The Power of Silence

Posted , 8 users are following.

If there is one thing that has irritated or saddened me over the more than 30 years with Fibromyalgia, it is the attempt to explain this condition and the symptoms that go along with it. In general people just do not want to listen. They are wrapped up with their own struggles and challenges in life. I have found personally that respecting ourselves and giving ourselves the nurturing that we need, has been much more beneficial to my over all well being. Trying to explain this condition is like asking a blind person to describe a sunset. I cannot stress more how important it is ladies, to find your own self worth. To get to know the courageous person you really are and to cherish her. We will never get the understanding or true compassion that we are seeking. Not trying to explain or describe our struggles has been liberating for me. Just respecting yourself and your own limitations, actually gains the respect of others. That has been one of my greatest lessons of life. 

4 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

A lovely post Magpie, and totally true! It's not an easy thing to do to find your own self worth, but vitally important to our own wellbeing.

Thank you for your reminder 😊

• Posted

I think it is one of the keys to our wellbeing Boqer. Once we stop explaining and trying to solicit a little compassion and understanding, we can use that energy to try to build our own self esteem. Just taking personality tests online can give us a real boost. Getting to know our qualities instead of tearing ourselves down because of perceived flaws and failiors. We would never say to a best friends some of the self defeated thoughts we say to ourselves. We really need to be our own best friends. I think FM ladies are some of the most remarkable women I know!
    • Posted

Sadly we play into the hands of people who can be emotionally abusive or critical. Because of our low self worth, we are a real target for this type of insecure person. Again, the need to respect ourselves and our situation. That is the strongest reply we can give. Silence when we are criticised is the strongest argument we can give. It shows the person that we don't need to explain, argue or justify ourselves. We just feel confident enough to allow them to work it out on their own. The more we object, or justify ourselves, the more fuel we give them. They often want us to argue or to just get a reaction. The best evidence of self respect is not to give them a reply. Just to go about our day giving ourselves the support we may not receive from others.

• Posted

Hi Magpie2me, Thanks for psiting such an inspiring message - which has come at exactly the right time for me and has really helped me out.

• Posted

Very well said. Accepting ourselves no matter what we have to live with is always the greatest lesson of all!

love your way of expressing how important it is to love ourselves warts and all.

• Posted

I agree beautifully said. It is suprising how many times people ask what your condition is and then try to give advice, that is usually quite inappropriate. It is hard to be kind to yourself and your body and not punish it for failing you. I have had to learn techniques of coping and finding relief in the things I enjoy and can still do. I find mediation is helpful and concentrating on the essential thing that motivates me, such as love for your family or love of the beauty of nature.
  • Posted

Such a true message 😕 It's so not easy

• Posted

I Agee that it is not easy Julie. But it also certainly not easy to have to justify why we are in pain, why we can't do what we used to, why we don't always look sick, and so on and on. It actually preserves our energy not to try to justify what, why, how, etc. When you have a strong sense of self, you can simply smile and display dignity, instead of arguing or giving proof of this sometimes debilitating condition. People are then more  prone to respect your situation. That has been my experience. I resolved in myself not to be a victim.

• Posted

Hi

I agree I feel exhausted having to say it so many times, I struggle with accepting I have this condition and I feel so alone in a daily basis because no one gets it. I push thru daily but I'll admit it's hard. At my age it's not easy to meet people or even find someone who will listen. The worst is having to tell your family over and over n they say oh u look happy or oh nice of you to get up or oh u look great 😡 It's like enough already. I'm scared just thinking about the future and it getting worse I mean my skin has been so itchy and dry lately it drives me nuts I just don't no anymore

• Posted

We do often expect our family to be understanding. But really they are just like anyone else. They only see us as whiners if we talk about our aches and pains and other symptoms. The important point Julie is that you know and you doctor know. That is all you need really. Be kind to yourself and try everything that can help you. Self help books, reading up on what helped others to cope, things that build you up and not tear you down. You don't have to try to make others understand. The only time they would, is if they had to cope with this condition. So rely on your own resources to give yourself what you need. 

• Posted

Juliect do you mind me asking how old you are?  you dont have to say. It is hard to meet people who understand us and the constant repeating is not fair. People sadly dont seem to listen as I have found out.  I am 41 and need to work and therefore need to get my employers to understand but all I get from her is 'my mother has it so I know all about it' wouldnt even give me the chance to try and explain about my absence from work.  My skin is also very dry so I try and moisturise at night but thats only if I have the energy.  Sometimes its all I can do to get up the stairs. 

• Posted

Hey hun I'm 45 and I totally get it I've gone thru a lot of options I just haven't listed here but if you want to chat privatlybj can give u my email. The only way to approach the employer is with medical documentation. Stay positive

• Posted

Lovely post Magpie. I thoroughly agree with you.I certainly have struggled to try and explain and get people to understand.  I think its easy to say nothing cos people dont want to listen especially employers or atleast my employer. 
    • Posted

Yes unfortunately there is very little sympathy out there today in general Marie. So I believe that the less we say, the better. To address it as a matter of fact without explanation. You do your best and on the days you are really unwell, state it with confidence and that you may not be able to perform or even come in. If you were a Diabetic and you had a severe adverse reaction one day, they would not question your absence. Treat it as any other chronic illness. It is a fact, and does not need to be explained and pleaded each time. That is how I dealt with it when I still worked. I had to quit at 55 but I am proud of how long I lasted. We all have our limit my dear. All I am encouraging the dear ladies, is to give yourself the respect you deserve and to stop trying to make people have empathy. Many do not. You did not choose this condition! It is what it is. Your Silence is very powerful! 
    • Posted

Thank you Magpie.  I am not ready to quit yet at 41 as I have two sons still to support. Its lovely hearing from you though.  And you are right why should we have to explain and thank you when I go back I shall do exactly like you mention treat it as any other chronic illness and if I go in one day I shall explain what I may and may not be able to do, I am sure the equality people will soon have something to say about how my employer has treated me so far.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.