Thanks, I am taking amitriptyline and found that I had a...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Thanks, I am taking amitriptyline and found that I had a burning I my throat after reading the comments on the website, I now have no problems taking the tablet. :D :D

[i:7487d7a902]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7487d7a902]

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I started taking Amitriptyline about 4months ago.I had tried fluoxitine amongst others,but I can honestly say Amitriptyline has helped the most.I am currently on 100mg daily,and now I always go to bed&wake up with a smile. :lol:
  • Posted

I have been taking Amitriptyline at night since March 2008, (together with Gabapentin and Tramadol during the day) for severe nerve pain in my leg, the result of damaged nerves caused during a complete hip replacement operation in January. I have found the medication very beneficial and a Godsend at night when I was unable to sleep due to the severe nerve pain I was experiencing. It also helped stop my 'night time visits to the bathroom' (I am in my late 60's and bathroom visits can sometimes be 2 or 3 times a night). Even for that alone I am grateful.

I have been taking the Amitriptyline for around 8 months and I have now managed to take myself off the medication almost overnight without any unpleasant side effects. :D

• Posted

Hi all,

I have been given Amitriptyline for use 'as and when needed' (1 or 2 25mg tabs) to help me sleep (it can be apparently used to aid overcoming insomnia). I was on sleeping tablets and Diazepam but they can't prescribe them for longer than a few weeks because of addictiveness.

Although I don't feel 'drowsy' (in a conventional sense) on Amitriptyline.. it knocks me out like being hit over the head with a very large mallet. The next day I am left feeling 'heavy' and utterly lazy (although I'm not complaining!)

It is pretty damn groovy for it's off-label use to treat insomnia!

Ps. I'm taking Citalopram 40mg for depression and Beta-Blockers 80mg for anxiety (fast-heart). It seems to be okay with both, despite cautions on Amitriptyline info leaflet.

• Posted

I read that is not good to take Tramadol with Amitriptyline. But you are and I guess its o.k.? if your doc persrcibed it to you! I was wondering if that would help me also. Im going to ask my doctor. 
  • Posted

I'm taking 150mg at night, and yes, I agree, it does feel like I've been hit over the head! I too am not complaining, having had early-morning waking due to depression for the past year. I switched from venlafaxine and trazodone to amitriptyline a few weeks ago when I was in hospital. During the change-over, they also gave me zopiclone - so one night I was given 50mg amitrip and 15mg zopiclone - the next day I just couldn't stay awake, it was such a bizarre feeling! So far so good on amitrip, though time will tell.
  • Posted

everyones different,but a lot of people i no who have been on amitriptyline have experienced very bad leg spasms or jerking of the arms and/or legs. i have also known them hallucinate on high doses and these can be quite scary so if u have any unfamiliar feelings see your gp at once.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.