Terrible cramps 10 days in?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys,

I started Sertraline 50mg 12 days ago and on day 7 i increased my dosage to 100mg as advised by my doctor. Day 10 I started getting terrible cramps and I've lost my appetite and got terrible nausea. Day 12 today and still feeling bloated and horrible. Could it be the meds or do you think it's a coincidence and I have some sort of stomach bug? Not sure if it's worth mentioning to my doctor. I don't really want to increase dosage tho as I know it's early days but I do feel it's doing something for me.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I meant to say I don't really want to **decrease** my dosage

• Posted

I would check with my physician
    • Posted

I tried phoning for a consultation with my doctor and no appointments until 9th December. I'm wondering if it's worth contacting a local pharmacist for advice or would they just refer me on to ask a doctor.

• Posted

Hi

i just started 50mg sertraline 6 days ago and stopped taking it after 2 days because the side effects were so bad - no appetite, nausea, sleeplessness (no sleep at all or one hr at night), agitation, shaking, chills, teeth grinding, jaw clenching affecting speech, the list goes on. I started them again yesterday after visiting GP who gave me diazepam 2mg to deal with the agitation. It did help but still only 1 hour sleep, was hoping for more. I am sticking with the tablets because once the side effects disappear the beneficial effects are great but it is very hard and at times desperate.

I would say the side efffects you're experiencing are down to the ends but they should disappear.

good luck

• Posted

Hey, thanks. I tried phoning my doctor for advice this morning but earliest time I can get a phone consultation or an appt is the 9th of December. I'm thinking of reducing back to 50mg and see how it goes. I'm off sick from work again because of this, I only went back to work last week after two weeks off due to anxiety and this is unlike me as I'm never off. Good luck with restarting them I hope you feel better and can sleep soon.

• Posted

Hi, I started on 50mg last Wednesday and within the hour had to run to the toilet😕😕 Ive had no appetite what so ever since, even if I feel hungry I sit down to eat but can't stomach it, or if I manage a piece of toast it goes straight through me, and the stomach cramps are real bad, seems I'm not alone and neither are you, here's hoping this passes ASAP! !

• Posted

Hi EJ and everyone ?

I've been on 50mg Sertraline now for Twelve weeks, the First Two weeks or so I had the side effects though bearable. The symptoms I had were similar to those posted here, loss of appetite, Sweating bouts and hot flushes, and a weird vibration from head, through to my feet. These symptoms soon passed, and I started to feel myself Four weeks in with no increase of dosage. However, on my Eighth week I went along to the GP, to see how I was fairing on Sertraline. He asked if I had any dark thoughts like self harming or even suicide, (which apparently is more common in Teenagers) I said I hadn't and that I fwlt more myself each passing day. As I've said I'm Twelve weeks in, and I've noticed my focus is a litttle off, my vision blurry and my absent mindedness has gone up Three levels. So unbeknown to my Gp, I've been taking my Medication every othet day and not daily, and I've noticed I sleep better and more alert. It is known that with any antidepressants it's best to drink olenty of fluids. I have just over Two weeks supply left so I'm going to ween myself off of them, just to make you aware, you can take paracetamol with Sertraline, but NOT Iprobrufen, nor eat or drink Grapefruit. I am surprised your dosage has increased so early into Sertraline as the affects take a good four to SIx weeks to there wonders.

• Posted

Sorry for my poor Typo.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.