Terbinoplasty on the NHS, does anyone know roughly the recovery time

Posted , 3 users are following.

My ENT consultant has put me forward for Terbinoplasty to help breathing problems as I have a slim nose and the terbinates in my nose a pretty big, therefore causing years of breathing problems and may well be linked with my sleeping problems too.

I find out the date of the operation tomorrow but I'm wondering about the recovery time i.e. time off work.

I generally lift heavy boxes, up and down on shelves with step ladders and customer service based job too.

I also have physio on my neck for neck vertabrae problems which gives me sickness and big headaches most of the day as I do the exercises.

So surgery on my nose plus the neck problems and what it causes, might lead me to be feeling horrible for a while.

In different online NHS districts info I have seen conflicting NHS advice about time off for this operation from 2-7 days to at least 2 weeks, so does anyone know the general length of time to be off work that would be advised for this surgery?

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am assuming you have already tried every non-surgical method to reduce your tissue swelling. Consider reading up on ENS so you know some risks.

• Posted

Yes, I'vr tried many other options over 8 years and there's never been a change.

I know the risks and such of the surgery and I feel that surgery would be the next option because nothing else has worked.

• Posted

I have had Nasal Polypectomy four times and the last time the surgeon also shaved back my turbinates which has definitely helped with my breathing in one nostril, the other side I think probably needs a bit more shaved off. I'm lining up for my fifth polypectomy so will hopefully have it done then. It is a radical resort but in cases of severely interupted breathing, it is a blessing.

I 've normally been off for about six weeks following nasal surgery as you have to be sure the lining of the nose has healed and all bleeding has ceased. 

Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.