Hi guys

Am 3 weeks post op today and am wondering at what stage we

are allowed to sit on a normal size loo seat rather than, for me;

the leg dangling raised loo seat?

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I didn't think it should dangle - perhaps yours is too high?

12 weeks its the time I thought we should begin to return to normality - work, loo seat etc.

Graham

• Posted

They should make them heated! That would help a lot. I never found a good way to clean mine. Disposable Clorox wipes was all I could think of. 
    • Posted

What a good idea, heated loo seat !

And yes, cleaning it is not easy, wipes was the best we could come up with too.

Graham

p.s. when I said "I didn't think it should dangle", I meant to say "I didn't think your legs should dangle"

• Posted

"dangle" - nope that's not good. Dangling is bad. Don't be like Graham. Don't dangle. Don't let anything dangle. 
    • Posted

Law of gravity suggests us guys don't have much choice!
  • Posted

I think Graham has a great point. 

I actually prefer the new height - at 6'3" it suits me (if that is the correct term). I am thinking of buying one.

• Posted

Funny you should say that Michael, I'm only 5'4" and I'd never thought of this before but the raised seats must be so much easier if you are tall. My 25yo nephew is 6'7" ( however I would never discuss this with the poor lad!!)

Linnet x

• Posted

Do you have Home Health Physical therapist that comes to your house? It's them who will tell you to try "doing it" without the raised seat. If it's not painful, I don't know why you can't do it anytime. I was washing mine down with Clorox bleach in the kitchen when he walked in. He said "Good, excellent, you don't need that anymore" At first, I couldn't imagine not having it. Sitting and standing is good exercise for your muscles. I'd check with my doctor's office before you remove it if you haven't been told. Don't want you to lose your balance on your way up or down. When I got home, the 2nd day, the raised seat slipped off to the right and I slipped to the left and ended up on the floor. My incision started to bleed and I had to go back for x-rays and new bandage. I think it's like driving, if it's comfortable for you, then just do it. Sounds like your doing well and moving alone well. 
    • Posted

We don't get visits from any one. I have a 6 week check up with the surgeon which is when I hope to be allowed to sit down on a normal sized seat. It's not such a problem for me its just that my wife has to use the raised seat as well; which is starting to get to her a bit!
    • Posted

Your poor wife. Do you think a little "stool" might help? Did you get a seat where you remove the original one totally and then switch out the raised one?

I got one for my mom and it had handles which I thought were great. 

It was attached real secure. I had one that just sits over your regular seat with the top up. I slipped off of it on day 2 post op. I think I was "on drugs" 

• Posted

We got one that fits on top of a normal one. But cannot adjust it. It's great if you have long legs. I keep my wife topped up with

white wine which seems to help!

• Posted

Probably 12 weeks....I like mine, I'm 9 months today and will use it always. It helps my bad back too.
  • Posted

I gave up mine just before Xmas about 10 weeks post op. You can get lower raised loo seats.

Linnet x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.