Thigh pain after hip replacement

Posted , 156 users are following.

I'm wanting some feedback on high thigh pain after a hip replacement.  I am 68 years old (female) and am 10 weeks post op cement hip replacement due to severe arthritis.  I have been going on very well and thought all my troubles were over, but have now developed pain which seems to be centred just underneath the buttock and goes down the leg slightly.  I have been doing the exercises that are given to you and the pain started when I had done a batch of them.  Speaking to the physio she indicated I may have strained my hamstring.  Am due to see her in ten days time, but I have read that this type of pain is not uncommon.  Has anybody else experienced this?  Am on painkillers again and very disappointed with this set back.  Am I expecting too much too soon? Hope to get your feedback.

21 likes, 418 replies

418 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Soxy!

I'm 9 months out and had the anterior approach.

I mostly get  high thigh pain in the front of my leg when I overdo it.

Just don't do anything which causes groin pain.

My doc said to stop doing what I was doing if this would happen.

Just give yourself time. The surgical pain eventually goes away. It's just feels like a long journey to get to that point.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Thanks for your quick reply.  I have been very careful, but my pain is at the back of the buttock just at the start of the top of the leg, so I guess it is really low buttock pain, which I should have made clear.  No groin pain at all.
    • Posted

I am almost 6 months out, and this just started as well. I thought it may be due to a minor infection, and since I am heading get to the dentist in a few weeks, I had just picked up some amoxicillin recently, and started taking 2/day. Thinking and reading your note, I was at the gym just a week ago, and felt that I may have overdone it, but honestly, since I have RA, and the seasons are changing, I don't know what to think.

• Posted

Does this happen when you first stand up and walk around?  I know when I am sitting too long and when I first take a few steps it hurts upper leg and thigh. I am six weeks out LTHR. I am pretty much walking around thehouse with no aids. Just getting where I can sleep in bed. I have been sleeping in a recliner since my surgery. I went out yesterday several places no walking aids..feels good to not have to deal with dragging a walker around with me.
    • Posted

When i sit too long and get up, i have thigh pain down the front of my leg   Had surgery 12/10/16 so its about almost 3 mos. ago.   Going to see my surgeon next week to have him check out why i have this pain. I dont take many painkillers   Maybe 2 ibuprofin before i go out .  I havent had any walking aid since 3 weeks after surgery.  Hope this goes away eventually.  
    • Edited

Camille, does the pain in the front of your leg seem to be muscle pain or is it coming from the femur (thigh bone)?  It is normal to have pain for a while in the femur because of the stem that was hammered into that bone.  It takes a few months for the bone to grow around that stem.  I'm 7 months post FRHR now.  I had pain in the front of my leg from the bone healing until 5-6 months.  I'm now pain free. 

• Posted

Soxy, I have suffered with sciatica in the past.  A few weeks after having a FHR I noticed that the same pain came back.  It ran down the back of my leg from the buttock area.  Luckily, this pain diminished after a week or two of Physical Therapy to tighten my hip and alignment back up.  I haven't had anymore issues since.  Have you been doing PT? 

• Posted

Oh good   I feel like its muscle pain.  Its really hard to tell where the pain is coming from.   Im glad to hear you are pain free now.  Im 3 mos so hopefully it'll keep improving.    Thanks for the input.  

• Posted

I am thrilled to listen to such success stories!

I had my THR almost 5 months ago. At 6 weeks my chiropractor stretched my operased leg across my body (over the other leg)whileI was lying on my back. He applied resistance asking me to push up against his arm..to strengthen the ileo psoas muscles. Xrays show the non cemented titanium hip was still in place. I haven't been without meds or a cane since then! Lots of re balancing after getting up from sitting or lying down! I'm a health coach and speaker...with 5 adorable little grand babies.. and cold damp Canadian weather -17 c! When does life ignite again?

I'm fit and only 5 lbs over my fighting weight..Disappointed a bit! This was not arthritis but a congenital deformity..extra bone on hip ball..scraped away all cartilage...hip is fine..just can't walk pain-free with any balance! Hmmm?

• Posted

hi pilotswife, 

warm welcome to our forum and thank you for your post -

Maybe you can start your own discussion (see; green box) as you are now posting in a discussion that is over one year old ... only the original responders will see your post if they still are with the forum ...

Big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hello Kimberley!  I have been so reassured by your post as I am really concerned about this thigh pain..I had the anterior approach replacement in September and in 2 weeks I was back to normal and thought it was almost miraculous!  BUT 3 mnths after the operation I atsrted getting this pain,itching and burning on the outside of my thigh..I went to another surgeon who said if it's infection it doesn't proceed quicky and to wait for a year before having a bone scan,which is the only way to test for infection.... I am very anxious as I've had 3 other operations and each time I had infections but none of them concerned BONE.I sincerely hope it's what you describe and I AM a little more hopeful after reading about your experience.Thankyou and take care.X

• Posted

From my experience, there are ways other than bonescan to detect infection, and they include blood tests and hip aspiration. In aspiration, they use a needle and fluroscopic guidance to take fluid from around the ball of the prosthesis and the hip bone. Then the fluid checked for infection. With blood tests, they look at results that indicate inflammation, which points to infection. Those tests are erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), C-reactive protein (CRP) and plasma viscosity (PV).
    • Posted

I am 5 months post op of right hip replacement. I too have had thigh pain and have been concerned about the femoral stem pain. I have been doing lots of stretching and weight training and may be doing too much. I will be having bilateral knee replacement in October so I am trying to get as strong as I can before then. I am 48 yrs old. Good to hear this pain is normal and hoping it subsides.
    • Posted

Hi

48 is really young . DO YOU HAVE A GENETIC PREDISPOSITION?

