The doctor won't help me

Posted , 11 users are following.

I went to see the GP because I'm sick of how anxious I am. I have nearly failed college because I have missed days where the thought of coming in gives me panic attacks. I get panic attacks in social situations and have never had a boyfriend because of this ( I am 18). I also self harm and it took a lot but I told the doctor that. But all i got was that I'm not serious enough to need help from the doctors and they just dismissed me. I feel like no one cares about me and now even the doctors don't care about me. Honestly I don't want to live anymore, I don't see my life getting better in the long run anyway.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

is there another GP at your practice you could see? If no you can change practice, not all GPs are the same, some can be very understanding. I had a similar problem at mine, but since i moved home and changed practice i have found out what a good doctor is really like
  • Posted

The reason why your GP isnt helping you is probably because he/she knows that anxiety will cause you no harm whatsoever. However it is a horrible experience to go through for which you need some information and support. AS others say, go to another GP. Anxiety is a very common problem. 2/3rds of people who see a GP suffer from anxiety or depression so I guess they get a bit weary of it. You are certainly not alone, thousands of people suffer from it, as you do. Practically everybody gets stressed in social situations so you are not unusual in that. It's just that you have become over-vigilant about the effects of anxiety on your body ie. sweating, rapid pulse, anxious thoughts etc. These are just the effects of adrenaline on your body, a natural response to stress. There is nothing wrong with you (apart from feeling anxious) but it sounds like you do need some support. Be kind to yourself. You are going through a hard time but you are not going mad (although it feels like that sometimes) and you are not going to die (ditto). Exercise helps, as much as possible, and try,as best you can, to occupy your mind with something else. Dont just sit and think about your problrms all the time because that makes it feel worse. Dont think, do. It doesn't matter what. Get out of your head and into your body. This will pass and you will be OK. Then you will have the rest of your life to enjoy. Dont beat yourself up for being this way. It is very normal and human to suffer this way. Most people will suffer something like this in thieir life at some time but it will pass. be kind to yourself and dont believe the rubbish thoughts in your head. They are not true.
    • Posted

Actually, Constant anxiety and panic attacks can lead to heart complications as well as shorter lifespans, so yes. Anxiety CAN hurt you.
  • Posted

My answer to this is see another doctor.  I cannot believe that a doctor dismissed you when you told them you were self harming.  That doctor obviously was completely unsympathetic.  I Find another in the same practise.  I am sure they are not all like that.  If you also said you were suffering from anxiety, why did doctor say your problem was not serious?  Was no help offered at all?

Please don't say you don't want to live anymore.  You are so young.  Please confide in your parents or another relative and ask them to go to the doctors with you.  I am sure you do not have to suffer this alone.  Of course your life will get better, you are just feeling very "down" at the moment.

I urge you not to give up, and make an appointment with another doctor as soon as you can.  You must get sympathetic help.  Bless you, and we here are all worried about you.  Please take our advice.  We all care about each other here.

• Posted

Hi Lexi I can relate to you since I'm 23 years old and even at my age the doctors don't take my anxiety or illness serious. I go and they say you're fine it's just anxiety or stress. I would recommend you try a different doctor. Often we don't see our life getting better but truth is it will. Don't feel alone this page has a lot of kind people willing to help or just listen. Don't ever feel alone although I can not be around in presence feel free to message me any time. And as the self harm goes I would say to try and go to therapy you should never feel the need to do so but I understand it might be out of your control. Try and think more positive. Cyber hugs! Life gets bettersmile
  • Posted

Ask a parent or if your up to it contact the practice manager and tell him/her your experience with this Dr as this "so called" Dr is not giving you the duty of care you need. 

You don't have to if you don't want to but you deserve all the care you need especially if you are self harming. 

Akternatively go direct to your A&E and tell hem you are self harming and need help but your Dr has dismissed you.

This should not be allowed to happen.

You need quality care, the right medication and talking therapy all of which should be made available straight away.

N

• Posted

If the doctor wont help then I will.Buy NON FLUSH NIACIN from the healthstore ASAP

Take 500mg 4 times a day You will feel better This is vitamin B3 Google it and you will see how amazing this is I bought a good make and I am blown away with the relief and delight I cant believe a vitamin can make  such a difference

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.