The Great Frozen Shoulder Adventures Continue! This Chapter:X-ray guided Cortisone Joint Injections

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies, hope you are all managing today.  I bring news of cortisone joint injections..at least my experience. I had a cortisone injection under anesthesia on March 7 (back of shoulder). Then doc scheduled me for a 2nd identical procedure for a few weeks later for March 21.

March 7: Noticed no difference in the shoulder after the first injection. I am a Diabetic, no change in my well controlled blood sugar. 

March 21: I really haven't noticed much pain relief to be honest. Also, I had an allergic reaction to something in the injection or procedure.

March 21 procedure was in the morning, around 7pm (after a 5pm dinner) my heart began racing, checked my blood sugar and it was elevated to 170, heart pounded harder and harder, pins and needles in hands and feet, weird wave up my body (like niacin). Husband took me to ER. After a five hour adventure and tons of fluids, the doc speculated that I was possibly allergic to something in the injection (Iodine or dye in the contrast material they injected or some preservative in one of the materials injected). Thank goodness that hasn't happened again, but now my glucose is very high and it will not come down, even with extra insulin and frankly I feel awful from it all still. It should come down soon, I hope!

Anyone else ever have a similar reaction? I did find a few people online who had a similar reaction to either the contrast dye in imaging or benziol alchohol (I think.)

Hope you are all having a better week!!!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had a similar reaction to cortico steroid injections in my knees which is why I have refused an injection in my shoulder. I'm diabetic too and my sugar became quite high 48 but I suffered anaphylactic shock which has resulted in me carrying an epipen in case I e ear get 'triggered' again.

i was told it was probably the anaesthetic in the injection, but I firmly believe it the prednisolone which is synthetic I think.

either way it's put me off for life, and the pain just gets worse and worse.

Good luck I hope you feel better soon .

• Posted

Oh my gosh Mincub, that sounds so scary! Anaphylactic shock, geez! Thank you for sharing that with me.

I'm very well controlled  Diabetic and glucose will NOT come down, I even added a few shots of Novalog and just won's come down from around 300 or upper 200's.  After all my hard work trying to balance blood sugar through this FS pain the past few months, my A1c is shot.   No pun intended. :-0

I'm with you, I'm off cortizone injections for life too. Thank you for your well wishes and I hope you feel better very soon too. 

• Posted

My cortizone injections were somewhat helpful but temporary.  The doctor was a former football quarterback from a Division I NCAA school and he said all of his male patients respond better with cortizone followed by four day a week hard workouts with physical therapists.

I took his advice and it with the big strong P.T. lady enduring my football player deep and loud hollering and screaming, she was able to help to break up and stretch out the "frozen adhesions".

I met another non-diabetic guy roughly fifty who also did okay with cortizone and P.T. workouts.

Cortizone seems to work equally well on men and women sufferers of Frozen Shoulder provided they utilize and work hard in Physical Therapy after the injections.

Best to all my fellow Frozen Shoulder suffering posters!

Bobby in U.S.A.

• Posted

I just had a very bad nerve pain(irritated) and couldn't lift my arm up. Pretty weak. I tried call doctors office and they said the nurse will call me. She never call me during the day. I was trying to see if I can get an appt earlier to see my doctor. I guess they don't care about me. 😞
    • Posted

Hi Debbie,

How are you doing?? I am so sorry you're feeling so bad. My doctors have done the same to me. Not cool, especially when you feeling awful and I don't know about you,but feeling awful makes me sensitive.

Sounds silly, but have you tried an ice pack?

• Posted

Hi Jenn, I mentioned your post to my husband, he too is diabetic. He was not that surprised by the reaction you had.He told me to ask you, are you on Metformin and, if so did your GP  (or anyone) tell you to stop taking it a few days before your treatment?

A while back he had an angiogram(?) test which involved an injection of dye. The Cardio people told him to stop taking Metformin for several days before AND after the scan as it can have a nasty reaction with the dye/test.

His own GP was ignorant of this fact. But it is well known in cardio circles.rolleyes

• Posted

Thank you for the reply... Oh yes, been on Metformin for 20 years or so, NO, ONE told me to stop Metformin!!!!!

The ER Doctor wasn't sure what casues it exactly. My follow up with my General Practitioner MD, said the reaction was because I hadn't eaten! When I became upset, she looked into it further and said it was the contrast material/dye..... How obnoxious!

Please thank your husband... I am horrified at the lack of knowledge treating some patients and especially Diabetics... I am speechless.

• Posted

Jenn- I use insulin for years after I took oral pills that give bad side effects. I had a reaction to dye for my cardio test. Wow!
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, 

You had a rection from the contrast dye? That must have been scarry, especially considering they were giving you a cardio test!  Boy, we have to research everthing ourselves before medical procidures, don't we. 

Yes, I take Metformin too. I'm sorry others have experienced a reaction, but am SOOO gald we all communicate with each other on this site.  Thank you!!!

• Posted

Following. My doctor booked me for a guided cortisone shot for 'pain management' when I was still having pain in January, but the earliest appointment is not until the middle of May. I have since "frozen" so I'm undecided if I should go ahead and have the shot. 

I don't have pain anymore, but if the guided cortisone would help with ROM I would glady do it. Any guesses?

• Posted

you are asking the wrong person. Lol

I won't be having another Cortizone shot. I don't care where the reaction came from..

Maybe someone else has advice. At least your pain has subsided. Congratulations on that part!

• Posted

Lol, Jenn! You're right - and I'm sure with you on your not having another shot!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.