I CAN'T SAY ENOUGH ABOUT HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO GET AS FIT AS POSSIBLE BEFORE SURGERY.

WHERE DO YOU LIVE?

WILL LOOK FOR YOUR REPLY.

P.W.

• Posted

I was very active in sports (volleyball and a hurderler) so lots of jumping and pounding on my joints! I live in upstate NY and our weather has been horrible this spring (raining and damp) not a good combo for Arthritic joints. I find heat is the most soothing for my knee pain.
    • Edited

I had my anterior THR in mid Jan 2017 (Stryker Accolade II, Mako robot for acetabular component placement).  I started getting this anterior mid-thigh pain also.  It was a bit lower than the end of the stem so it may NOT be from this.  Only when standing or walking (esp. loading and unloading parts of gait cycle), not when sitting.  Sometimes it feels more like a deep muscle spasm. It does temporarily respond to roller massage (!).  Still trying to figure it out.
    • Edited

Hi Kimberley.I had a hip replacement a month ago today. The pain in my thigh area is almost unbearable. Don't know how much longer I can take this. I also have a very bad knee on the same leg. Doctor said he will have to do surgery on it after I get on my feet from the hip surgery, It's good to hear the thigh pain is normal. Thanks so much

• Posted

Kimberley, glad you are pain free. I'm 7 month post op and still have mid-thigh pain. Did you do anything special to relieve your pain when you were having it? I don't know if i should walk or take it easy. I think laying on my sofa makes it worse. Thanks, Dave

• Posted

H Camille , I'd be interested in the outcome of your doctor's visit. I'm having similar shooting pains. Think mine are due to being back at work and having to lift and carry heavy weights also go up and down stairs quite a lot. Thing's were going so well!

• Posted

Hi mary, my husband had a THR over 2 weeks now and he's doing well he had only a bruises on his thigh for a few days but in 4 days its gone, he is using his walker only for 5 days and pretty much he can walk and stand without using anything, every now and then he take pain medicine. we started going to the mall last week, but 2 days ago suddenly he have a pain on his thigh and groin maybe too much walking and specially riding a car in and out, so for now he is resting in bed, relax until the pain goes away on his thigh and groin.

• Posted

And he has another surgery at the first week of december this year for his left THR.
    • Posted

Linda, I had an anterior hip replacement May 2015. I am still in pain. And especially in my groin and when I put any weight on my leg. When I walk too much (going grocery shopping) my leg seizes up like a Charlie horse and I scream it hurts so much. Most days I spend trying to keep my leg from cramping up, but really with any activity I pay for it. Very frustrating. I like to hike, kayak, play with the grandkids, etc. Can't travel cause I can't sit that long. Anyways, I hope that you are doing better. My stem is cemented and everyone says it looks fine, but I don't understand the extreme cramping in the big muscle in the front thigh. I didn't have the cramping before the surgery, just the pain...

• Edited

The same thing is happening to me if I sit or lay for a long period of time my first steps are painful. it is more in the front and a little in the groin area.
    • Posted

Unfortunately I have the same thing I am 4 month post op. But not improving , 
    • Posted

I had Hip replacement Dec 18th 2017 so it will be a month tomorrow, my upper hip area is Big different from the hip that wasnt replaced after walking a little or even laying my skin expands like if it wants to pop just want to know if this happen to you
    • Posted

Hello

I had my new hip 9 weeks ago.

I had a posterior approach incision and the operation site was very swollen for the first4/5 weeks. It's still very early days but you will notice the swelling subsiding gradually. Mine is back to normal now so probably yours will be the same very soon, trying gentle exercise and walking helped I think.

Good luck

• Posted

I had anterior HR 3 mos ago. About 1 mo ago I developed severe pain when I walk after sitting even a short time. It takes about ten steps for the pain to go mostly away. No pain when sitting. I am able to play golf which I couldn't before surgery. Good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. Hoping time will resolve it.

• Posted

Hey there! So you are about 3 months Post-op? How do you feel now?  I had a posterior and am currently 9 DAYS post as of 3/11/18. I have the swelling, I guess it is expected. I have some thighs pain as well. I continue to do my 8 hospital exercises each day X2. I cant wait to be post 3 months. I hope you are doing well and hope to learn from you. The do’s and Dont’s smile
    • Posted

Hi there,

I had posterior left THR on 14/11/17 so I'm 4 months in....

The swelling will go down the more mobile you become it takes a little time.

As for thigh pain, you can expect that got quite a while according to my surgeon it's very common.

Apart from discomfort not real pain I'm doing wonderfully well thanks and my scar is amazing.. Can hardly be seen. I'm no expert but my advise it don't over do it or expect too much of yourself it's a major op. Gentle exercise as advised in hospital and to walk a little and often.

Before the op I had to use crutches for 14 months now I can walk anywhere but struggle on hills... My ligaments don't like hills and let me know it lol.

