The Rabbit Hole

Posted , 4 users are following.

I cant seem to get ahead of this. After a lot of heavy bleeding last winter we found out last May that i had a fibroid. It was a LONG summer waiting for surgery. Finalky had surgery ib October but the fibroid was embedded in the muscle of my uterus. So they couldnt remove it. After much discussion we decided a hysterectomy was my heat choice. My preference was to leave both my cervix and ovaries intact. But due to other conditions we've discovered since then both my cervix and ovaries have to be removed. So...a complete and total hysterectomy. Scheduled for April (when my sick time rolls over). Sometimes i'm overwhelmed by it all. Just when i think i have things under control something else comes up.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi shelly i had total hysterectomy 19th december my fybroid was size yellow mellon also it was imbeded at the back of my utris i was scared but knew i need this done op was ment to be 1hr and a hslf took 2hrs and a lslf as it was imbeded and stuck fast im now 3 weeks into recovery and doing ok just started going 15 to 20 min walks im still sore but its getting there wish u all the luck keep us posted i just turned 50 so hoping life starts at 50 c
  • Posted

My absolute and total fear is just that, a total hysterectomy.  I read where 9 out of 10 hysterectomies are not necessary.  Please don't just take one doctor's word that you need to have this done.  Get a second opinion from a gynocologist.  

I also have three fibroids, two of which are in the wall of my uterus.  I am having them shrunk with hormone therapy and then hoping to have the Focused Ultrasound treatment that is guided with MRI to destroy them all.  

As women we need our ovaries for hormones.  Just because they can hand us some pills doesn't mean the issues will be over.  My friend had a total Hysterectomy and she was allergic to all the add back hormones they have to give her.  Did you know that there is only 3 types of add back hormones?  What are you going to do if your allergic to them?  You will have to be on them for many years to come.  More money out the door.  

Ask questions.  Google everything you can.  Be educated.  I took my doctor's word as gospel and I found out 10 years later that he didn't even know what he was talking about.  He quoted me the first paragraph from a web site he had looked at.  

My question is did they find out that your fibroid is in the wall of your uterus before they did surgery?  Or did they find out after?  If they found out after I would lose 100% confidence in the doctor.  A simple ultrasound that takes 20 minutes could have told them that information without surgery.  I would also advise you to get a second opinion from a gynecologist before proceeding with any more surgeries.  Find out if what you have been told is true and accurate.  

The only two reasons that I know of for removal of the cervix is severe prolaps that is beyond repair (yes they can repair mild to moderate prolapsed cervix).  The other reason for cervical removal is cancer.  

Removing ovaries is also risky.  It is not necessary to remove an ovary if it has an inactive cyst on it.  But it should be removed it if the ovary is discharging puss, or twisted or if it has cancer.  In many cases leaving one ovary is better than taking them both.  

Again, be sure of your doctor's motivation.  My understanding is that they get paid more for each surgery and each organ they have to deal with.

I don't mean to scare you.  But I had trusted my doctor with all my heart and he has proven to not be as knowledgable as I thought.  I could have prevented a lot of health issues if I would have done my homework.  No doctor is perfect.  Sometimes they will say what is best in their opinion because there is logic in taking out everything rather than letting you go 10 years and then having to take the rest out later.  They see many patients every day.  The only person that has 100% of our health as a priority is us.  

Don't rush into surgery.  Check the facts thoroughly first.

• Posted

Hi!

Thank you so much for your advice. Its been a long process.

The doctor in question is my gynecologist. He's excellent and throughout this journey I've spoken to nurses and other people who have been patients of his, and everyone says he's the guy to go to. I have lots of other issues and he's been trying to steer me towards a hysterectomy for years, but after untold hours of research, I decided it wasnt for m, at that time. He has been great, and respected that. But, I think now the time has come. He knew prior to my  last surgery that it was unlikely he could remove the fobroid, but there was other work I needed as well at the time, so we went ahead with the surgery. He told me right away afterward that he wasn't able to remove it.

He gave me plenty of options and even asked if I wanted a second opinion or wanted to wait to consider my options. I have no complaints with him.

The reason for removing my cervix is that it's not regerating itself as it should. Its a pulpy bloody mess. He's cauterized it 3x now and it just keep deteriorating. Completing a hysterectomy and leaving that in place would only be doing half the job.

The plan was to leave my ovaries, but he noticed in a review of my file that I have endimetriosis and the scar tissue is right where my ovaries are. He said he will try to leave them (or at least 1) but he wanted me to know if advance that it might not be possible. He even called me at home to go over the risks and the possible complications.

He's a good doctor. I trust him.

It does seem to get more and more complicated though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.