The Gym

Posted , 3 users are following.

I never understood the concept when my Doctor told me that exercise would be good for Fibromyalgia.

I figured any MORE strain on my muscles would no doubt cause more pain, buring and ache.

Well, since pain medication has not been working and there is so much research on Fibro and exercise..and all the research says exercise helps Fibro...I joined a GYM to give it a try.

I have only been to the gym 2x....I am doing low weight lifting on low resitance equipment (machines vs. lifting free weights).

I went yesterday...and i did not have the same burning, aching pain in my shoulders and hips last night....and this morning I do not have those symptoms.

I believe exercise is really going to help my symptoms and I wanted to share this in case there are other "doubters" out there.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I totally agree with u misssy2. Ive been going to the gym again and it depends on what u do there i find it stretches u and tones the muscules that r weak.

Most people think u have to go to the gym to look like a weiggt lifter (not the case)

Try it everyone u will b surprised on how many people r there with health problems.

• Posted

Yes, so I WANTED to do 30 reps of every machine.

Some muscles are sore at the start and become like they hurt really bad during the workout...so I reduce the reps on those to 15 - 20 - 25..whatever is comfortable.

I really think that building the muscles up helps the pain and mobility.

I REALLY did get off the couch this am. after sitting for 1/2 hour without being in pain....and I somewhat...bounced off the couch instead of the slow crawl.

• Posted

Couldnt agree more Misssy - exercise is absolutely essential for fibro sufferers.  The big problem is that when our muscles are hurting or we feel so exhausted its even an effort to stay upright, its too easy to think oh I cant do it.......

I wouldnt have the physical ability for gym work because I also have osteo arthritis but I go swimming - on bad days I dont overdo it and on 'good' days I'll do extra lengths etc.  It's all a question of doing only what you can but as you've quite rightly pointed out, doing at least some exercise is really beneficial.  Exercise not only helps reduce muscle pain but also reduces fatigue and stimulates endorphins which helps with low mood etc.  Thanks for your post, I hope it helps to spread the word. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that WE feel so exhausted and it is an effort to stay upright...I have had many days of that...and I have become SICK of that feeling.

We have to force ourselves to do a little bit....walk or swim or low resistance weights....WE CAN NOT give in to being "weak"...the sympathy and the pity pot...because no one CARES as much as we do about feeling better.

I wallowed in the pain for too long (the last 2 years)....and just this week...I was like...ya know what....since there is so much research about this....and THEY are the professionals...and I AM NOT....I HAVE TO TRY.

I'm glad I did try as I am in a better mood and like I said my mobility has improved.

The first day I spent an hour at the gym...going really slow.

Yesterday, I was able to have a pretty fast pace on the machines.

Just walking into a gym or around the block or into a pool...lifts a persons mood and self esteem that we are DOING something about this.

• Posted

you are absolutely right MIsssy.  So happy for you that it's helping.  Here's hoping others will be inspired by your positive results.  I really understand your coment about 'wallowing in pain' - I've done it, I'm sure many others have or are too.  I blamed my pain and exhaustion for me not doing anything much of anything except sitting around feeling sorry for myself.  Another person on another thread put it very well - they said 'fibro became my identity' - I realised I'd let it do that to me until I too, like you, listened to advice and actually got moving again.  It's hard, it's often uncomfortable, but I know for sure I am gaining benefit from it too.

Thank you for your update post - too many of us fibro sufferers only feedback the negatives.  xx

• Posted

I didn't realize I was "wallowing"...and I really thought I couldn't exercise...I thought it would be too painful.

Then I remembered...years ago..my Mom was diagnosed with Fibro and I read all about it...and I kept forcing her to go for short walks with me...she would "whine", "complain"...as I called it....lol....but she went....and she felt better.

So...I remembered that today after sitting on the couch for at least a year and a half!  And I MADE myself go to the gym...dragged myself in there....very sad mood...came out very proud.

Then I realized I had been "wallowing"

• Posted

Therein lies the crucial lesson - we think we cant but we can if only we try.  Well done you.
    • Posted

The problem is...and this may have to do with my personality disorder...now I want to respond to every post here and in the anxiety forum and say...

STOP feeling down and sorry for yourself...GET UP and EXERCISE.

• Posted

It may not be the answer for everyone...but you don't know if you don't try.

• Posted

just do it! If just one person listens and improves their life - you're a success!!

• Posted

LOL...well I kinda did it by starting this thread.

Honestly people....If I'm exercising....hope is possible!

• Posted

well now, your post did get me off my backside this week - I realised over the past few months I've been finding very good excuses not to go swimming - too busy at work, bad hurt day, no transport, no-one to help me in the changing room etc., pool too busy because of school holidays and so the list goes on.  This week I wrote down the 'excuse' and alongside I wrote down a way to get round it - amazing that none of the excuses was really valid - not a surprise!  So I've been three times at lunchtimes.  It did mean I had to work harder the rest of the day to get through my workload and I did have to get the bus one day and I was terribly tired and a little in pain immediately afterwards.  I worked round the getting dressed/undressed without help by just wearing a loose fitting dress and putting it on over my swimming costume then changing when I got home - 10 minutes in damp clothing is hardly life threatening.  I honestly feel like a light has been switched on in a dark tunnel.  I still hurt and I am really tired by it but my mood has lifted from the depths and I really do feel so much better - I also note I've lost a little weight off my waste as my clothes arent so tight - after just three sessions of gentle swimming - RESULT! There will be times when I really do have a reason that means I cant go but I won't ever let feeble excuses stop me from now on. 

• Posted

shoulda used spellcheck......that should read "waist" not "waste" *grin*

• Posted

Ha!  Its great....hard when working...I can't believe you actually did this...your amazing!

• Posted

I didn't even notice spelling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.