Don't be afraid to take medication if you need it... Key word is patience and which I might add I am the worlds worse and started too much too soon, it's not worth it.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, keep in touch, all the best 😃👍🏻

• Posted

Hello. I'm a 68 year old man in a senior softball league, after a 30 year career of amateur baseball. In late 2016 I had THR with the posterior approach. Had a spinal before surgery. My pain level never above a 2, even 14 months later. On Valentine's Day 2018 I had the other hip replaced, this time the same surgeon decided to do the anterior approach, with an epidural. Now, five weeks post-op, my pain level averages 4 or 5 and I often wake up at night with thigh, groin and knee pain on the side of anterior approach. I take Advil Liquid gels every other day.as I am very active. Doc says be patient, pain will subside.My thoughts--my change an almost perfect thing. Wish I had gone with posterior with spinal this time also! 

• Posted

FREDRICK 55191     HAD MY THR ON OCT 25 2017 I ALSO HAD THE ANTERIOR APPROACH. IF I SAT LONGER THEN 10 MIN. WHEN I GOT UP IT WAS VERY SORE AND STIFF. SLOWLY WITH TIME ALL THAT HAS GONE AWAY. THE MAIN THING IS DONT OVER DO IT. WHEN I TRIED TO DO TO MUCH IT SET ME BACK.  BE PATIENT STAY ACTIVE BUT WHEN YOU FEEL TOO MUCH PAIN STOP AND REST. YOU WILL BE FINE. GOOD LUCK GOD BLESS AND REMEMBER DONT OVER DO IT!
    • Edited

Just for the record too, I could not live without my heating pad!  
    • Edited

I used heating pad too occasionally gave me some comfort, I did physio therapy too I found the best exercise is just walking I started with 300 m and I am up to 2km per day now , if I stop walking I fell my legs getting stiff 

Good luck to you all

• Posted

My thigh pain is still with me 2.5 years later .... Only when I do leg lifts - which I WANT to do because I WANT to be fit and strong 😢. Stationery bike hurts like the blazes after a minute or 2 on very low effort

• Posted

I get pain when I do stairs, I am ok with walk

I walk about 2k daily stiff sometimes 

Good luck 

• Posted

Well, I'm 3 1/2 years out and am still in excruciating pain in the thigh area. Saw a new surgeon a week ago only to find out I need to have my THR re-done. The bone did not heal properly to the metal rod and it is loose and wiggly. Scared to death to have this re-done. After having been told for years that the pain is all in my head, I had almost started believing it. The surgeon has given me 6 months to make my decision. The original surgeon informed me that I have the bones of a 90 year old woman due to smoking (I don't need lectures from anyone about that... I know I need to quit, but after nearly 50 years it's not that easy). Has anyone out there had the revision surgery? I wasn't scared the first go around but this time I'm terrified! I know a woman who had to have the revision surgery done for a knee replacement 4 times and they ended up amputating her leg. I did everything I was supposed to post surgery : physical therapy, home exercise, etc., but they said I was doing too much and put me on total bedrest for 2 weeks, then back to easy home exercise with lots of rest. Nothing helped. Then they began with the "it's all in your head " stuff. I've had to be referred to a pain clinic in order to survive the pain these last few years. The new surgeon says this is as good as I'm going to be if I don't get the revision surgery. I know no one can tell me what to do, but if there's anyone out there who has had it done for the second time and can let me know how everything turned out, I'd appreciate it!

• Posted

I wish we could put signs up on these horrible surgeons’ doors to warn people of the cr@p job some of them do. Honestly. And most will NOT admit to a mistake ... as if they’re gods in their own minds 😳

• Posted

Has anyone on these forums mentioned DMSO as a pain relief remedy? Sounds like the stuff of miracles, but I’ll take snake oil at this stage if it would help!?
    • Posted

Thanks for the feedback Annie. The original surgeon was supposed to be the best on the east coast... When after a year I was still in pain I requested a second opinion. He reffered me to his partner in the same office. Of course he wasn't going to say the original had done something wrong or had missed something. Then my insurance cancelled and I had to wait for my disability to kick in so I could have insurance again. That's why it took 3 1/2 years to find out what was really wrong with me. Would still like to hear from someone who has had the revision done...

• Posted

Ouch!  I’m 77, had right THR 4yrs ago & left THR 1yr ago.  ANTERIOR approach.  Stopped smoking approx 14yrs ago & have osteoporosis & osteopenia in various parts of my body.  I have had NO PAIN from either op after 2wks or so. Fell down my outside concrete steps after being home for 2 days, fractured right femur, & was in hosp almost 2 weeks due to GOUT in right foot, making it impossible for me to walk.  On the left hip, it was necessary for them to do some repair work on my left thigh because of osteoporosis.  I was still out of hosp in 2 days, but it took over a month for me to recoup because of the additional femur repair.  Had PT 3x a week for 2 wks.  I can do pretty much everything I used to be able to do, except slower.  However. If I walk or dance too much, I suffer at nite.  Cramps from thigh, calf, foot, toes will keep me awake all nite.  That’s when I take the oxycodin  prescribed 4yrs ago!  I never needed it after my surgery, it’s now very old, but puts me to sleep.  If I’m ever prescribed pain meds, I get them, whether or not I need them!  Exercise seems to hinder me...not help.  I’d probably be afraid if a revision was ever necessary.  I broke my right wrist about 15yrs ago, & it hurt for over a year.  I moved, saw a different orthodoc, he operated & removed all the hardware (Metal T & 8 pins that he said were too long for my wrist).  I can still type quickly & do most things that I used to do with my right hand.  However, it was hurt by an anxious (rough?) PT person who refused to remember my loud scream, & the top of my hand now looks like that of a 90yr old lady!  When I use the hand too much, it feels ‘funny’...no pain tho.  Could it possibly be that the SIZE of your hip rod is incorrect?  Check your report from your first THR. See if a size is indicated (width, diameter, etc).  It has been my previous experience that when a Dr says it’s in your head, it’s because he can’t figure out the problem!  (If that happens, it’s tme to see another Dr!) When I broke my right femur, they had to go back into that THR, make a longer incision (from 3” to 9”) & insert a rod of a different size.  I guess you can call that a ‘revision’, & I’ve had no problems with it.  I’m not to see my orthodoc for another 10yrs, or never if I don’t feel I need to.  Since I’ll be 87 in 10yrs, I don’t think I’ll want to see him.  I wish you the best & would appreciate your advising what you decided & the results.  Remember, that if they don’t do the ANTERIOR approach, they cut your tendons.  That’s dangerous in itself, in my opinion.  My orthodoc was 100+mi from where I live.  I went to 3 local orthodocs before I made my decision.  Have a great supplement to Medicare, & it didn’t cost me a cent.🤪

