Terbinafine (lamisil) side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking Terbinafine for a fungal infection in my toe nails. I was taking it for 3 months, the first 2 months gave no problem. But for the last month, I started getting aches and pain in my shoulders and upper arms (flu like muscle pain). They seem worse at night, or if I try to do any excercise like press ups.

I saw the dooctor and he advised that I stop taking the Terbinafine to see if the problem stops.

I stopped taking the medicine 3 weeks ago and although the pains are better, they still haven't gone completely. I'm getting fed up with waking in the night with the pain and wonderd if anyone else had similar side effects and if so, how long did they take to stop after stopping the medicne?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had side effects from Terbinafine & we put in a yellow card to report them.

If you go to a website that deals with drugs you will find that less common side effects are listed as joint pains & body aches & pains.

It takes a while for the drug to leave your system  & even when it has gone from your system, you might need to take something to help with the pain for a little while.

I'll pm  you a link

• Posted

Just a quick question, when you say it takes a while for the drug to leave your system, how long does it take, I stopped taking it 3 weeks ago?

Did you read that it takes a while or is that based on your experience?

Thanks

• Posted

The doctors tell you that it takes a fortnight but as with everything, that is an average & I know from experience & from talking to other people, that it can take longer than that.

• Posted

If you search for 'Terbinafine biological half-life' you will find it ranges from 200 - 400 hours.

I felt unwell while taking Lamisil tablets and swore myself never to take this medication again.

Some time after the course of Lamisil the nail fungus reoccurred in one of my toe nails and I managed to get rid of it by applying an occlusive bandage with Lamisil cream every night.

I had no side effects when applying Lamisil locally but this method might be inconvenient if several nails are affected.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.