Testosterone supplements

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm putting this in schizophrenia category as I am a schizophrenic and am well aware that the drugs you go on for it are desensitizing and also put on weight and I wondered if anyone had tried a testosterone supplement to alleviate both conditions?

I have just started a course and yet to be able to assess for results but it is, testosterone, said to help you lose weight and also assist with libedo related problems, and sometimes is prescribed for women past the menapause with this type of issue.

I am running it by my doctor next Friday and will keep you posted on what he has to say about it and any results I get, it is of course, early days yet.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Interesting! I have tried everything to lose weight associated with the medicines. Please keep us posted!
    • Posted

Hi Jan, I certainly will, I figure it could take about a month to see any improvement but I'll update you on what my doc says about it next Friday x

• Posted

"It has also been seen that excess androgens (male sex hormones, like testosterone) can lead to psychosis." Be very careful because the neuroleptics that are used to shut down dopamine may stop working partially or completely if testosterone is added. Good luck.

• Posted

From what I read online it is a "grey area" but opinions are conflicting, I'll see what my doctor says next week.

• Posted

Scrap that, I have gotten cold feet after reading about the association with testosterone and psychosis, so instead, am trying out a relatively new supplement to the weight loss market called meratrim, and it is said to have high results, and no known side effects, I didn't buy from amazon however as found it cheaper on another website, but what I am going to do about the other burning question, my low libedo, is anyones guess lol x

• Posted

i have asked and received permission to be put on low dose topomax along with my other meds to help lose weight. at high doses you will get a brain fog, ( thus the nick name stupimax) but everyone who gets on it loses weight. it just falls off. you have a slight metallic taste in your  mouth, and you just are not hungry...    i lost 15 lbs in about 2 months not even trying. it is an antiseizure drug, given for headaches and sometimes bipolar disorder. the weight loss is just a benefit. fda just approved it for weight loss.
    • Posted

Hi S'S, this looks interesting so I have also googled and what you say would appear to be correct and very helpful, thank you. I have an appt with my doctor 2nd Nov to discuss it, and see if he would be prepared to put me on it as Co incidentally I do actually get migraines as well as being slightly obese, thanks and if you like I'll keep you posted on the outcome. Best wishes, Fiona

• Posted

yes, please keep me posted. let me tell you a few more things.  you start out slow, about 25 miligrams and then go up 25 miligrams each time. there are some people that have taken this drug for YEARS that swear by it, for migraines, agitation, and also bipolar. and now it is approved for weight loss. i did once get up to 200 mg. i felt really good. my mind was very sharp.... i knew what i was doing, saying etc. but, i would be talking and search for a word and i could see the word above and i just could not grab it!!!!     but i was not dumb, i would just have a loss of a word now and then. i have since read that if you stay with this drug those side effects do go away. so my doctor gives me up to 100 mg. and i take 50 everyday. sometimes i go to 75. but the first time i feel like i have brain fog, i will pull it back down to 50.  i have been doing this for about a year. and now at 75, i do not experience the word loss. ( i call this stupimax)  you have to watch yourself if you get up into the 100 mg because you will just NOT eat anything. seriously. You have to make yourself eat some small snacks or you will deplete yourself of nutrients. i did this and went in for a blood check and i was low on iron, d, b, zinc everything. just because i was not eating. so now i take a multi vitamin, a really good one, and just remind myself to eat an apple even if i am not hungry. there are people that have lost hundreds of pounds. i lost 30!  the other thing is that i has helped me be a bit calmer, not so agitated. So, this is just my experience. You know we are all different and doctors don't even all know everything. But I'll bet he will prescibe it for you because it is a very harmless drug.my cholestrol and triglicerides went down etc. once i went up in mg too fast and got a bit dizzy. but that went away quickly, i just listened to my body and slowed it down a bit. Good luck to you. It is terrible how these meds make us gain weight,. my doc is giving it to me strickly to counter act the weight gain that my other meds give me. 

• Posted

I've had some further thoughts on this and discovered there is high risk of kidney stones, and I'm a complete coward over pain, particularly strong pain as I hear its worse than childbirth and also I have glucoma in the family and thats another risk, so I decided against even discussing it with my doctor however I have found meratrim which I've just started, its said to be a strong weight loss drug but no known side effects so a lot safer and I'm happy on that really.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.