• Posted

Thank you so much for the feedback! I was advised prior to the surgery to quit smoking but he never said why or if he did it didn't sink in. The new surgeon told me that if I don't quit he will not do the surgery. During the first surgery, when they cut the bone (femur) a large chunk kind of v-shaped broke out of my remaining femur and they had to wire and screw it back into place before inserting the rod. I always felt like something was wrong with the patch job. According to the x-rays and CT scan that all seems to be intact. The surgeon said he won't know for sure until he gets in there though. I would love to be able to quit smoking, but there are 3 other smokers in the house which will make it that much harder. I've tried all of the standard meds for quitting with a severe reaction to each, my next step will be hypnosis I guess the cigarette companies had it right years ago when they stated : " if we can get someone to smoke for a month, we will have a customer for life". I'm happy for anyone who has quit, and a little envious! My husband is 70, retired and wants to be able to travel, but I'm in such pain after a 20 minute ride to Walmart that I have to use an electric buggy. I'm still on the fence about getting this done again but your response has given me a glimmer of hope that everything could turn out better than it currently is....

• Posted

I went thru everything, including hypnosis, to quit smoking.  Nothing worked until I lost my job a couple weeks before I turned 62!  (Geez...15yrs ago!). I sat in my little condo & knew that I had to learn how to live on less.  Had 2 cigs left...smoked one...said goodbye to the other one & tossed it in the waste basket.  Got up the next morning...remembered I had one left...took it out of the trash...smoked it like there was no tomorrow...& never smoked again.  I can go into a bar where smoking is allowed, & it doesn’t bother me.  I can have friends over who smoke, sit outside with them smoking, & it doesnt bother me.  I keep an ashtray on my deck & another in my screened-porch.

Maybe this will scare you into giving up cigs:  Friend who doesn’t have diabetes in danger of losing the toe beside her big toe because of a horrible bunion that brushed against the toe, caused an infection that she did not take care of.  She lied to Dr & told him she quit smoking a year ago.  He recommended amputation...she was against it for about 4 months...finally had toe amputated...told to stay off of it...she didn’t...went shopping for her roommate at least 3x per week...walked roommate’s dog at least 2x per day...didn’t keep it raised like she should...continued to smoke...now foot is swollen...leg is swollen...toe hurts where there is no toe...blood flow messed up because she’s not doing as Dr ordered & because she still smokes...it will not surprise me if she loses her entire foot, then her leg, because she is lying to Dr & not doing what was recommended.  It has to do with blood flow. I can drive (me & my 2 dogs)100, 200 miles with no problem. However, when I go to Walmart, Sam’s Club, Home Depot, etc, I use the electric cart — not because I hurt but because I’m lazy & will get tired easily.  Basically, I have no pain!  None.  Nada.  I don’t exercise but do play shuffleboard & bocce ball every week.  I also dog-sit for about 6 customers in my home, which requires me to walk my 2 & 1-2 others 3-4x a day.  November & December are my busy months.  April & May were super busy this year.  Good luck!  By the way, I still have times when I miss smoking.  Don’t think that will ever go away.  A couple times a year, I’ll bum a cig from someone & almost CHOKE to death!  LOL

• Posted

My mom started smoking when she joined the Army during WWII, so in her early 20’s. Then, at age 62 she developed an aortic aneurism the size of a small rugby ball. Doc said he wouldn’t operate on her unless she stops smoking, pointing out all the horrible consequences. Up to then she’d always said she’d never be able to stop smoking. Boy! Did she stop and fast! But she was a widow at that stage and was living alone, so temptation was kept at arm’s length. Only at work was she tempted and made a point of sitting with the non-smokers. She was a nurse and even the nurses had a smoking room! LOL
    • Posted

Dimethyl sulfoxide. Ranchers here used to use it on their horses when they had a sprain. Then, one of the ranchers said it helped the arthritis in his hand after applying it to his horse. The rest is history smile I've never tried it. Too many questions about possible skin irritations etc. Proceed with caution.

• Posted

Hi Ellen - I am so sorry to hear about your situation. If it's not too personal of me to ask; what test was done to diagnose the loose/mal-healing bone? I had a bone scan done. The process took me the better part of a day. I don't like the lecturing either. It really serves no purpose. During my process; I learned that I have osteopenia, so I immediately started on supplements and got a blood panel that showed I was very low in Vitamin D that helps to absorb calcium. As a side note; I take Metamucil for fiber and found that it can hinder vitamin absorption if taken too close to when you take your vitamins. One ortho told me to start HRT - on a minimum dose of estrogen to help restore bone health. Thank goodness - my pain was not due to loosening and the vitamins and minerals can only help.

