Terrified of having a Cystoscope test

Posted , 3 users are following.

My name is Michelle. I have symptoms to Interstetial Cystitis on off pain and pressure in my clitoris or urethra. It's been chronic for about twenty years but the last ten years no pain discomfort. I've seen a few Urologist that push for the Cystoscope test. I fear having the test, I once had a catheter and it was painful I can only imagine what a scope feels like going through the urethra to the bladder. Any advise? Personal experiences awake and can they do the test twilight sleep or complete sedation. SOS

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

Most people tolerate a cystoscopy very well with local. But "yes" they should be able to offer a short acting anathesia to put you out if you ask.

Depending on the setup, that would be done either in the hospital as an out patient, or in your doctor's office.

The important thing is that you do not keep delaying your cystoscopy. So if being put to sleep is the only way you will do it, then ask to be put to sleep.

Jim

• Posted

Depending on whether   you have a flexible or a rigid cystoscopy you will either have a local anesthetic or a general anesthetic , in either case there is no need to be worried . I have had both and found the procedure to be painless , slight discomfort during and after , mild pain relief solve the problem . Don't worry , have the test and hopefully a solution to your problem will be found , and improve your life .

• Posted

If you are having a flexible Cystosopy a local anaesthic will be fine and you should feel no pain , slight discomfort maybe . If it is a Rigid cystocopy a general is usually given . I have had both and each time it was painless , and as a male the scope has further to travel . Don't worry that is the worst thing to do , try to relax and hope for a soloution to your problem .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.