Tension headaches

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have had tension headaches for abou 9 weeks - had physio but would like any thoughts on what I might do next - they are mild most of the time but I would like to get rid of them 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi. So good to here from you I have had four weeks of constant headache from tension, it has been bad when it first started I was in bed in terrible pain it hurt to just breathe, I have seen a chiropractor which I think has helped the tension in my neck and back muscles but headache remaining! I had a Indian head massage the other day which I think helped a very small amount! Might be worth a try if urs are mild, is your headache constant? Do you know what set it off? They think mine was started from sleeping upright. I have now started amitriptyline to try prevent the headache, might be worth asking gp if they would consider medication?
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply - I sm loathe to start medication so just wondered if you had any side effects .My GP suggested 10mg  at night - am going to up exercise and try Acupuncture next week . I have never had headaches before - very unexpected ! I have stopped taking panadol because of medication headaches - fortunately I seem to manage without anything which is probably better.
    • Posted

Hi I have started on 10mg I too would prefer without medication but I was in so much pain and like you I also had to stop the pain medication due to rebound, 10 mg is a tiny dose and it hasn't given me side effects it just knocks you out a bit, hence taking it a couple of hours before bed, come Monday if no better I'll have to go back to gp and I think they might tell me to up it to 20mg which I dont want to do but then again I can't carry on like this, I'm not good with pain anyway and while it's decreased a lot on the 10 mg I think I might need a higher dose to try get to it a bit more
    • Posted

Its getting better just taking for ever and very slowly, I think it's definitely one of those things that you have to throw every thing at it, it's easy to say it's just a headache but we are talking about big muscles here and once It all starts pulling it's horrible, good luck!
    • Posted

When starting on amitriptyline, it takes some time for the body to adjust, the wooziness should stop after a while, it might take several weeks. Likewise, the benefits, re: head pain, could also take weeks to be of any great consequence. I take nortriptyline, which is related, they also took time to be beneficial (and stop making me dizzy).
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply I have uped the dose which seems to be giving me the same side effects as when I took the 10mg the first time round. It seems to make it press worse on the left side then go back to being a band across the top of my head although hopefully less severe. The medication seems to make me feel awful for a couple of days. Hopefully though it will at lest make it a little better 
    • Posted

hi just wondering how you are getting on have you found anything to help? 
    • Posted

No unfortunately not.  Headaches are vicious today.  Going for a massage this evening in the hopes of getting some mild relief.  Recently started getting some tingling in my hands and feet, don't know what that's all about!  How are things on your end?
    • Posted

Well it was getting milder I increased the amertriptline but today is bad the only thing I can think is that I had coffee this morning, hoping it's that as yesterday was really very mild compared to how it has been and once It grips on it doesn't want to let go
  • Posted

I realise that this might sound daft, but years ago, I read that the commonest reason for headaches, in women, is dehydration. I tried increasing my fluid intake, and, back then almost never had headaches again. I only have them now as the result of another health issue. I've seen some posts where people have had success seeing a chiropractor (?!), it might be worth a try. Also, relaxation exercises could help.
  • Posted

Hi there, I have had chronic tension headaches for more than 17 years so unfortunately I haven't solved them.....yet. I have found, however, that treatments such as acupuncture, Botox, and staying active has provided at least some relief. Do you sit at a desk a lot? I do, and that's when they are the worst. I'm considering a stand up desk.
  • Posted

Hi has anyone found anything to help I have not!?? Now on 30mg amitriptyline at night which takes the edge off

• Posted

Hi there.  No, I'm still struggling with daily tension headsches.  For me, the only thing to take the edge off is exercise but that's temporary.  I recently started a new type of therpy that uses lasers (red and infrared) to target pain.  It's too early in the treatment to cast a credible vote, but others have reported good results.  I'm very hopeful as I've tried everything else and NOTHING has lasted.  I'll keep you posted on how effective it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.