The Puke Up side effect

Posted , 3 users are following.

Anybody have this happen?  Had Surgery Jun2. Feeling progressively worse. So this week: hot/cold, puked up both days, had to get out the zofran so I could actually eat something, dizzy, head stuffed with cotton (zombie head), neck ache, head ache- had to break out the tylenol/codeine.   Contacted GP, who I just saw on Tues. She thinks I have a viral infection. Symptoms are VERY reminiscient of Pre-Chiari surgery and Post-surgery. Bleeck!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hey! All I want to say is keep your chin up! I think everyones biggest fear here is that Chiari symptoms will come back or get worse. Maybe it is just a viral infection?

Keep us posted and try to take it easy! wink

• Posted

Just remembered I got a flu shot Tuesday. Most of the symptoms came on thurday. Never been sick from a flu shot before!! Ugh!! Well maybe I'll lose a pound or two!

• Posted

How's it going in the hospital? I am missing having someone take care of me and bring me food and clean up after me.

• Posted

There is a bug going round with sickness, it's easy to blame it on chiari as I suffer with nausea since op 2yrs ago but have medication to help. If you have it long term and not just few days then get it checked out, hope it eases hun x

• Posted

I was discharged yesterday. I arrived home at 2PM. I spent 4 ffull days there, 3, 5 of them was post op. I actually miss the hospital. Especially this morning, my stitches been giving me a rough time. And I miss I.V. mannitol, they use it to reduce swelling in brain, it helped to manage the headache.

I was given prescriptions for lornoxicam 8mg 2x day, it sort of helps, I'm not in too much pain, at least I don't have severe headache, but while I was on mannitol I didn't have any headache at all. My NS prescribed also bromazepam 3mg before going to bed. It's ought to help with insomnia which started after surgery, but it doesn't do much, I was awake half of the last night. 

My relationship with food is improving. I'm not nauseous, but I simply don't want to eat. I'm eating a little because I realise I have to. While in the hospital, I was fighting with myself to keep down every bite of food.

Ride home wasn't that fun. I was in a car for an hour or so, and my parents decided to go to the mall as well. When I got into the mall I felt ok, but after few minutes I went back to the car, my head was starting to get dizzy and I felt really weak. When there was 20 or so km left until home, I realized my dad drives quite roughly. I started to feel every bloody bump under the tires.

Getting up from bed is a little torture, so is lying down, I brace myself by saying out loud - I can do this :D  I can stand up from sitting position and sit down quite well. My NS said I should be able to walk 1km a week after surgery. I can manage a couple hundred of meters for now, who knows, maybe. The bad thing is - the weather here is horrible, I should go out, try to have a walk, but how am I to do that, if it's windy, rainy and cold? Oh, and one more thing - I hate my pillows. It took me 3 days to get used to pillows in hospital, I simply can't find a comfortable enough position to sleep in here, at home.

Sorry about all this - my biggest problem is being to talkative.

• Posted

Thanks!! I haven't had a flu bug in eons and never been pukey with it.Hope thats' all it is!! Don't want more Chiari Complications!

• Posted

WOW!! Can't believe you were able to go to the mall! I haven't been able to do that since I was like 20. I didn't have the energy to walk very far and I had a walker. My limbs were all exhausted!  Where do you live? It is sunny and fall her in Indiana. I would never have been able to walk more than to my bathroom and back. 

The pillow thing is difficult. I have numerous squishy pillows and just use those. Even the "soft" pillows from the store are too hard. You may have to take out some stufing. 

Do you have somebody staying with you to help out? It is nice to have someone, but not the hubby, who gets annoyed if I "ring the bell" too often. He has NO EMPATHY and is a terrible nurse!! On the rare occassions he has been sick or had surgery, I have been a fantastic nurse to him. BUt it is not in his skill set!  His mom is about the same, so it must be inherited! Really fit people don't like to be around us sick ones!!

• Posted

There is a rather small country in the EU called Latvia. That's where I'm from. I live by the sea, and this time of the year here is usually quite wet and windy, this year hasn't been an exception.

For now I live with my parents. They're helping me. I'm trying not to exploit them too much, but I ask for help when I need it. I have never been so aware of my body as now, and I could never imagined how many movements actually involve neck muscles. My neck hurts all the time, but I guess it's due to muscle retraction during surgery.

• Posted

Just relax and let them help you!!! My parents would help me, but they are both dead. My children would help me, but they have to go to work. So I rely on my pup to take care of me. She likes to sit on top of me as a deterant to puking, she thinks!! She actually like to try to get into my puke up bowl to see what it is. NO PUP!! Stay out of the puke up!! 

So did they manage to not cut off too much hair when they cut your head open? My docs did pretty good!!  If you have long hair you can cover that all up!! I have shoulder length hair that I never go have the beauticians cut because they always screw it up! So I usually just cut it myself. No one notices except my 21 year old toddler who likes to tell me that everything I do is wrong.

• Posted

My new strategy re: Puking up. Eat whatever I want. Chocolate, Hash Browns, Whatever!!! Won't gain any weight, will puke it up later!!!

• Posted

Sounds bad. Majority of women dream to loose some weight, but puking isn't the best way to do that. Get well soon!

• Posted

Spent nite looking up ICP. intracranial pressure. Think I should go to ER?
    • Posted

I don't know how the system works in USA, but if you think it's that serious, maybe you should call the ambulance? I can't give you a list of other symptoms which appear in case of elevated ICP, but paramedics should be able to determine if you need to go to the hospital. Also my NS gave me his phone number and instructed me when to call him-maybe you should contact your NS?

• Posted

MY NS is on leave of absence since he did my surgery in JUne. I got passed to a different doctor who is clueless. I insisted on getting another MRI in August and finally got that scheduled in Sept and then when I got to the hospital, they canceled it and said it was wrong test and I didn't need it. Then got an MRI which said nothing because no way to compare it to the Cine MRI. Finally called the damn office and requested to SPEAK TO MY DOCTOR!!! and lo and behold, they put his sorry ass on the phone and he said "Sorry Darling, I dont know that much about Chiari, even though I'm a freaking Neurosurgeron!!" He referred me to another NS, who is supposedly the Head Guy there. So my appt is Tues. 

I called the nurse on call and she said to see if I have a temp (I don't) and maybe I just have a flu bug, but I can go to ER if I want. And to make sure I'm hydrated!! Well. Hard to drink anything when it comes up later. BUt will keep on trying. 

• Posted

This is why one must spend all awake time following the hystrionics of the Pres Election since it is so much more entertaining than vomiting all the time! Even if you aren't from US, apparently, our election is the laughing stock of the world right now- so I'm guessing everyone knows what's going on!! I already voted so when they dump more FAKE WIKILEAKS on us, it makes not difference to my vote!!! HA!! Can't wait till Drumplestiltskin is hoisted in chains while his victims roast his ass!!!

• Posted

That whole situation sounds bloody screwed up. You can't just cut someone's head open, poke around a bit, patch them up and forget the patient ever existed. rolleyes

Keep holding on.

I suddenly remembered - maybe ginger tea would help with the nausea? To a boiling water add a couple of teaspoons of fresh ginger root cubes, some lemon slices, and honey if you want it to be a bit sweet? It never helped with my Chiari nausea, but it helped with food poisoning nausea and some stomach bugs.

• Posted

EXACTLY!!! Well if I live until Tuesday, I will be seeing my third doctor. Will try the Ginger!!! The Zofran has lost it's effect!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.