The implant

Posted , 3 users are following.

My daughter who is 22 has just had the implant fitted in her arm. She went into a walk in clinic as she is working away from home. She has always had a few spots now and again but since getting this in her face is terrible. She has spots all over her face and neck which she never has had before. I'm sure it's this she's had it in about 2 months now. The thing is her job is very much in the public eye and so is very upsetting for her. I had told her to get the coil fitted she said they talked her out of it saying it's too invasive !! She also needs to keep on top of her weight and have heard the implant is not good for this. Any advice please on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm 22 and had the implant in a few years ago, 8 put on 2 stone and demanded they take it out, I have to copper coil in now (although I had to try all other forms of hormone before they would agree to do it) . Insertion wasn't pleasant, but was nowhere near as bad as I expected ! The weight Is falling off now and I've not changed my diet at all

• Posted

Hi Diane.

im a mum and I'm 46.

ive had the Mirena coil fitted for years, I'm a slim size 10, I have not had any weight issues, and the coil has had no effect on me.

i did hurt inserting it. 

• Posted

They were reluctant to give her the coil saying she's too young.

• Posted

They did ask me to try others forms first but I was pretty certain and I told them I wasn't putting anymore hormones into my body and that I was already off my pill... I think the total lack of contraception worried them into doing as I asked, my coil only lasts five years as it's smaller and easier to insert in women who have not had children, maybe she could suggest that ?

• Posted

I have the copper coil so no hormones in it at all, it's the Nova T380

• Posted

Hi I've rang our doctor and she ha agreed to take it out and put in the copper coil in on Friday . Don't know a lot about it apart from no hormones in it and it can cause heavy periods have you had any problems with it. The doctor did not even query it and seemed very agreeable to the coil.

• Posted

None at all. They warn you about the worse case scenario of heavy and painful periods, i was on the pill for around 7 years so my periods were always going to be different, ive had 3 periods since i had my coil put in, i generally have one very heavy day (manageable) then 3 or 4 lighter days, I've had no pain at all, to be honest my cramps etc are better than when I was taking the pill !

• Posted

Thank you very much for that will see how she goes hopefully her spots won't be nowhere near as bad it's trial and error but you have eased my mind.

• Posted

Hugs to your daughter love.

Like I said I'm on the Mirena coil, and have done for 5 years.

hope all goes well for her?

keep me posted and u can even private message me if you feel the need to chat, 

from a mum of 3!' lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.