Testosterone Treatment, Fertility and Micro-TESE for XXY

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello All,

I was wondering if there is a way of preserving whatever little spermatogenesis is left in the testes while injecting testosterone? Will HCG and FSH, when used together with testosterone, help prevent the effect of exogenous T on spermatogenesis? 

Was recently diagnosed with KS, but am scared of injecting Testosterone for reasons states above. I have a full beard, average height (5'9'' ). I do have noticeable gynecomastia (big ones), FSH-25, LH 11, T-282. Am currently not on any medication.

Also, I will like to know if any XXY guys on this forum have attempted Micro-TESE and ICSI with their partners. If yes, was it successful?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

For someone who has only recently been diagnosed, you have a lot of information many who've been diagnosed for years wouplodn't have.  So what's the truth, are you recently diagnosed or long time diagnosed?  
    • Posted

Hi, I was recently diagnosed three weeks ago, few days before my 30th birthday. I was so worried and I ended up googling and reading almost every article on the web about KS. I also read research work and scientific articles on KS. I did all of this within 3 weeks. 
    • Posted

Oh right, super fast catching up.  When I was diagnosed there was no internet, no support groups, no information other than the trickle the doctors nurses allwed out, reluctantly.

My understanding is, the bigger your balls are the more likely they'll have some sperm production.  XXY's can have development up to 12 mls volume, for a time, but for most pretty soon after the onset of puberty they atrophy.  So the sooner you can get biopsy to test for sperm the better.

• Posted

My husband was diagnosed about 5 years ago and has been on exogenous T off and on since. He abstained from injections for approximately six months, started clomid for one month and then had a micro-TESE with the intent to freeze sperm for future ICSI

the procedure was not successful, and his urologist said that the testes appeared to have 'been through a lot'.  He strongly advised against a second procedure since the chance of success during repeat is at best about 18%, if I recall.

If you have the means and ability to do so I would suggest looking into whether micro-TESE and freezing before you do any T therapy would work for you.

For what it's worth, The recovery from the micro-TESE did go pretty smoothly, even though his procedure ended up being more invasive and long lasting due to the condition of his tissue.

hope that helps, and good luck!

• Posted

TESE looks pretty painful.  Even if it was invented when I was first diagnosed I doubt I'd have had any sperm to find.  

Is your husband still havign testosterone on and off? 

• Posted

He's back on regular weekly T injections now that we've been told we'll need to adopt or use donor sperm.

We've done some reading about stem cell treatments that are still in early stages of research, but they were for general azoospermia not xxy. If that works out there may be new treatment options in 10+ years, but that's a long time to wait when we're already in our 30s.

• Posted

Sperm donors are good.  I have 2 children by donor. My daughter lives with me, she's 18 this year.  My son is globally impaired, nothing to do with the donor as there's that type of disability in the mothers' family so we assume she provided the dud genes.

And my daughter knows she by donor sperm, I don't keep secrets from her.  So she knows I'm XXY too.  Sometimes her friends are amazed that she knows, and she has no problems with the arrangement.  She has met the donor, I haven't. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.