terrified of dying of heart disease

Posted , 4 users are following.

Heya im terrified tight now i have been having varying types of chest pain for nearly two years, aching, shooting, sharp dull, its central chest sometimes throughout can last for days, weeks, sometimes affected by strong emotions, physical activity lifting things etc, i have been back and for To a and e and doctors had countless normal ecgs, chest xrays and havehad a satisfactory echo cardiogram in october i have been to acardiologist who performed an ecg and a physical exam and said he couldnt find nething Byjust examining me. The pain is constant and now goes down my arm in the front of myshoulder by my collar bone and into my jaw. The doctors hav said muscular, indigestion, and anxiety. I am scared im going to drop down dead please help is this cardiac, does it sound like cardiac or anxiety, ivehad paramedics check me butby the time they get here The pain has virtually gone i dont know what to do no one is taking me seriously. The pain is excruciating is there anyone oufthere feeling the same things

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Sam

There will most certainly be people out there experiencing the same things. I include myself, though it stopped a while ago.

Had it not been for your detailed account of the various checks and examinations you have had, and assuming this information is up-to-date, I would have had no hesitation in urging you to obtain medical help as a matter of urgency, since with those symptoms, the fear you have cannot be ruled out.

However, having be thoroughly examined over what appears to be a period of time and on several occasions without any positive result, then the signpost almost certainly has acute anxiety written all over it.

Do not underestimate the power of intense anxiety. It triggers the brain into releasing a cocktail of hormones and chemicals into your bloodstream that in severe cases give you the actual physical feelings you describe. People that suffer from regular panic attacks often say the only way to describe it was that they 'felt like they were dying'.

If you have any new or previously undiagnosed symptoms, then it is always wise to have them checked out. Otherwise, it seems you have an emotional issue and that is probably the direction you need to take in order to get help.

The doctors are testing your body, but it's quite possible they are looking in the wrong place. Someone needs to look at what's going on in your head.

I hope this helps.

My best wishes to you.

• Posted

I gave you pretty sound advise over private message 3 days ago as your previous thread was deleted and you didn't even bother to respond despite it stating it's been read I seriously doubt you even bothered! Everything there gives you indepth insight behind physcial examinations and medical assessments etc. the limitations and challenges health care providers encounter.. like Rainboy says don't take comfort or normalize your symptoms with other patients as symptoms are fairly varied and non specific and could be attritbuted to any number of causes from the most trival to the most serious.. you lack confidence and trust in your doctor which is understandable as they rarely keep patient's informed or provide a summary of everything they've assessed or ruled out so re-read my private message to gain insight and understanding of how generalist physcian's assess, examine, and treat patient then come to your own conclusion
  • Posted

Hi, sorry to hear about how unwell you feel, since I had a virus in January have had chest pains, constant pressure in centre of chest which then radiates across into right shoulder blade, it is sort of a raw feeling and makes me want to cough as if sore all down windpipe, I did have a chest infection back in February. Now as I type it feels worse behind top of left breast. 3 ecg's came back normal and as I have GERD gp said it was that and palpitations are becausee I am 55 and menopausal. Like you the pain is constant for most of the day can last a week and then goes. I did ask GP for endoscopy to check for oseophogeul cancer but she said no as I did not have the other symptoms although I can sometimes feel food getting stuck and pain in sternum area. Had FBC which all came back normal, but the constant need to cough to clear the tickle is annoying. Going to go back to GP this week as not been for 3 weeks as had started to go but now back again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.