which is anticipated to provide a non-intrusive test for GCA.

• Posted

PS the blood indicators of inflammation (don't you hate it when you can't remember the acronyms) are also normal which helps discount GCA.

To come back to Margaret, I posted like this as a way of sharing the scariness. My reputation is for being objective under pressure, but this PMR/GCA/Pred stuff keeps trying to find chinks in my armour. For some reason I find it helps simply not being alone. In the general scheme of things I'm really not suffering overly much, its more like an exam where the thought of it is worse than doing it. I'm having a "do nothing day" today.

• Posted

thank you its the temple pain thats the worse and it so worrying , like you say little things grow in the night, back to not sleeping, i was not this bad before steriods and did not want to take them, but like everybody says its the only treatment, just have to grinbiggrin and bear it.
    • Posted

Another just saying...

One in 5 patients with both PMR and GCA can have normal blood markers (ESR and CRP by the way) so normals bloods doesn't discount GCA, any more than a negative TAB (temporal artery biopsy) does.

• Posted

another ta,

I still have stiffness and a bit of pain in my shoulders/arms but blood is normal so its easy to comprehend that normal blood doesn't mean a lot for me.

I can also understand a biopsy being a bit hit and miss. Spot samples of anything are like that. Plunge arm into haystack and find needle? Doesn't quite sound right. Either luck or its pervasive if positive?

A slight (humourous) twist on tomorrow's MRI brain scan .... I need an eye x-ray first. I've been repairing my truck which meant a bit of grinding steel. Despite the safety goggles the occasional spark gets past. The bits are magnetic and can apparently cause excruciating pain during the MRI. I didn't dare ask if it could be worse than what I experienced with undiagnosed PMR.

My general conclusion, as with most of this stuff,  is "I may or may not have something which may or may not be serious and may or may not show up in tests and may either develop into something more or less serious or not develop into anything at all".

I've set my expectations at being happy if they can find my brain so I hopefully won't be disappointed. And if they find my brain I'll buy a lotto ticket.

Early days but the new glasses (today) seem to be helping a bit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.