There are surgeons that specialize in THR re-dos. That's what I would be looking for. A second opinion from a Specialized Specialist smile. Do you happen to know which type of rod was used for your HR? Mine was the kind where the bone grows through the rod not the cemented.  I think the type of rod used makes a difference in the prognosis of a re-do.

I wish you very best.

• Posted

Hang in there Joe. I know you wrote this 7 mos ago at 4 mos post-op, but even at 11 mos post-op you may still have some settling to do. This surgery is very invasive and affects  several nerves and muscles. Then there is the internal scar tissue from all the internal cuts that were made and they stretch and shift.

Hope you are doing well.

• Posted

This is a specialized specialist...thats all he does is redos. And yes my bone was supposed to grow to the rod and didn't because of the smoking. He did a CT scan and saw a lot of shadows around the rod indicating lack of bone. It also showed up on the x-rays but not as prominent.

• Posted

Poor you! I think I’m heading for revision too. No improvement whatsoever in the past two months after I was prescribed statins by a stupid cardiologist. I can’t believe how many specialists I’m coming across that are beyond stupid!?
    • Posted

Hi Kimberley. Having just come across your post this is exactly the info I was looking for .Now it makes sense about the pain in the femur. I am 4 months in and am glad to know that it is quite common.

• Posted

I was really stunned when my surgeon said I had the bones of a 90 year old woman. For at least a year prior to my surgery I was put on the injectable boniva once a month, vitamin d and calcium just to build my bones up since I had had the bone scan and they discovered that I had osteopenia as well (I'm not sure if it was you that mentioned that in one of your posts...ive read so many now lol). Anyway, I would have thought that a year of that would have built them back up better than that! How old were my bones prior to all that medicine? I was also put on staying a couple of years before surgery due to AAA running in my family. Then they added a heart medicine because they found that one of my heart valves was back washing. At the time I went in for surgery I felt I was pretty healthy other than the smoking and it's not like I was even a heavy smoker. Less than a pack per day. About 2 months after my surgery, my primary care doc closed his doors and a month later my husband retired and I lost my insurance. It took 2 more years for my disability to go through so I ended up having to stop all my meds (except I couldn't go without my pain medicine so I found a way to come up with the money for that each month). I have just within the last month found a new primary care doc who wants to get me back on all my meds before I have the redo done... Hopefully 3 or 4 months of it will be enough to make a difference. I'm sure they will schedule another bone scan and tons of other testing, but the whole redo thing still has me worried. I'm very confident in this new surgeons ability, mainly because he pinpointed the problem within a week or two and has given me the choice of whether or not to get it done. If I don't, he said I will have to live with this pain the rest of my life. I still need to check with insurance to see how much of it will be covered since I now only have Medicare with a supliment package. Living off social security is tough enough without having a $120,000 bill thrown in on top of my current bills! Thanks for letting me vent. I've not had anyone to talk to about all of this who truly understands what I'm going through. My husband just doesn't get it and has enough medical issues of his own to worry about!

• Posted

I’m the one with osteoporosis & osteopenia, who’s had both hips done as well as a fractured right femur (which necessitated a THR re-do) & a repaired left femur while receiving the THR.  I haven’t had a husband for almost 50yrs & live alone on my SS w 2 dogs.  My AARP supplement has paid for everything Medicare has not.  However, I have no drug ins.  Take drugs for hi BP & osteop, which does not equal what I would have to pay monthly if I went on a drug plan.  You haven’t said his old you are, but it seems that you must be new to Medicare.  I’m 77.  First year went with Humana, & that sucked.  One hr drive north, 49min drive south, to see ‘their’ Drs. Now I go where I want, to the Drs I want, but my monthly chge for the supplement is $213 or so.  My cable bill, which included phone & Internet, was higher until last month!  Don’t know what I’d do if I had your drug needs!  I Tried to reduce my supplement ins, but when I told the ins rep what plan I had, he advised me to NEVER change it, ESP SINCE it is no longer offered!  My $200,000 hip replacements & fractured femur from my fall, did not cost me a cent, including 2 ambulances...one of which drove 100 miles to a hospital that I insisted on!  I WISH YOU THE BEST on your re-do!  Sorry for all your pain.  I visited 3 orthodocs before settling on the 4th.  2nd & 3rd opinions are important!  Good luck.

• Posted

I have the aarp united healthcare complete choice plus. I turned 60 in Dec and am only getting Medicare because I'm on disability. I need to check with them today. I do have drug coverage but it's not the best. My pain clinic has decided to change up my meds to get me off the roxycodone. Everything they have tried me on I have either had a bad reaction to or couldn't afford so I've been a month now with nothing for pain except ibuprofen which does nothing for me. I've even considered trying to get something off the streets but I'm too scared to! 😂

• Posted

I have United’s Plan J, which is no longer offered.  I still have oxy left from THR June 2014  & then fractured femur on same side after falling down concrete steps.  Geez, don’t go to the street people!  Sorry you’re in so much pain. 😥

• Posted

Thanks, I go back to the pain clinic in 4 days. Guess I can wait till then after being so long without!
    • Posted

This is when I'm glad I live in California. I'm 70 and have been in pain for 30 yrs. My ankle (the limp wore out my hip > which led to THR) is another story. I switch off with arthritis medicine, percocet and cortisone injections so as not to build up a tolerance to any of them. I went to the local shop and bought a bag of chocolate chip (indica) cookies. It's a very nice, clean store and they even give you 'credits' against your next purchase - kinda like Target LOL. One half a cookie with milk at bedtime and I sleep like a baby. Sativa for daytime - Indica for nighttime.

