tension / pressure around back of head.

Posted , 11 users are following.

i have suffered from tension / pressure around the back of my head on and off for about 10 years now.im 43. im not in pain but it can get you down. i think its due to the muscles contracting around the worn area of my neck,approx middle to top of the back of my head. does anyone else get this.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

You really should ask your doctor for an xray or mri scan to determine if you have cervical spondylosis or not. I think the amount of time you've had your symptoms warrants this.

• Posted

yes ,the last time i went to the doctors he said that he thought it was cs,but i am going back to see if i can see a consultant to get an mri just to confirm. thanks for your reply.

mat.

• Posted

Hi,

My pleasure...just surprised (but not really!) that your GP didn't send you for xray once he figured it might be c/s ! This should have been the next step. Anyway....Good Luck.

Gerry

• Posted

i have EXACTLY the same symptoms...any advice on what to do?
  • Posted

As above, see your doctor, and if he doesn't suggest an xray or mri scan, prompt him :wink:
  • Posted

i had an xray and it shows mild spondylosis in the lower region, but nothing major going on. but it does not feel mild to me the pressure/tension is still there. the doctor has said to try some physio so i will give that a go before going back to see him. i can feel restriction in most movements and feel some grinding noises at the top of the cervical spine. it does feel noisy above c1 at back of head.
  • Posted

[quote:446d40d7cb=\"mat \"]i had an xray and it shows mild spondylosis in the lower region, but nothing major going on. but it does not feel mild to me the pressure/tension is still there. the doctor has said to try some physio so i will give that a go before going back to see him. i can feel restriction in most movements and feel some grinding noises at the top of the cervical spine. it does feel noisy above c1 at back of head.[/quote:446d40d7cb]

Hiya Mat, smile

The crunching, grinding noises can be quite common in CS, try glucosamine, also gentle 'no' movements can be helpful in avoiding keeping your head in one position too long.

Just because the x-rays show mild spondylosis, doesn't mean that you should have mild symptoms, everyone is different, and everyone feels pain differently.

Was it only an x-ray you had Mat? Or an MRI scan?

Take Care

Emxx smile

• Posted

hi and thanks for the reply. i just had an xray. just lately i have been getting a bit of tension behind the eyes as well. i understand that there is an optical nerve that gets irritated. im going to a ciro soon to see if he can do anything for me .i will report back with the results.

mat.

• Posted

Hi everyone, thought I would pay a visit again instead of hovering in the background! I'm feeling in hypochondriac mode this week as my symptons are varying with the hour, thankfully the one thing that remains a constant is my sense of humour - and my husbands!

The tension/pain around the back of my head is one of the symptons I do find hard to deal with, sometimes I've passed out with it. I get regular bouts of vertigo but thankfully recently they have been problematic when I first wake up but usually settle within the first hour. I have problems with numbness generally, arms, legs and for some reason the soles of my feet! I'm not going to try walking across hot coals, knowing me id wobble off the edge and twist my ankle!

Over the past 10 or 11 years since my original diagnosis i have made some visits to several GPs with symptons I associated with CS and they have directed me to several consultants for medical tests such as parkinsons - even though I always said I felt the symptons were linked to CS. Its as if they feel the diagnosis of CS isnt really much of a problem - I can only say I wouldnt recommend it to anyone.

Sorry, I think Ive had a ramble, much as I have great family, friends, sometimes I do feel that living around someone who suffers with Chronic pain and is never out of pain cant really be a barrel of laughs.

Thank you for the support you have given me, always much appreciated, all of you take care smilesmilesmile

• Posted

oh you have our sympathies, and yes it makes us feel like a hypochondriac as i have said many times. i wake up felling like my hands are dead, it takes me a few shakes and rubs to get the feeling back. i always thought it was my diabetes but lately due to other symptoms i realise it is my neck yet again. i have given up on gp's and tend to listen to fellow members and their advice , i have been on very strong painkillers for quite some time now and nothing helps, so i lie flat on my back and hope tomorrow will be a better day, and when i have a good day i make the most of it or them as the case might be. look after yourself and keep your chin up
  • Posted

I don't fell like I am an hypochondric but I am sure that people around me must think that I am. I hear myself telling family and friends, when they ask how I am, about the amount of severe pain I have had in the last flare up and I think that they must be pig sick of hearing me.

I have decided that I am going to make the most of my time inbetween flare ups but am afraid to arrange anything incase it strikes once more. The most distressing times are when I cannot pick up my young grandchildren. I don't understand why I am like this so how can a 2 year old? Sorry for having a moan!!!

Regards to all fellow sufferers and their families.

Patty Pain.

• Posted

[quote:1e3316ee41=\"Patty Pain\"]I don't fell like I am an hypochondric but I am sure that people around me must think that I am. I hear myself telling family and friends, when they ask how I am, about the amount of severe pain I have had in the last flare up and I think that they must be pig sick of hearing me.

I have decided that I am going to make the most of my time inbetween flare ups but am afraid to arrange anything incase it strikes once more. The most distressing times are when I cannot pick up my young grandchildren. I don't understand why I am like this so how can a 2 year old? Sorry for having a moan!!!

Regards to all fellow sufferers and their families.

Patty Pain.[/quote:1e3316ee41]

Hiya Patty smile

Please don't apologise.

We'll always listen to you, because we know how you feel, unfortunatly :wink: I have a 3.5 year old grandaughter, and I have been unable to pick her up or play with her properly, can't even think about taking her to the park, never been able to push her in her buggy, things like that, gits ya mad doesn't it?? On the plus side I didn't miss out with my 12 year old grandson smile

I do wish this site had a place where we could and talk 'Off Topic' would be really useful, any thoughts anyone??

Take Care

Emxx smile

• Posted

I'm sitting here reading everyones experiences and pains etc and thinking to myself.....wow..... wow....and more wow's.....I KNOW how that feels....THEY must know how I feel too then!!!!!!!!

*HUGS* for everyone!!!!!

Luv Jas..xx.. 8)

• Posted

Hi, something that I, and probably most of you, have experienced, is that anything which involves tipping the head back brings on the type of tension/pressure described. For instance, I cleaned a lightshade the other day, and even though I stood on a buffet to reach, I still had to tip my head back to look up. My neck tightened up immediately. It only took a few minutes to clean the lightshade, but my neck is still all tightened up and sore! We learn, don't we, which actions cause which types of pain. For instance, talking about picking up small children, I mentioned on here a couple of weeks ago, I got myself into serious strife babysitting my twin baby nieces. That was a different kind of pain, it felt as though the whole of my neck and back was in spasm.I was almost in tears on the train home, the pain was so bad and it took ages to get over it. It's one thing knowing what will cause our pains though, but it can be quite another avoiding those things sometimes!

On the bright side, I have two adorable baby nieces and a sparkling lightshade, so it's not all bad :D

Take care everyone,

Lou xx

• Posted

hi. well i have had 2 visits to the ciropractor and it has helped me so far. i have more range left to right and up and down.its not cheap but its worth it to relieve this tension. it wont work for everybody but it has helped me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.