The pain!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello! After reading through everyone's post's I wanted to share my own story. It all started 3 months ago with stomach pain and nausea. I thought I had the fly. Then next month the same thing stomach pain and nausea. Went to the ER this time and after checking out my gallbladder told me it was probably a stomach ulcer and sent me home with Nexium and Carafate. Then this month the same thing. So I got in with a GI doc and he did a endoscopy and found 2 stomach ulcers. He prescribed me protonix and pepcid and said to wait for the biopsy (which will take 2 weeks) to see if it's H Pylori or the Motrin I took that is causing my stomach ulcers. The pain was not getting better so today I went to a after hours clinic and they were nice enough to give me a lidocaine solution that I drink tor numb the stomach pain. The lidocaine is about the only medication that helps the awful burning stabbing pain! My doctor said to wait a week and I should start feeling better. It's very depressing because I have missed so much work and I have 2 small children at home who have not seen a lot of me because I'm always sick. Getting tired of bananas and rice but am afraid that anything else may hurt my stomach. How long until you felt better? Also my ulcer pain always flairs when I am on my peroid any one else?

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Probably the Motrin. My wife was given something similar when she had gout. Due to her previos history of ulcers she was given Nexium to take with it, A few days later she was in terrible pain. When she had an endoscopy she had a duodenal ulcer and 67 gastric ulcers.
    • Posted

67 gastric ulcers oh my goodness I only have 2 I guess I better count my blessings! I really hope it is the Motrin because it seems H Pylori is awful to deal with. Thank you for your reply I'm hope your wife is feeling better!

• Posted

I had the triple therapy and felt all right during it. However about six weeks later I began to get a lot of different severe stomach pains that lasted nearly a year. I had various medications prior to having a barium swallow and barium enema that did not find a reason for it. It did just gradually stop.

My GP says that H Pylori is seen much less nowadays and most tests are negative as my recent one was.

• Posted

I have been dealing with my ulcer pain for about 8months. Random stabbing jabs that left me so depressed and bed ridden. I was misdiagnosed so many times. Finally saw a GI dr and a month ago was put on a PPI and Carafate. Well I had horrible side effects from Prevacid so I had to stop. However I'm on week 4 of Carafate and have noticed a big difference in the pain. It's no longer stabbing pain frequently throughout the day and night. It's very minimal and dull if at all. im sure I'm far from healed yet but I feel hope now. I know how you feel about eating! I too was afraid to eat anything because honestly everything hurt when it all first started. I've lost over 30 lbs while going through this. I truly believe the Carafate is the best thing for me Atleast. It attached to the ulcer itself and acts as a protective layer and doesn't allow any further damage to occur while it heals. I still watch my diet and cut out coffee/soda things like that. But am starting to eat somewhat normal again! Also I have a 3 year old little girl so I relate totally to how you're feeling! I missed out on so much being Layed up in bed in misery. But Hang in there. This is horrible and takes time but you'll find what works for you!

• Posted

Oh wow 8 months! Yes I love the carafate. I really am just taking things one day at a time. I feel a bit better tonight but know that could all change by morning. I am just so over feeling like this. I'm glad to see I'm not a lone in this ulcer thing!

• Posted

Are you in Canada? The British prescribing manual BNF shows it to be imported from Canada.
    • Posted

I'm in the United States. Florida to be exact smile

• Posted

The husband of my cousin in Canada used to have all his surgery done when they were wintering in Naples FL.

We must be unlucky as each time we have been to Florida in January and February there was overnight frost, oranges were freezing on the trees, fish were dying in cold seas and chilled Iguanas were falling from the trees and a lot of rain,

• Posted

Day # 5 of treatment with a little bit of improvement but not much! The burning is still there a long with the nausea. I just hope I make it to work tomorrow because I dread how I feel in the morning. I am up in Michigan. Love it down there where you are in Florida.
    • Posted

I know what you mean. Seems like I never know how I'll feel when I wake up. I definitely didn't notice any difference on day 5 of anything. I was on Carafate and Prevacid for about 8 days then had to stop the Prevacid because it caused so many other problems. However I went back to just Carafate and didn't notice a difference until this week. Week 3. Going on 4. I think it'll be another month or so but it's obvious now that with time it does get better.. As grueling and tortuous as it is lol.

• Posted

Do you know what caused your ulcers? Omg 3 weeks? I have such a weak sensitive stomach too. Most of the time time the nausea is as bad as the pain. I have a huge RX for Zofran but it never really seems to help. Yesterday I tried to have macaroni and chease and my stomach was very upset with me. What did/does your diet look like? I hate eating now it's so boring eating bananas, oatmeal, or rice all day.

• Posted

I'm convinced my ulcers were caused from Drinking Wine frequently and then taking Acetaminoph the next day for headaches. Usually both can be safe but in increased amounts or too closely together can def. disrupt the stomach lining. I used to be quite the party girl in my early twenties, so it makes sense it all caught up to me lol. Eating sucked so much when it all started. I could barley eat. Everything hurt no matter how bland. When I could handle food again, I ate a lot of soups. Chicken breast. Sandwiches. I baked veggies a lot. Spices can hurt so it all has to be pretty plain. Atleast until healing begins. I was so worried food actually made them worse when it hurt but my doc said the food isn't the problem, it's the acid. So that made me not so afraid to eat. Hope you start to feel better soon. I also have Zofran for nausea and it usually works like a charm for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.