• Posted

I’m sorry for all of us who continue to be in pain. I’m 4 years out and still having thigh pain. It was hinted by one orthopedic specialist that my implant might be too long!  I went to a pain specialist who prescribed aquatic therapy and Voltaren. I must say the pain has eased but it is still painful to climb up and down the stairs and to carry something heavy.  I’m going to have to live with this pain until I can save the money to have a revision or a redo. 
    • Posted

Sorry to hear about your pain.  Those whom I’ve met who still have pain, did not have the ANTERIOR hip replacement.  What about you?
    • Posted

Not quite 3 years now, but close. It feels as if the muscle didn’t grow back ‘straight’.  Front leg raises lead to bad pain and cycling even worse. Stair climbing involves a swing-around. Normal walking is fine. 
    • Posted

Wow!  That sucks!  The people I’ve sent to my orthodoc had fantastic results.  Both over 65.  One was told it wd take 6mos to recoup.  I recommended him to my doc 2hrs away, he went, liked him, had the ANTERIOR surgery, & came up to the shuffleboard courts 3 WEEKS LATER & walking unaided!  The other stuck his leg up in the air & had a pic taken with a big smile on his face.  A year later, he had the 2nd one done, with glowing results.  I just have to think that your Dr was just starting on the anterior THR & did not know what he was really doing.  I did a lot of research.  My orthodoc was one of the first to introduce it in the Ft Lauderdale.area. There was one where I live whose nurse told me the operating room table was turned upside down, that the hospital didn’t need the special table to perform the ANTERIOR THR.  Wrong!  So sorry.  How many patients of your Dr were u permitted to speak with?  My Orthodoc has a luncheon for all patients where questions can be asked & answered.  Nothing is hidden.

• Posted

Annie, yours sounds like mine. Find you a fantastic 3rd or 4th opinion. Get a CT scan and blood work done. If it's an infection, they will need to operate immediately! Toxic! If like, in my case, it was the bone not properly healing to the rod, surgery in six months or less. The only test my surgeon did washroom place his hand on my ankle while lying on the table and told me to raise my leg. The pain was excruciating! That's when he ordered the tests. I haven't scheduled the surgery yet, but that's because I haven't quit smoking yet... That's coming. Please get checked... I was thrilled just to find a Dr that didn't say it was all in my head!

• Posted

So sorry.  Please see my response to ellen69079.  My left THR was a year ago, & included a ‘repair’ to my left femur due to osteoporosis.  No pain.  My right THR was 4 years ago, with a right fractured femur 2 weeks later from a fall down my side concrete steps. I’m enjoying all activities, even dancing, at the age of 77!  Medicare & my supplement paid for everything, so I was financially lucky also.  Will be happy to give you the name of my orthodoc if you’re close to Ft Lauderdale.

• Posted

Ugh!  I did a lot of research & saw 3 orthodocs where I live who did the posterior.  Everything I read told me to get the ANTERIOR THR.  I found a great orthodoc in Ft Lauderdale who specialized in the ANTERIOR & who worked with a hospital that had the proper table.  I forget the name of the table, but if the hospital doesn’t have it, there’s no way a proper anterior can be accomplished IMO.  Best of luck.  Hope you can find out the reason for your pain.

• Posted

Hi Eddie!  Your post is 5 months old so I'm hoping that today you are doing better.  I am 3 months post-op from anterior THR.  The majority of my issue was a severely torn labrum which caused debilitating groin pain.  Thank the Lord, all of that groin pain is gone.  I do have a problem that the new hip leg is longer than the other leg which I have discussed with the surgeon.  The xrays show that I am even at the hip level so I'm assuming that the variance must be with the two knee replacements I had done 2003 and then 2007.  But I never had problems after those surgeries so I am baffled.  The gait definitely causes some discomfort in the back so I have to find a way to correct this by shoe lifts, which I hate that idea but don't know what to do.  I also wanted to say that I have times when I have pain in my thigh and down that leg.  That concerns me but reading on this forum I see I'm not the only one.  I hope it gets better over time.  I pray that you are enjoying your new hip and your golf game!

• Posted

Found your reply really helpful i am 6 weeks post operation .and have just that pain.front top of thigh going for my checkup Wednesday
    • Posted

I am 16 months post op from posterior THR and experienced no complications from the surgery itself except for thigh muscle pain right from the get go. This pain has now progressed down to my knee which is causing great difficulty to walk without a cane but do get some relief from 1000 mg Tylenol and 800 mg Advil twice daily. My surgeon has no idea why. Has anyone else experienced this. Tks

Bob

• Posted

Yes, I am 2 years post op and although a little better now I still get pain which I believe is from the bursa at the side of my operated hip. In my case the scar is right over the bursa and I think it was damaged during my hip replacement operation. Pain in the bursa can radiate down the leg and is very debilitating especially when walking and I have to carry a stick around for when it gets too painful. Given a few more months I am hopeful it will fully heal but it may not do so which is also worrying me and depressing as my wife and I have loved to take long walks over the years. Best of luck and I hope it gets better for you eventually.
    • Posted

I have the same problem I don’t take a lot of pain killers only panadein fort when the pain gets really bad but definitely changed my life style 
    • Posted

I am now 8 months post-op from Anterior hr. I no longer have pain when I load on leg after sitting. So just takes time. After golf I still have soreness but hope in time that goes away too. After surgery, I thought my leg was longer too. Xrays showed it wasn't and in time that feeling went away. Best of luck to you during your rehab phase. 

