The Dreaded Constipation

Posted , 10 users are following.

Well we all talk about it and suffer with it especially after copious amounts of codeine.

So after swallowing Lactalose and Prune Juice to no avail I have discovered Slimma teabags available from Holland& Barrett in the UK. Give them a go they have a pleasant taste and they work  - yippe!!! To any newbies joining this is one of the most common complaints that we have.

3 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Pinapple juice, pinapple in tins, or fresh also works well xx
  • Posted

We've been picking the passionflower fruit now ripening on trellises and fences

Just eat the seeds inside the pods, they are sweet, very nutritious and extremely good for constipation.

• Posted

Traditional Medicinals Smooth Monday evening tea works great.
  • Posted

So sorry, my phone puts in wrong words. Smooth Move is the name of the tea!
  • Posted

Wow - great discussion and array of tips.

Thank you and best wishes for a smooth and balanced recovery.

L

• Posted

Hi Polly,

Stool softener Dulcoease and plenty of fruit eg nectarine, pear.grape strawberries worked for me.Also veg with main meal especially cabbage.

Good luck with this

Janet x

• Posted

I too had constipation but then followed by diarrhoea, doc said could be due to iboprufin  which was replaced with paracetamol, then was told the iron tabs can work either way. Sounds like we will all get an assortment of different things happening, but with this wonderful site we all know we are not alone and somewhere along the line the answer to our problems will appear. Feel like I am among friends. 
  • Posted

Lots and lots of veg of all kinds,easy on the meat and dairy!!

I am in Norrth Cyprus at the moment,trying to get strong for my up-coming THR on 29th Sep.

Unbelievably good veg is in short supply here during this hottest month.

Having adjusted my diet at home with excellent results,I find that the lack of veggies here has started to cause me constipation,and I have not even had my op yet!

I am a bit worried about the re-hab home I will go to after my op as I may not get the diet I need for best bowel performance,given that pain control may have its effect also.

At home I eat loads of spinach,broccoli,cabbage,sweet potato,anything that is available. I  make Leak & potato soup,and Butternut squash soup.

It all helps.

Hope this is useful.

All the best to everyone

Joy x

• Posted

Just be sure that you are getting enough protein to support healing of the bones and muscles.

😊. I know .... too much to balance, but my surgeon and physio both emphasized the need for protein rich diet.

Cheers,

Good luck

L

• Posted

God luck on your up coming op. Re the constipation. I was given iron tabs which we know causes it, but after a few days I had diarrhoea which I was told can go one way if the other also iboprufin can also cause diarrhoea. Don't worry they will sort it. I'm 2 weeks post op, 80 years old, and have had minimal discomfort rather than pain. Walking indoors with one stick find.

• Posted

I replaced co codomol with paracetamol... Same pain relief, no constipation !

Paracetamol is very user rated

• Posted

Not user... Under!!!
  • Posted

Well l am 8 days post op this time for my knee as l have done the 2 hips and l was 6 days after 1st hip and 7 after 2nd and l thought with getting your knee it might be more easy but no exactly same it was 6 days much to my releif afterwards. . I just used senna and movical all times and fresh orange juice.

Laura

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.