Testicular UltraSound

Posted , 3 users are following.

Finally got around to going to the GP re the small lump on my left testicle. First noticed just under a year ago and was the size of a grain of sand. It's since grown to maybe the size of a pin head or slightly larger. Still only noticeable when my scrotum is relaxed (ie after a shower etc). Dr referred me to an ultrasound so I am booked in to have that done. Anyone able to give details on the ultrasound procedure? I'm guessing the chances of having a male conduct the ultra sound would be quite slim as I'm guessing most of the staff would be female.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Ultra sound is quick, easy, painless and slippery procedure.

They'll apply plenty of conductive gel to the area and then they'll slide the equipment over the gel...really is that easy.

The scanner will be sat on a chair / stool next to you and you should be able to see everything. I found it very surreal & fascinating seeing inside my scrotum.

The gel is a pain in the neck though and no matter how much towel you use post procedure it still feels yuck until you can grab a bath / shower.

You should find there'll be male staff on plus you could always contact the department and s all fire a male

Hope all goes well for you

• Posted

Pleased to read you've seen the GP and are going to be looked at Michael, best of luck with it.

PVP has pretty much covered the ultrasound, especially the gel, lol. It's a very relaxed procedure and done in a very proffesional manner. All my normal scans were done by female staff and they couldn't be more respectful to how it's a bit of an odd situation for us blokes!

The dopler scans I had were done by a male urologist consulatant and handled equally respectfully. I'd even go as far to say that all the scans were actually quite a humorous experience.

One thing I would add is that you can request a chaperone to be there when your scan is done. So you could have a male chaperone with a female scanner for example, what ever makes you comfortable.

Best bet is to contact the unit and discuss it with them to tailor your scan to you, it might delay the scan time/date if you 'break from the norm' but I'd be surprised if that was the case.

Hope it all goes ok,

Paul

• Posted

Got moved forward to today and had it done.

There was seriously nothing to worry about. Had a female perform the scan I don't think they had any male staff. But it didn't feel awkward at all. Was done in about 20mins. I was laying down and couldn't see the monitor. Now to wait for the reports to go across to Dr and for his follow up.

Thanks for the advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.