• Posted

R u feeling any better?  I met a lady last week who is still in a walker 2 years after her THR!  Something’s wrong!  A lady who lives here had an infection develop due to an improper posterior THR & was in bed for almost a year with an infection that went from her hip to her eye!  They had to remove everything, leaving her with no hip until the infection cleared!  If you’re still in pain, please see another Dr.  

• Posted

Good to hear that. I have not yet hit the fairways. I had my 7 week check up and was told maybe after 3 moths I can try golf again .shame as I am going to my villa in Portugal mid September. Might just try some short game lol
    • Posted

I saw a 2nd ortho surgeon, but the news on my knees is not great. Seems patellas are not worked on in South Africa or Europe. Unlike the US where the patella is almost routinely resurfaced during a total knee replacement. This makes NO sense; particularly in my case where I TOLD the dr that my patellas were a major part of my pain. So now the want me to wait until 12 months to see if there if there is any improvement. 

Well, I can tell him for free that there will be no improvement. Arthritis doesn’t go away with time. I am beyond angry at the situation.

As to my hip, the surgeon used a prosthesis with a much shorter neck on the right hip than on the left. So now my right leg is shorter than the left. I also have slight scoliosis of the spine on that side, which compounds things. I can even walk from one end of a shopping mall to another without developing bad pain from my groin into my buttock. 

I’ve lived with pain for so many years now and I’m tired. Sick and tired. I’d jump off a cliff if I wasn’t so scared of pain 😜

• Posted

I’m so sorry for you!  I cannot imagine what you are going thru!  You will probably get/are hooked on pain pills, & that’s no good either.  If you have insurance, keep on trying to find a Dr. This wait-12–months is BS.  Geez, so many Olympians come out of S Africa & Europe, that I know they gotta have some good surgeons around!  Good luck!

• Posted

Sad to say I’m now 4 years post THR and still in pain in the mid thigh area. I have a great pain specialist who prescribed Voltaren, had 25 sessions of aquatic therapy, have a TENS unit and exercise. One orthopedist alluded to the implant being too long for my leg, otherwise they have no other ideas or any that they want to express.  Unfortunately I can’t afford a revision or redo and will always be in pain. 
    • Posted

Oh Debra, I'm so sorry to hear about your issues with the THR. If you have been following this thread, you will see I have the same problems, except for the fact that I quit my pain clinic and have yet to find one that will solely focus on that pain . They want to try and disprove everything I have been diagnosed with by other doctors. Wanting me to go get 5th and 6th opinions on everything... Who can afford that?! So life goes on but the quality of life stinks. I have been dropping weight like crazy since I don't have anything for the pain. I'm hovering at about 100 lbs. and have started drinking the ensure plus drinks to compensate but to no avail. There is so little I can do now and my husband is fearful I will just waste away to nothing. These were supposed to be our golden years but mine seem to get more tarnished with each passing day. Falling down more often now too and fearful I might break something... haven't yet, but worried. I will get the revision surgery if I can quit smoking (hard to even think about with the issues I'm dealing with) and if my insurance will cover a great majority of the cost. So in actuality, I'm probably going to have to live with the pain a lot longer or even for the remainder of my life as well. I love this forum and being able to vent and cry on everyone's shoulder. Everyone on here understands what we are going through and most have sympathy and suggestions. I wish everyone speedy recoveries and a pain-free replacements!

• Posted

I quit smoking 4 years or so ago and started using the vapor substitute.  It’s not perfect but better than all that tar.  There are so many different kinds out there that one should work.  It let me keep the habit with a little nicotine and I know it has helped tremendously because my cough is gone and I don’t wake up with a nicotine hangover 
    • Posted

Helen my sister has had 3 revisions already. Dont worry. Just find a good surgeon and make sure your Vitamin D3 levels are high. Do not allow them to do the revision unless you are at least at 79 on your vitamin D3 blood level. My sister's revisions went fine. She had one revision in each leg and then another revision 4 years later but now she is fine and not in pain. I myself had my THR anterior aproach on March 1, 2018 and I am currently having mid thigh pain when walking more than 3 blocks. It is a stabbing pain. Also the first 10 steps after being seated for a long time feel terrible. Very stiff

• Posted

I have a friend who uses that vapor substitute like a lifeline!  Instead of a phone like most people carry (except me), she carries her cig...drops it on the floor of my car, in a restaurant, in a movie theatre, loses the tip part in the passenger side of her seat, yada yada.  Always seems to be puffing on it & losing it!  She has many other medical issues, & just turned 65.  Glad to hear it works for you & hope it is helping her.  She is addicted to it.  Best wishes.

