Thigh muscle cramp

Posted , 125 users are following.

I have often had calf muscle cramp, but this is easily dealt with by walking about. However, last night I had a thigh muscle cramp which was far more acute than anything I had had before. The pain was excruciating and lasted ten minutes. My face went grey and I almost fainted. I couldn't walk and massaging seemed to have little effect.

11 likes, 310 replies

310 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I can & do feel for you as I get thigh cramp, & it is the inside of my thigh from the groin to the knee, & lasts for 5 to 15 mins. I have a heart cndition & the spray I use for my angina seemed to ease my cramp last night?

If age has anything to do with it I am 57.

• Posted

I often get these cramps, I have found that the best relief comes from not getting up and trying to stretch (which is agonising and does not help!) but try to relax into the pain if possible, it does go much quicker this way. Drinking water possibly helps and taking a homeopathic remedy called Mag Phos, number 8 in the New Era range - available from most chemists.

Good luck

• Posted

I'm assuming you are not in the United States with your reference of a chemist. I'm assuming that would be our pharmacist? I'm not sure the medication you take would be available in the US? I have these same insanely painful spasms. From my knee up to my groin, inner thigh. I cannot walk and nothing helps. I bare it as long as I can then cry. No doctor can tell me why. I also get them up the front of my shin from the ankle to my knee, again I cannot walk. I do drink tonic water with quinine that helps somewhat. I'm looking for a cure. I'm wondering if any of you have had weight reduction surgery?
    • Posted

I have found that wearing soft leggings or tights to bed helps. My new doctor has suggested a magnesium supplement or Calcium/magnesium/zinc combo. I haven't tried it yet.
    • Posted

yes as it happens Suzanne i have had a gastric sleeve end july 2014 but these cramps have been going on for me for 20 + years now.
    • Posted

suzanne i have had the surgery, but my cramps just started and my surgery was 13 years ago

• Posted

Yes -- I have had weight loss surgery, and suffer from these cramps as well. I too have been looking for an answer, because I cannot take potassium now, because of another medication. Last night the shin cramp was pulling my foot back toward me so painfully I was in tears. When I attempted to rub it out, I had a sudden excrutiating pain travel up the inside of my calf, to thigh and around the front of my thigh into the hip. I was scared that something very serious was happening.  Fortunately, as quickly as it happened, it was over.  But it was tremendously painful. I just started drinking Tonic Water trying to help ... it's been minimally helpful. Pickle Juice sometimes helps, but I don't typically have any due to sodium restrictions.

• Posted

Last night I was in a restaurant on a first date when the back of my thigh just locked, which ever way I tried to move it just wouldn't give it was excruciating and lasted for 10mins, thought I was going to pass out at one point......just wanted the ground to swallow me up! The poor guy didn't know what to do.....and neither did I!!

I went through a bout of calf cramps every morning a while back and found a sports massage, although agony, really cured it. The masseur found the knot and pressed it firmly for what seemed like ages but it certainly did the trick. I do hope the thigh cramp was a one off. Tho will try some Mag Phos. If it happened again I think the best way would be to try your best to stand and walk, hopefully you won't be in the middle of a restaurant with a guy you barely know though!

• Posted

Lassie. ..ye canna think yer gonna walk this off. You haven't had the real pain then. Every step toward a drug cabinet takes you further from bed. No amount of assurance from any loved 9ne or stranger will help. Its drugs or lie still as and just let it pass. Yo7 can hit the area but massage tends to worsen it. Muscles are tensing with signal electrical overload. ..get it in both legs take stongest drugs you have. Crunch them up and swallow with lemonade or soda water. Bubbles get it in to the bloodstream. Just do it. Sleep with soda next to bed.

