Temporal Arteritis following Surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

My Temporal Arteritis onset was sudden immediately following surgery with general anesthesia.  I was a healthy 57 year old female before.  Has anyone else had this experience?  My holistic MD said it is possible a viurs or bacterium was introduced during surgery that cause my immune system to go into overdrive. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was a nurse-anesthetist in a large, prestigious, hospital and have never seen

n this after surgery. I myself developed PMR after a small bowel obstruction involving a bowel leak from "dead bowel" requiring 11/2 ft. small bowel removal. It was a big stress and I was near death. 

Some members here can pinpoint a stress others have no clue as to what has triggered PMR. I was exposed to bacteria and required multiple antimicrobials and antifungals. 

Even though measures are taken to ensure sterile conditions for surgery one can be exposed to microbes in other areas of the hospital, from unwashed hands, contaminated surface and even the bad microbes living on your own skin you yourself   walk around with all the time.

Even if we knew the cause we just have to deal with it.

• Posted

Hi for what it is worth I was 66 and healthy and developed GCA in a very short period of time and my Doc told me he now has another patient very similar to me. We both cycle 4 - 5000 k a year and we both developed GCA quicker than normal

Good luck

• Posted

Or even just the stress of the surgery was enough to be the straw that broke the camel's back - and sent your immune system into overdrive. 

In that you are by far from unusual - many people can look back on a period up to their PMR or GCA developing where they experienced many different stresses, illness, injury, emotional and physical stresses. There are others where is seemed to just sort of happen - there are absolutely no common links that can be identified. There are also a LOT of previously very healthy and active people of all ages on the forums.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.