• Posted

dear Ellen. as an ex smoker of 48 years I managed to stop 11years ago. I found Alan Carr's books" Easy way to stop smoking " p l us "only way to stop smoking" really helpful. I suffered each winter with dreadful chest infections. my doctor could not believe it when he sounded my chest to find it was clear. that was after one month. the shocking thing for me was how easy it was to stop . I kept expecting huge withdrawal problems which never happened. I could breathe again started cycling and walking lost twenty kilos.!! taste buds came back.

I recommend you read the books..he advises people to continue smoking while reading his book no pressure.. wish you get yo u r life back

• Posted

I am having thigh pain at the bottom of the stem. The dr said it is not healed at the top of the femur so the stem is moving. Was your pain towards the bottom of the thigh, closer to the knee than the hip? I am 3 months post op and have pain when I walk and pain flares that can be quite terrible. Your post gives me hope that maybe my dr is right and I just need time for it to heal. Others have said if it has not tightened by now it wont.

• Posted

The pain I am having goes from mid thigh to around my knee. I suspect it is from nerve entrapment but can not get the doc to listen. On my apt for the second opinion the doc said he wants an EMG done so I am in that process now. until then I am using a TENS machine and when it is working the pain goes away. as soon as it turns off the pain returns.

did your doc take an xray to show the bone is not forming around the prostheses?

• Posted

he looked at my xray and told me the bone has not tightened enough around the top of the stem. The top of my femur fractured during surgery and is cabeled. He said the bottom of the stem is hitting my bone on the inside and until the top hardens it will cause pain. He is confident it will heal, me not so much.

• Posted

Hi Ellen, I just got on this forum looking for info for my Mom who is 94 and is having extra pain last few days - could be related to 20+ year old hip replacement.

I was taken with your story - especially the smoking issue. Like others, I was a long term smoker (36 years) and I quit 3 years ago - not cold turkey- "educated" cold turkey is the way. I can't believe how doable it was - the mental anguish thinking about quitting and arguing all the pros and cons before I quit was far worse than anything, mental or physical, after I stopped.

To echo what John48380 said below - the Allen Carr material is great. But also, a wonderful website and related resources is www.whyquit.com - brilliant eductaion on why we smoked and how to stop. Alternatively, google Joel Spitzer or John Polito.

Anyway, the very best of luck to you - I hope you can start moving forward.

• Posted

I hope you managed to sue them, letting you think it was in your head. This is the most annoying thing about doctor's, why can they not just listen, instead of being so dismissive. Good luck

• Posted

That describes my pain. I am 5 months post-op. the pain started when I was waking up after surgery. The muscle was spasming. it took a few weeks for this to back off but it fluctuates more and can still get severe. I have times when I can can't sit, stand or lie down. I just keep changing positions and trying to massage it. I am having water therapy but so far it doesn't to help. This is driving crazy. Do you have any relief yet?

• Posted

HI Lori,

Ive just seen a physio about my thigh pain. mine is at the back of my thigh where is joins my bum. the physio said the answer to all these problems is stretches. the muscle is weak from being cut and needs strengthening again. squats and lunges . i do 2/3 sets of 15 every day. plus look up resistance band stretches for hips

• Posted

I had a total hip replacement in Feb. 2016 on my right side. I'm in my 50's, and also had the left hip replaced at 49. I had no problems at all with the left THR. I have experienced exactly what you have described with mid thigh pain on my right side. It can happen while standing or walking while carrying something that is slightly heavy. It can come on suddenly or feel like it is ramping up quickly and hurts so much when the pain hits that I almost scream. It happens intermittently, and is also relieved with a roller or a massager that we got at Costco. I first experienced thigh pain the first summer after my THR, then it went away completely for about a year and since then, it comes and goes out of the blue. I've had it quite often this week, which is why I'm on here looking for answers. Was your thigh pain ever solved? My surgeon said this can happen, and they don't always know why. Yikes. Thanks in advance of your reply.

• Edited

How awful! How are you doing now with your thigh pain? Did your revision work out for you? I had a THR on my left hip at 49, and my right hip replaced 3 years ago, 4 years apart. My left hip has been great. No muscle pain at all. On my right side the pain can come on suddenly across the mid thigh area. it can be if I've stood to long, or if I've lifted something even just slightly heavy and then walked with it. Uneven ground can also cause it. I can feel the pain ramping up, and I know to brace myself. It's excruciating. My pain can pass fairly quickly, or last on average from 3 to 5 minutes. A roller or massager really helps mine to help relieve the pain until it passes. I can go months with no pain at all, then all of a sudden I'll get hit with it, like I have been this week. Just searching for answers from others who had the same thigh pain. I so hope that you are feeling better now. Thanks in advance of your reply.

• Posted

Are you still experiencing this thigh pain? If not, how long did it last?

• Posted

linda18111

Are you still experiencing thigh pain and if not, when did it stop?

• Posted

No, it eventually went away. It took probably 9 mo to a year. Strange that so many people should experience this, but little to no medical explanation for it. Thanks for asking.

• Posted

hi all i am almost 3 weeks since a hip revisiomafter 6 years of pain from a slight popping when i bend so i went to a ortho xray taken first dr put the stem in crooked and it never settled right anyway 3 weeks out and now i am having sciatica pain havent for years now my thigh feels like its shortened the pain is horrible anyone else have this its scary since im tired of the walker im misurable im on major pain meds from other surgeries 20mg of methadone pills 2 5 oxys soma and im crying thanks for letting me vent

• Posted

You have described exactly what I'm experiencing now. i too had a Stryker implant. I'm 8 months post thr. Wondering what you found caused your pain? Has it gone away?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.