Good luck

• Posted

hi.   yes poor bagel.   i know all and any movement makes it so much worse, i can only cry, and writh in pain.  it pops out from such intense cramp. and blood vessels break. i get warnings days prior. in sleep i wake up and i can feel it twitching and trying to cramp. and it always wins.  the demon in my muscle.  yes it is from the nerve not getting feedback single to stop tensing, and so it continues until it finally fatigues. what a cross to bear.  does anyone on here have ms? that is my plight but add this and OMG!!!!!

ice helps mine.  in less time sometimes. but it is sure a steep mountain to climb.  i do not know about sex for the rest of you all but to move the wrong way or tense too much muscle and here it comes. not always  my cramps come in  waves of bunches and then nothing for months. but the intense head here this year is making it worse and more often. 

i am sorry for all of us to have such 

• Posted

I also get cramp in various places but am with you all when it comes to cramp in the thighs. I was interested to see I was not alone with the near feinting and once had it in both thighs resulting in being sick. I do find I have to get up and generally head for the bathroom, I find that cold water on my face, neck and thigh helps stave off the feinting and eventually helps alleviate the intense pain.

I also seem to get bouts if I stop walking after a period of exercise, or starting walking after a period of idleness – so perhaps it’s better to do one or the other.

• Posted

Hi,Ive had that cramping in the upper thigh quite a few times,the first time I stretched in bed,well I nearly couldnt handle it,Ive never had such a deep horrible pain like that before,after reading bout others that get it,it helps to know your not an isolated case,but today 14th April its the 3rd day in a row Ive had it, this third day not nearly so bad,its telling me it could start any time.if there are any medical staff reading this,why? does it occur,why so very painful and what can u really do to help,Ive been imaging my thigh vein was blocked or something or is it circulation,lack of salt.someone must have some answers,if you have the answers let us all no please
    • Posted

I have had thigh cramps about 2years every 3-4 most. The pain is do severe I was at dinner and had my date to bring me home. I was told that my magnesium is low. I take citrate magnesium everyday but I want it to stop. Glad to know I am not alone is scary.
    • Posted

I've spoken to 3 doctors, none of which know the cause. I take potassium and magnesium every night before bed and if my legs are showing fatigue I also take a mild muscle relaxer. I drink plenty of water, I've had several blood tests with everything normal. I drink tonic water with my spams that my husband has to get for me. It has to say contains quinine. I can't walk with my spams so thank God for my hubby. I've suffered for about 6 year's now. I now longer lay with my knees together to sleep, it brings them on for me.

I'm beginning to wonder if it has something to do with my lower back? I'm misersble! Move very slowly when getting up from a chair, give your muscles time to catch up, so to speak, i move very slowly when changing positions in bed too, or getting out of bed and I refrain from stretching in bed, it causes them for me. I did find otc medication called Leg Cramps I keep by my bed. They dissolve under your tongue. Easy to find at Walmart. I've consulted my PC doc, my orthopedic, and my vein clinics doc...none of them know why. They pain is so servere all I can do is cry for 10-15 min and I pray/beg God to take the pain from me and heal me. My husband feels helpless and is starting to really worry.

• Posted

Hi Suzanne, I just order the Leg Cramp by Hyland. Is that what you have? I didn't know you could get it at Walmart. I haven't tried it yet because I don't get cramps every night. I sometimes go for days w/o them. Have you had any success with it. I read the reviews and there were a lot of people saying it worked. I'm pretty skeptical but since it doesn't cost much i thought I'd give it a try. They also make a cream that was getting even better reviews and folks were saying it was faster. I find myself getting very angry when I can't get rid of them. It's so aggravating when you think you've walked them out and as soon as you get back in bed they're right back.

• Posted

Hi Joan.

Im not sure about quinine. My doctor once said that you'd have to drink 200 gallons to get any benefit. Another oldie but a good was to put camphor chunks under the sheet at the foot of the bed. I think Mum just wanted my feet to smell better.. I just completed a 27 hour day. I sat down for most of that welding. My ass is the culprit...I'm sure of it as my cramping pain was just in front of mt ass from but well behind the knee. It was if there was a big worm moving in and around in there. Very uncomfortable...were it to have developed into a double cheek pain-a-thon.

I have type 2 diabetes. If I'm lying down..dont fight it. Lie very still.. I think the muscles are hit by electrically misinformed reactions.

Good luck from down Under

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.