Temporal Arteritis ( GCA)

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have Tdmporal Arteritis there are three years. I do not have Polymialgia associated with as most part of patients do.

Would like to know the kind of experience you have, Thank you.

I

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My case is different because I do have both. Big thing I experience with GCA is pounding headaches and jaw pain. Currently on 40 mg of prednisone, down from 50mg 5 weeks ago. Been to emerg dept three times with headache, jaw pain and chest discomfort. Had PET scan done which showed shadowing on my lungs.
  • Posted

I am GCA only. I am very lucky this far. My side effects from high and long doses of press has been difficult: weird sleep, super fatigue, weird mouth sores, no taste, sensitive teeth, ETC.!! I began my journey last Feb. and am now down to 6 mgs... am on dead slow reduction via Eileen. Am hoping my adrenals are kicking in. I wish you a safe journey...stay with the forum! Hugs from another GCA ( am 1/2 Finnish) and happy holidays, Ann11195
  • Posted

hi

I started with jaw pain oct 2 of this year. Then I developed Ocula migaines in one eye only. Within a couple of days I associated that every time a took Tylenol for the pain I lost vision in my left eye. I changed to 222 that was OK for a couple of days. My BP was 160/130 pulse 120 I when to emegency, they did a ct scan and blood work. There was no problem with either i was sent home saw my GP next day. He said it could be TA but the blood work did not show any problems. he left me with a precription for 292, preds, and an anti inflammatory and do not the preds unless instructed to. 4 days later pain was so bad and I had a migraine like head ache for over a day. Started on the preds 50MG. pain gone in about 3 hours. Call my GP told him what had happen he referred me to a Rheumatiod doctor he put me on 60 mg. Saw him a week later he took me to reduced 5 mg per week until I encouter TA pain or until I hit 20 MG and then see him again. I now down to 20mg Starting today my next appiontment with him is Feb 1. I am not to sure what to do for the next month stay at 20MG or reduce 10% every 2 weeks. I have blood work done every 2 weeks ESR was at 15 and CK when for 3 to 58 then to 152 and back to normal all with in a 2 week period. I had a Cat scan 3 MRI one with dye I am not sure of the results. In the past my GP has also gotten back to me with Bad results he wait for office visited with good result 

• Posted

I was replying to you and the message was gone I am using the PC because the e -mails form Patient do not go to the iPhone neither iPad.

You have a load of symptoms, Pred taperings, tests, MRIs,  eye migraine,  loss of vision on that same eye.... OMG!

Are you able to sleep enough hours? Do you have pain during the night?

The best thing I can say and do for you now is to write your name adding to a list of names I have and tonight I will pray for you, visualising your name and seeing you as perfect as you are!

Yes, perfect, whole, harmonious!

I am sending you a gentle hug, dear Ardern.

• Posted

hi

To answer your questions. I have realized that T A is not cookie cutter disease one size does not fit all. I have no trouble sleeping and as far as pain goes after I started the preds within Hours the pain is gone. I do have head ache but that is all they are. I spent a I month sleep deprived on Pain killers after I started the preds within hours the pain was gone. The Doc who is treating me is a friend I have known for 7 years. He says that the only way to be sure that he diagost it correctly was through a biospy which was the first positive one in my area this year. I can't win at the lotory but i got this. I am considr myself lucky so far i am able to reduce my dependeeence on this drug so far. I find that it is gretting harder to get going in the mornings. At first i had the mintal will to push through it but now is seems every day brings new obstaceles my spellings gets worse every day. One think I though was funny that when I found out about the positive results my ophthalmologist need to see me he had not seen some with TA before and did not see anything wrong with my eyes. anyways thanks for the encouragement we don't have any choice but to push ahead and face it head on this certainly is a wake up call to living every day

• Posted

I hope the ophthalmologist realises that the reason he didn't see anything wrong with your eyes was becuse it was caught early enough! Although you can have GCA where the temporal artery biopsy is positive and it doesn't affect your eyes. Apparently the temporal artery being affected is often more associated with the symptom of scalp pain - it is other arteries being affected that cause visual problems and they can be affected without the temporal artery being involved. Unfortunately those facts don't seem to figure highly on the list!
    • Posted

After reading the explanation given above I realize it is quite useful for me as well,

Thank you, Eileen.

• Posted

hi

yesterday was just terrible. I stayed to late maybe 12 sleeped well but long enough. I always get up at 6. Anyways today is going to be better. I am lucky with both my Doctors they seem well aquainted with this disease and both read me the riot act about eye sight once it is gone its not coming back. The weather is above freezing today no snow and I am going for a walk it usally getts me out of the fog. If I am not touch have a merry Christmas without any  pain 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.